Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

On 04/09/2024 at 15:21, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Β 

Taking the away game against Georgia as the benchmark I do not remember them being better than us

We had an off night but were not outclassedΒ  They were nothing specialΒ 

They looked special compared to us at the euros…..

One win in 13, and that was in a daft friendly against Gibraltar which we were shite in.

Yet another home loss tonight.

Β This is getting ridiculous now. Get him to f**k.

Edited by Lex

Look, I wanted him gone, but it's clearly no happening.

We actually performed pretty well tonight, but undid ourselves with individual mistakes.

The players who made those mistakes are of no real surprise.

It's Clarke's job to recognise that those players will always make mistakes at this level.

Will he? Doubtful.

8 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yeah he needs to go. Another shocker of a result tonight against a god awful opponent.Β 

Poland are not a god awful opponent. A team who have made multiple tourneys in the last decades and have one of the best strikers in the world.

That was a good performance tonight marred by some silly mistakes.

I would give him the next qualifying campaign

Just now, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

One win in 13.

One win in 18 by the end of the year.

Seriously, what number does it have to get to before something is done?

When are we heading to Hampden for the protest ?

Did Brendan Rodgers get the blame when Gerrard slipped up against Chelsea in 2014?

Did SAF get the blame when Massimo Taibi let a Southampton shot go between his legs in 1999?

Did Craig Brown shoulder the blame when Gary McAllister had his penalty saved by David Season at Euro 96?

No. No. And, no.

Blaming Steve Clarke for ridiculous tackles by Ralston and Hanley is even more ridiculous than the tackles themselves.

By all metrics and stats, apart from goals (which were two penalties) we were the better team against Poland.

We lost via two stupid penalties after a stupid pass from McLean.

Let's compare the starting XIs.

On paper, Poland should be mopping the floor with us. They didn't.

Scotland:

EPL: 3

La Liga: 2

Serie A: 1

English Championship: 3

SPL: 1

English League One: 1

Poland:

EPL: 2

La Liga: 1

Serie A: 4

Ligue 1: 2

Turkish Super Liga: 2

If so-called fans want to spend the remainder of the evening crying over tonight's defeat and calling for Clarke to be sacked.

Fine.

Maybe it would be good for their collective mental health if they stopped supporting Scotland till Steve Clarke's contract runs out in a couple of years.

Cuz, ya know, not qualifying for tournaments is better for mental health....

8 hours ago, Chripper said:

Did Brendan Rodgers get the blame when Gerrard slipped up against Chelsea in 2014?

Did SAF get the blame when Massimo Taibi let a Southampton shot go between his legs in 1999?

Did Craig Brown shoulder the blame when Gary McAllister had his penalty saved by David Season at Euro 96?

No. No. And, no.

Blaming Steve Clarke for ridiculous tackles by Ralston and Hanley is even more ridiculous than the tackles themselves.

By all metrics and stats, apart from goals (which were two penalties) we were the better team against Poland.

We lost via two stupid penalties after a stupid pass from McLean.

Let's compare the starting XIs.

On paper, Poland should be mopping the floor with us. They didn't.

Scotland:

EPL: 3

La Liga: 2

Serie A: 1

English Championship: 3

SPL: 1

English League One: 1

Poland:

EPL: 2

La Liga: 1

Serie A: 4

Ligue 1: 2

Turkish Super Liga: 2

If so-called fans want to spend the remainder of the evening crying over tonight's defeat and calling for Clarke to be sacked.

Fine.

Maybe it would be good for their collective mental health if they stopped supporting Scotland till Steve Clarke's contract runs out in a couple of years.

Cuz, ya know, not qualifying for tournaments is better for mental health....

Why do you constantly talk about mental health if someone disagrees with you? It's crass and completely ignorant.Β 

Back to football related matters.Β 

Poland are not a great team, and I can see this plainly by their performance and their results.

Tonight was a bad bad result.Β 

Edited by Old Bing

8 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Look, I wanted him gone, but it's clearly no happening.

We actually performed pretty well tonight, but undid ourselves with individual mistakes.

The players who made those mistakes are of no real surprise.

It's Clarke's job to recognise that those players will always make mistakes at this level.

Will he? Doubtful.

I’m sure he will but honestly, apart from McLean, which I’m sure we could have played someone better, who is he putting in over Ralston or Hanley?

Porteous is maybe a bit better but it’s not like he doesn’t have his idiotic moments either. Β Johnson might be ok but he’s not played all that much at Sturm Graz.

It comes back to what we saw at the Euros, once the core guys are out injured, the quality of the next guy goes through the floor.Β 

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

I’m sure he will but honestly, apart from McLean, which I’m sure we could have played someone better, who is he putting in over Ralston or Hanley?

Β 
Β 

Porteous is maybe a bit better but it’s not like he doesn’t have his idiotic moments either. Β Johnson might be ok but he’s not played all that much at Sturm Graz.

It comes back to what we saw at the Euros, once the core guys are out injured, the quality of the next guy goes through the floor.Β 

Β 

Ralston is a proven failure, who yet again cost Scotland because of his rashness.Β 

Johnston might not be good enough, but he also might be.

It feels pointless sticking with the "safe, experienced" option who costs you a goal almost every time he plays yet that's where we are.

9 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

One win in 13.

One win in 18 by the end of the year.

Seriously, what number does it have to get to before something is done?

He should have received his UB40 at one in tenπŸ˜‰πŸ˜

Edited by guinness