Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

37 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

This is what's going to cost scotland, his preference to picking pals, ralston and jack should be absolutely nowhere near that squad for starters, last friday if he started with 

Gunn

Tierney, hendry, porteous, Robertson 

Mcginn, gilmour, mctominay

Christie, adams (both as inside 10's)

Shankland

Absolutely no chance the game goes anything like it did last Friday, that line up gives protection in the middle, a close 3 that can keep the ball for more than 3 seconds, 2 mobile 10's who can run the channels plus press kroos and andrich

Even if one of the german attacking mids break off and drift wide to double up with their fullbacks, the midfield 3 Scotland have can cover that and still be man for man in the middle of the park 

Put the deckchairs over here and there's no fucking way the ship'll sink.

There may be something in the psychological aspect. Friday night a lot of them looked like they had just been beamed onto the pitch from another planet. 

36 minutes ago, pub car king said:

There may be something in the psychological aspect. Friday night a lot of them looked like they had just been beamed onto the pitch from another planet. 

Saying on Talksport that they are surprised that we do not have a psychologist with the team.

Posted (edited)

Just listened to Clarke's press conference. Straight forward, no lengthy answers, no fluff and no insight. I'd rather that to be honest going into the game.

Edited by 2426255

14 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Even if he was the best CB, arguably the drop off from tierney to say mckenna isnt as much as the drop off from any right back to ralston 

Moving tierney to right back immediately improves that position by a massive amount, a lot more than the loss of tierney to mckenna is in centre half 

Yeah I would have been tempted to try Tierney at RB if Porteous hadn't been sent off but I don't think having 2 new CB's in is going to help either. I also think Robertson has been a fair bit better  for Scotland having Tierney beside him.

1 hour ago, PB1994 said:

Slightly different expectations though. Georgia are here under no pressure at all. The achievement for them is even being here in the first place. There is a general expectation on us, from Scottish fans and media, to be looking to qualify for the last 16. Georgia can afford to go out and give it a go against anyone they face and if they end up with 0 points and a couple of heavy defeats its no big deal. Scotland can't afford to do that.

Plus they were playing Turkey and not Germany. Not trying to take anything away from how awful our performance was but there is a massive gap in the level of opposition faced.

if we had played against Germany as Georgia did against Turkey, we would not have been pumped. 

16 minutes ago, Pocketman said:

if we had played against Germany as Georgia did against Turkey, we would not have been pumped. 

Germany would have pumped the majority of the teams in the competition playing the way they did on Friday night.

37 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Yeah I would have been tempted to try Tierney at RB if Porteous hadn't been sent off but I don't think having 2 new CB's in is going to help either. I also think Robertson has been a fair bit better  for Scotland having Tierney beside him.

Think Robertson has enjoyed knowing if he goes up the park tierney will cover, he'd get that same cover if clarke played the 3 sitting mids as the left one is tasked with slotting in behind when the fullback goes up the park 

I've been a big fan of Clarke and think he has done a good job for us, but tonight is a big game for him and I think if we get beat or don't turn up again, a lot of people will turn on him. 

Having watched the tournament unfold after Friday night, I can't help feeling it's been more like a regular tournament where we are just watching it on tele. Friday was so bad with virtually nothing to shout about, other than a good showing by the fans. 

However, having also seen a lot of teams who qualified less comfortably than us, put up good showings and a few get very decent results - I am a bit more hopeful that we just caught Germany on a bad night and they would have steam rollered anyone. Especially having got the early goal. 

Lets just hope Clarke picks the right team and we can find some moments of inspiration against a team who looked very good on Saturday. 

39 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Think Robertson has enjoyed knowing if he goes up the park tierney will cover, he'd get that same cover if clarke played the 3 sitting mids as the left one is tasked with slotting in behind when the fullback goes up the park 

I think Tierney is more prone to lap round him at times and  has more pace than our average centre back that allows Robertson to bomb forward like at  Liverpool. I used to think Robertson was a bit underwhelming for Scotland but less so since Tierneys been used as a LCB. But having said all that if Clarke starts him tonight at RB I wouldnt object.

3 hours ago, PB1994 said:

Slightly different expectations though. Georgia are here under no pressure at all. The achievement for them is even being here in the first place. There is a general expectation on us, from Scottish fans and media, to be looking to qualify for the last 16. Georgia can afford to go out and give it a go against anyone they face and if they end up with 0 points and a couple of heavy defeats its no big deal. Scotland can't afford to do that.

Plus they were playing Turkey and not Germany. Not trying to take anything away from how awful our performance was but there is a massive gap in the level of opposition faced.

I can't make up my mind if we were seriously shit, or if Germany were the best I've seen in the first round of fixtures, I think (hope) it's the latter, and as another poster put it, if we played the same way Georgia did against Germany, then it wouldn't have been anywhere near as bad. 

2 hours ago, Big Bobo said:

David Moyes talking a lot of sense on Talksport just now.

And yet, some folk are scoffing at him becoming Scotland manager, I'd take him all day long! He wouldn't have his favourites for a start, he would play the in form players, and his sides are generally hard to break down. 

10 minutes ago, Galajambo said:

I can't make up my mind if we were seriously shit, or if Germany were the best I've seen in the first round of fixtures, I think (hope) it's the latter, and as another poster put it, if we played the same way Georgia did against Germany, then it wouldn't have been anywhere near as bad. 

I think it was both. We were absolutely terrible and Germany were very very good. I don't think Georgia would have played the same way they did against Turkey if they were playing Germany.

It was never likely we were going to get a result in that first game but the manner of performance was by far the most worrying thing. If we play like we did on Friday against Switzerland and Hungary you can't really argue with people wanting Clarke to lose his job. 

14 minutes ago, Galajambo said:

And yet, some folk are scoffing at him becoming Scotland manager, I'd take him all day long! He wouldn't have his favourites for a start, he would play the in form players, and his sides are generally hard to break down. 

Sound familiar? You stick Steve Clarke's name in there and no-one would bat an eyelid.

Moyes' stubbornness has always been a lingering problem among fans. As has his consistent defensive approach or his obsession with a small squad, only for it to bite the Hammers in the backside routinely in their 2022 and 2024 Europa League and Premier League pushes. Moyes has also often been accused of trying to fit square pegs into round holes when it comes to picking his match day starting XI, and his clear lack of trust in his bench and the Hammers' very impressive youth prospects has resulted in the constant flogging of the same 11-14 players. To make matters worse, it's not only a small squad - it's an ageing one too. It's the second oldest in the Premier League.

"If I am being honest, if I had my way I would have smaller squads anyway. I would rather have a smaller squad. I always have done. You can get more problems with a bigger squad. Having a smaller squad isn’t bad." Moyes

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/david-moyes-west-ham-respect-32648143

5 hours ago, Galajambo said:

One of the few things Steve Clarke has going for him is that he’s not David Moyes.