Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/05/2023 at 14:07, 2426255 said:

I thought we could start a new thread on Steve Clarke that I hope (but don't expect) won't turn into a knee jerk Steve Clarke out thread if a handful of results don't go the way we want them to. In any case, I saw an article discussing him based on an interview with Alex Dyer which I thought some on here might be interested to read and there didn't seem anywhere obvious to put it.  

https://worldfootballindex.com/2023/05/alex-dyer-on-kilmarnock-scotland-and-working-alongside-steve-clarke/

I liked the bit about family coming first and we have seen signs of that with Zander Clark and Liam Cooper being excused International duty in Jun-22 mid-camp to get married etc. 

With regards to the first paragraph it has to be said that SSC was getting some flak in the Norway (a) thread before BDD scored his iconic goal

4 hours ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

With regards to the first paragraph it has to be said that SSC was getting some flak in the Norway (a) thread before BDD scored his iconic goal

Yes, well I should really name and shame but I've only read it back briefly for a chuckle so far.

It could be argued that his patience in only bringing on Liam Cooper after the Norwegian goal before opening up the game later must be one of his most rewarding moments as Scotland manager in terms of management from the touchline and demonstrated his experience as a tactician. 

It was just about getting the timing right. After losing the goal, I felt it was better just to stay in the fight for a little bit to make sure the game didn't run away from us. After that, we had to chase the game, it was pretty logical - you are going to take off a defender and push John McGinn a little bit further forward.

Steve Clarke  

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/36621/12904481/steve-clarke-hails-scotland-character-after-norway-comeback-win-andrew-robertson-we-have-to-qualify-for-euro-2024-now

Edited by 2426255

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Is he the greatest Scotland manager of all time? 

If he isn't right now I think he'll go on to be considered that. He's right up there. He's tailor made for the Scotland National team.

Edited by 2426255

8 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Is he the greatest Scotland manager of all time? 

yes. to take a national side from having no hope , belief or any semblence of a team who could qualify for anything and hadnt done for 24 years and qualify for the euros, world cup playoffs and then another euros, this time at a canter. He's without a doubt our finest.

He is/was the one we craved during all those years (outside a purple patch under mcleish) . He destroyed "glorious failure"

if he gets us to the 2nd round, its a huge paradigm shift for the scottish national team 

Edited by greenockraver