Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Acastus said:

Yeah I can't disagree with that.  It's the same old tactics , sob stories and mentalities. It's so hard to try and stay positive. 

Popped round to my mums before the match and we both said we'd be surprised if we go through....Generations of failure. The mentality and outlook is all wrong for me. It's defeatist. Plucky Scots turn up in their kilts, drunk , singing, merry....pish.

New approach needed. 

Fucking hell. We only just got over the 25 year wait for a major tournament. If we get past the group stage someone else with say: 'aye, but you haven't done this yet'. Sometimes I think people want to be miserable. There's enough things to be miserable about and this is probably not one of them. It's a success story for me.

We overcame an obstacle, hit an obstacle and we'll continue trying to develop the team, that's it for me.

Edited by 2426255

The no marks in the team and management should be paying into a kitty to compensate the hard working people who stretched multiple accounts to back them over the last week and a half 

They should all hang their heads in shame 

Im absolutely beeling with the sh*te put on show last night

Clarke has to go, there can't be any other option. Every manager has his time and he peaked for the qualification but since then it's been a shambles. Any other manager on the back of .1 win in 12 and that against Gibraltar would get hounded so he needs to be judged on what he's delivered. We also have a set of nations group games coming up which are every bit or even harder than what we've just gone through so what gives us any hope he is the right person to take us through them. Let someone else in with fresh ideas who will rip it up and start again, it might work and it might not but imo if Clarke stays it won't be any different than the past 9 months and 12 games

Clarke deserves credit for laying the groundwork for elevating us to a nation that qualifies for tournaments again. it is clear though there are limits with his brand of football.  We were absolutely torturous at the Euros. Last night is unforgivable. The fact that Hungary allowed us to have the ball but we struggled to do anything at all with it was embarrassing. It was too slow, too cautious and substitutions left too late. Time for a change. 

8 hours ago, PELE said:

Moyes is a total dinosaur. His sole tactic is lumping high balls into a big carthorse in the middle. His team talk is " get stuck into them". It wouldn't surprise me if he was given the job though.

This is nonsense. You don't do as well as he has and last at the top level like this. He is obviously a student of the game and has embraced the analytics and modern coaching. 

Clarke has done well with us overall. However, at some point, things have to change, and it looks like he's done all he can with this squad.

I also think the two tournaments he has qualified with us for, he's got it so badly wrong, he looks like he doesn't have a clue what to do.

Time for him to go, and we move on.

Not going to over react to last night. If we get the penalty, it's a different night. Fine margins and all that. But we really struggled to create anything last night at all. Ok - Hungary seemed very happy to sit and see if a breakaway developed, which also defies logic given they needed a win as well and it wasn't until very very late that they got it.  

Also worth saying we were missing 1st and 2nd choice right backs, 2 1st choice centre backs (albeit 1 through suspension), a 1st choice forward and the Serie A midfielder of the year. Think a lot of teams would struggle with so many injuries. 

Having watched most of the games, it does look like we are the worst team in Germany. Sad thing is that wasn't the case in qualifying and we were there very much on merit, with games to spare. Not sure what you take out of that. Did we freeze, change our mentality, is it just a case of injuries catching up with us?

Ultimately very disappointing over the 3 games and it's hard to sugar coat it as anything other than that. 

Don't mind if Clarke continues as manager as there's no guarantee someone else does any better, but you could also make the case that he's had his 3 goes and it's fair to let someone else have a shot. I think that person is David Moyes. Struggle to think of anyone else who has a better CV. 

I love the mentality that we couldn't attract someone decent who is non Scottish. 

We absolutely fucking can. Though I don't trust the SFA wankers to do a decent job of a recruitment process. Could easily end up with Malky MacKay. Seems like he's been coaching Clarke in xenophobia 

A period of reflection needed. We were terrible, and Clarke is partly to blame but the players failed to do themselves justice.

We could hound Clarke out, but who would replace him? And even if we got someone good, would there be any investment in grassroots, any changes to our skewed club game?

I am merely rambling because I am pessimistic and don't see a way out, but emptying Clarke may not be the answer.

It was a one goal shoot-out type of game. It was a very cautious style but who’s to say we wouldn’t be picked off if we had gone more adventurous from the start, I think that was probable with this crop of players. I mean, let’s go toe-to-toe but I don’t trust Che Adam’s for goals up front (clearly we can get goals from deeper). 

In the past, many have bemoaned that we have gone away from being hard-to-beat, that’s how we’re set-up under Clarke these days. I genuinely don’t trust us to go for it without getting picked off. Penalty given (and scored), we hold on and we all go crazy!

Fine margins.

3 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

A period of reflection needed. We were terrible, and Clarke is partly to blame but the players failed to do themselves justice.

We could hound Clarke out, but who would replace him? And even if we got someone good, would there be any investment in grassroots, any changes to our skewed club game?

I am merely rambling because I am pessimistic and don't see a way out, but emptying Clarke may not be the answer.

Realistically it’s either Moyes or a hipster foreign coach. Both are strong options imo. Clarke has found his level and it’s time to move on.

I never want to watch us lumber around like that again - it was almost as bad as the Germany game as this time we had the ball and were absolutely clueless about how to attack. We were basically this Euros' equivalent of Wales at the Qatar World Cup. We stank the place out and were miles out of our depth.  There was no squad rotation and no tactical nous. Clarke even persisted with the same old set up without Tierney, and failed to address how tired the midfield looked in game 2.

We might as well play 3-3-1-3 and give the fans something to remember. Therefore, as soon as he's done at Uruguay, my choice for the next Manager of the Scotland Men's National Team is:

image.thumb.jpeg.317b0b14af8b0847af1bc95e74593934.jpeg

Edited by VictorOnopko

I would’ve happily seen him stay before last night, but that display and set up from him and the way he managed that game which we needed to win was absolutely pathetic, gutless and it has made me fkn livid.

Imagine banging on about wanting to be the first team to make history etc etc for about 6 months and then turning up to the game and producing that - holy f**k

I totally understood why he set up the way he did. It made sense. But to then watch that game for all of the first half and deep into the second half and do nothing is unforgivable. We were just wasting our own time it was soul destroying to see. It was scandalous nothing was changed before the first sub, and the first sub is to take McGinn off instead of a defender? What the f**k was that. 

Then we played with something resembling a shape for 10 minutes or so, still created f**k all, threw everyone on and went into complete chaos mode with bodies playing all over the shop. In that time Hungary should’ve scored a couple because of how shambolic we’d somehow managed to become after his changes. 

If that’s how Clarke is when it comes down to a must win game he can get himself to f**k. Like I said the other week the fact they’ve had so many friendlies and not ever properly really worked on another way to play when the 5-4–1 is not working is a joke. 

That was a pitiful and pathetic performance last night. Absolutely reeking of negativity and lack of self belief. Shite

10 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

I never want to watch us lumber around like that again - it was almost as bad as the Germany game as this time we had the ball and were absolutely clueless about how to attack. We were basically this Euros' equivalent of Wales at the Qatar World Cup. We stank the place out and were miles out of our depth.  There was no squad rotation and no tactical nous. Clarke even persisted with the same old set up without Tierney, and failed to address how tired the midfield looked in game 2.

We might as well play 3-3-1-3 and give the fans something to remember. Therefore, as soon as he's done at Uruguay, my choice for the next Manager of the Scotland Men's National Team is:

image.thumb.jpeg.317b0b14af8b0847af1bc95e74593934.jpeg

I'd love that. He's immense . We'd suddenly become Ossie Ardiles' Spurs mob and it would be magnificent. 

A 7-1 win over Wales followed by a 6 goal defeat to Croatia. I'm in.