Scottish Cup 2023/24

Marten

28 minutes ago, not man of the match said:

It's got nothing to do with Clydebank agreeing. The only offer I've heard rejected was to play it on alternative weekend. That's not to say there hasn't been others but FW have been rather silent on it all by all accounts.

Clydebank will be there. It's upto Fort William to find a solution.

The point I was responding to was specifically that Clydebank should have to agree to a venue change as well as the various people all over social media saying they shouldn't have to travel up to Golspie.

I've no idea what's going on in the background and have no love for FW and their chairman but if they offered up an alternative licensed venue from a team they share a division with that would seem reasonable in the circumstances.

15 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

The point I was responding to was specifically that Clydebank should have to agree to a venue change as well as the various people all over social media saying they shouldn't have to travel up to Golspie.

I've no idea what's going on in the background and have no love for FW and their chairman but if they offered up an alternative licensed venue from a team they share a division with that would seem reasonable in the circumstances.

It's a shame Orkney are playing at home that day.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

I do think it’s a bit much to move a tie 120 miles further north and expect the opposition to just suck it up but if it has to be Golspie then I’m sure we’ll get on with it.

1 hour ago, not man of the match said:

I do think it’s a bit much to move a tie 120 miles further north and expect the opposition to just suck it up but if it has to be Golspie then I’m sure we’ll get on with it.

That's the crux - is FW's ground unavailability adding 260miles to Clydebank's round trip reasonable?

3 hours ago, not man of the match said:

The only offer I've heard rejected was to play it on alternative weekend.

I'm amazed that was even considered.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

That's the crux - is FW's ground unavailability adding 260miles to Clydebank's round trip reasonable?

For a league match. No

For a cup match at the ground of a team in the competition, with contributions to travel expenses paid by the SFA and weeks of notice. Yes. Not ideal but IMO Yes.

As well as being free and licenced, if the hosts are only entitled to 20% of the game receipts who would want it?

Seafield might be an option as Speyside are at Nairn. The irony is Holm Park might be just about the next nearest licensed ground to Claggan free on the day.

All that said I think the SFA have to announce something this week given we will be a fortnight out by Friday.

If I'm betting I'd say the impasse favours Clydebank as the likelihood grows they will be asked to host.

On 28/07/2023 at 12:19, HibeeJibee said:

Seen that suggested, but surely not... it'd be wild even by the latitude Fort often seem afforded by the authorities.

Fort William tie update - Clydebank Football Club (clydebankfc.com)

Fort William proposed an 8pm kick off on the Saturday evening, which was declined by us.
The previous weekend was also unsuitable - as we’re scheduled to play Cumnock in the league.
Fort William have confirmed our Scottish Cup second preliminary round will be played at King George V Park home of Golspie Sutherland FC.

what-huh.gif

Given that Clydebank were offered 2 reasonable alternatives (to my mind), and the SFA barred it being played at Holm Park, I don't think Clydebank have much to moan about. The full statement from them:

Subject to Scottish FA board ratification, Fort William have confirmed our Scottish Cup second preliminary round will be played at King George V Park – home of Golspie Sutherland FC.

The tie will take place on Saturday 2 September, with a 3pm kick off. 

When the draw was initially made, we were contacted by Fort William who explained that Claggan Park was being used for the annual Ben Nevis race that day.

In looking for alternative arrangements, the Scottish FA would not sanction a reversal of the fixture, nor could the tie be played any later than the weekend of 2nd September. 

The previous weekend was also unsuitable as we’re scheduled to play Cumnock in the league – with Cumnock also having a second prelim round tie on the 2nd.

Fort William proposed an 8pm kick off on the Saturday evening, which was declined by us.

The Scottish FA were satisfied Fort William had exhausted all other avenues – including alternative grounds – and are set to sanction moving the tie to Golspie.

34 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Given that Clydebank were offered 2 reasonable alternatives (to my mind), and the SFA barred it being played at Holm Park, I don't think Clydebank have much to moan about. The full statement from them:

Reasonable? Get real. They’ve now decided to move the game hundreds of miles of round trip away despite there being other closer grounds available. Fort William are a farce of a club. 

2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Reasonable? Get real. They’ve now decided to move the game hundreds of miles of round trip away despite there being other closer grounds available. Fort William are a farce of a club. 

Have you never played an evening away game or postponed a league game for a cup game before? 

Just now, welshbairn said:

Have you never played an evening away game or postponed a league game for a cup game before? 

Why should we postpone a league fixture that we’ve worked hard to secure match sponsorship and sold hospitality etc for, which as a club without millionaire owners is a vital revenue stream for us. Especially when its likely that game would be rearranged for midweek given the WOSL. Evening game potentially, but if the pitch at Claggan is being used for this fun run caber tossing thing then given its already a farce of a playing surface then no its not a reasonable change to make. 

14 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

For a league match. No

For a cup match at the ground of a team in the competition, with contributions to travel expenses paid by the SFA and weeks of notice. Yes. Not ideal but IMO Yes.

As well as being free and licenced, if the hosts are only entitled to 20% of the game receipts who would want it?

Seafield might be an option as Speyside are at Nairn. The irony is Holm Park might be just about the next nearest licensed ground to Claggan free on the day.

All that said I think the SFA have to announce something this week given we will be a fortnight out by Friday.

If I'm betting I'd say the impasse favours Clydebank as the likelihood grows they will be asked to host.

The hosts are entitled to 20% of the initial takings, they are then entitled to a 50% split of what is left. Those splits will be far less given the additional distance now involved and the issues of getting to and from by public transport. There are no train connections from Clydebank on the day that will get you there for the second half kicking off never mind the first half and can only get back as far as Queen Street on the return. FW are the hosts, it is their home game. It should not be confused with the splits for a neutral ground.

Holm Park was not available - Yoker are at home in the Junior Cup. Had we been drawn at home, then our tie would have taken precedence over that.

Had we drawn Golspie away in their own right then that would have to be sucked up and got on with, but we weren't.

Edited by not man of the match

15 minutes ago, not man of the match said:

The hosts are entitled to 20% of the initial takings, they are then entitled to a 50% split of what is left. Those splits will be far less given the additional distance now involved and the issues of getting to and from by public transport. There are no train connections from Clydebank on the day that will get you there for the second half kicking off never mind the first half and can only get back as far as Queen Street on the return.

Holm Park was not available - Yoker are at home in the Junior Cup. Had we been drawn at home, then our tie would have taken precedence over that.

Had we drawn Golspie away in their own right then that would have to be sucked up and got on with, but we weren't.

Normally the train would be doable but there's replacement buses all over the place that Saturday, and Citylink doesn't work out either. The statement from Clydebank says the SFA haven't confirmed Golspie yet, just noticed Lesser Hampden is free that day unless some other team is borrowing it.. 🤔

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

An international athletics event that's been going since 1895 and involving up to 800 competitors taking scheduling priority over a preliminary round fixture in the Scottish Cup shocker.

An international football tournament that's been going since 1873 involving 131 clubs, and at least 1441 competitors, losing scheduling priority over a glorified Parkrun up a mountain open all year is a shocker.

1 minute ago, Smurph said:

An international football tournament that's been going since 1873 involving 131 clubs, and at least 1441 competitors, losing scheduling priority over a glorified Parkrun up a mountain open all year is a shocker.

As has been mentioned previously. The date for the Ben Nevis race was in place way before the dates for the Scottish Cup. I've no idea of the prestige of the Ben Nevis race but welshbairn has mentioned several times, international competitors. Should we just expect these guys to change their travel and accomodation plans because there is a Scottish Cup preliminary tie that day where there are plenty of alternatives to playing at Claggan Park. Maybe we should just shift Ben Nevis for the weekend.