Buddies v Jambos 13/05/23

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

How I saw it at the time albeit from side on. A 100% good professional foul to break up play and a solid booking that you're happy to take. I thought I must've missed something really sinister for the red to come out so quickly.

A referee pulling a red out for that is fucking ludicrous and to be honest,  the ref had an utter stinker today for both teams. A really bizarre, shite performance in what was otherwise, a good match.

Definitely this.  It’s the type of yellow card foul you see in most games to stop a counter.  Never a red card in a million years.

8 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

It was never a red card and explains why he was so quick to give the penalty

And as someone pointed out above, it was never a free kick for our second goal

What is the point of VAR?

Agree on the first point but I don’t think VAR can look at incorrect free kick decisions can it? 

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Enjoyed this, great content 

Splendid; it wasn't for your eyes, but hey-ho

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

You could coach them on Administration while you're at it...

Well,  someone had to pay for our now up-to-scratch Euro compliant Stadium

We sure  as f**k weren't going to pay about £24M for 3 stands, so someone had to get bumped

How much will codheids have  to splash out if you could make the group stages of Europe?

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

You could coach them on Administration while you're at it...

Step one for us was raid the poppy fund. That was morally acceptable given our sacrifice in WW1. 

Step two was steal from Bosnian pensioners and Lithuanian Government. Slightly dubious I agree but they probably enjoyed the 2006' and 2012' cup wins.

St. Mirren will probably have to rely on bake sales. It's worked for Dundee a few times so you never know. 

5 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Another one who doesn’t specify who they want to read/respond to their posts on a multi club open forum. 

Well aware of the big picture; you're just sad about the other shit that wasn't mentioned

Quite a lot, pal, eh?

🫠

22 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

not a goal scoring opportunity and VAR would never give a penalty had the ref not given it

these guys are c***s 

I agree that refs in Scotland are c***s, but are you saying a foul in the box has to be a goal scoring opportunity before it's a penalty?

Good result in terms of being down to 10 men and coming back from 2 down. 

Not a good result in terms of 3rd place. All we can do now is hopefully beat Aberdeen and hope to apply some pressure. 

Haring's red was an absolute farce. 

Penalty was a penalty I think. On the softer side but Flynn is very sloppy.

1 hour ago, paranoid android said:

I agree that refs in Scotland are c***s, but are you saying a foul in the box has to be a goal scoring opportunity before it's a penalty?

I would personally love to see that rule change.  Far too many stupid penalties for handballs when there's zero danger.  

2 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I would personally love to see that rule change.  Far too many stupid penalties for handballs when there's zero danger.  

Cannae see that happening any time soon, like - what's the award if an attacking player is fouled in the box, but it's not a scoring opportunity? Indirect free kick? Nothing?

The rules around VAR and handball in particular absolutely must be looked at in the summer.

It does seem silly when pens are awarded for softish fouls while deliberate pushing and holding at set pieces is ignored. 

3 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Funnily enough, a lot of your fellow supporters were adamant that the penalty we didn't get in the last minute in the 1-0 loss at Tynecastle for a blatant handball was the correct decision as 'the ball was going out of play anyway' so perhaps it's just trying to keep consistency of thought?

Good game, wasn't it?

Really poor refereeing throughout, I thought. A funny kind of feeling to the game that I think you only get at this time of year That weird kind of outcome where coming from behind to draw away from home is still a bad result.

What can you do? It was fucked weeks ago. Good day out.

On 13/05/2023 at 18:10, DukDukGoose said:

Unlistenable? That's Bobby Madden's voice.

Generally speaking, when looking for and promoting referees, the authorities presumably want people who are overly - almost unnaturally - calm, painfully detail driven, not likely to allow emotion to cloud their judgement and not overloaded with the sort of personality which makes them keen to be noticed.

So why on Earth broadcasters think that makes them ideal presenter fodder is a mystery. f**k sake, Stuart Dougal for instance - as well as being the most obvious mouthpiece for his fellow refs, regardless of common sense - must have the most boring voice on the planet.

On 13/05/2023 at 19:04, AW saint said:

It was a definite penalty. Flynn should know better. Our decision making needs to be better. 

On a plus side was there a better player than Strain on the pitch? He was superb

MOTM by a country mile for me.

On 13/05/2023 at 22:33, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I’m too sickened to dissect the game.

But the ref was an absolute disgrace. The free kick for our second was never a foul. O’Hara was just beaten to the header. A total 50/50.

Halliday not booked for blatantly wiping out Kiltie. As clear cut a yellow as you’ll see.

Taylor was fouled for pulling back his man. 90 seconds later Main is pulled back in almost a carbon copy incident. No booking.

Haring’s red is just a joke. A total joke. Embarrassing.

The penalty for me is a shocker. There’s not enough contact for Ginnelly going down like that. It’s just not a penalty.

The ref was a definite 1/10. Total pellet.

Agree with all of this (with the minor caveat that though I thought it was a penalty so soft as to count as the runs rather than shit, both teams' strikers would fall over like that for a penalty and hope to get it - did Curtis Main not do something similar not so long ago?)

This has been the best match thread of the season, I have to say. A couple of daft posts, but generally, both sets of supporters talking sense and admitting that the ref was shite.

27 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

MOTM by a country mile for me.

He's going to be in demand in the summer I fear. He's one of the very best full backs I've seen in my time supporting Saints.

A shite game for him is still a 6/10 performance.

I thought Taylor was superb on Saturday and honestly think we'd have had it sewn up if he'd stayed on as he had both Oda and Ginelly in his pocket - his forward passing, for a centre half, was also consistent and dangerous, a clear upgrade on Dunne's World Cup final big diagonals but I 100% understand why he was taken off. His one lapse led to a daft booking and we know he is prone to that.

Grieve was also causing a power of issues to the Hearts defence but took a sore one trying to get a shot away about 10 mins before half time - it was a fantastic last ditch block by the lad Sibbick but I dunno if Grieve kicked the turf or the top of Sibbick's foot but he clearly hurt himself and although we gave him every chance, his race was obviously run by that point, surprised it took as long as early in the 2nd half to take him off.

On the subject of Dunne - I like him and always have but since it became obvious he wasn't signing a new deal, he's mentally thrown in the towel. Saturday was dreadful from him.

11 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Funnily enough, a lot of your fellow supporters were adamant that the penalty we didn't get in the last minute in the 1-0 loss at Tynecastle for a blatant handball was the correct decision as 'the ball was going out of play anyway' so perhaps it's just trying to keep consistency of thought?

A foul in the box is pretty much always going to be a penalty.

The rules around handball are all over the place, and need to be addressed in the summer, if the authorities can be bothered - they probably think it's all working just fine.

Consistency of thought? Never gonna happen.