Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

6 hours ago, itzdrk said:

That includes 7 appearances for the B team at 502 minutes.  Not first team. 

Its still minutes played, he still had more game time, more time in the legs etc

In the last 3 months of the season Ralston managed a massive 106 minutes, 90 of them were the dead rubber last game of the season in the league at home when the league was done, 

4 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Its still minutes played, he still had more game time, more time in the legs etc

In the last 3 months of the season Ralston managed a massive 106 minutes, 90 of them were the dead rubber last game of the season in the league at home when the league was done, 

If only Ralston had played a couple lowland league games eh :lol:

4 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

You’re talking up B team games then dismissing actual first team games because they were after a team won the league. C’mon mate.

jumping between threads, I think there is a reasoned debate to be had as to why we were so poor against the Germans but anyone who says Clarke is out of his depth or isn't a forward thinking coach, are absolute clowns and best immediately dismissed.

Either their club prejudices are filtering through (like the 4th Official guy below) or they have an axe to grind/frustrations in own life being projected on to the manager like Ewen "top pundit" Cameron:

11 minutes ago, Pocketman said:

jumping between threads, I think there is a reasoned debate to be had as to why we were so poor against the Germans but anyone who says Clarke is out of his depth or isn't a forward thinking coach, are absolute clowns and best immediately dismissed.

Either their club prejudices are filtering through (like the 4th Official guy below) or they have an axe to grind/frustrations in own life being projected on to the manager like Ewen "top pundit" Cameron:

There's a reasoned debate, but anyone who disagrees with you is an absolute clown  🤣 Yeah think ill give your debate a miss.

3 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

There's a reasoned debate, but anyone who disagrees with you is an absolute clown  🤣 Yeah think ill give your debate a miss.

I didn't say anyone who disagrees is a clown. I said anyone who thinks Clarke is out of his depth or isn't forward thinking enough as a manager is a clown. And you have confirmed you think either of these points are a fair argument ha

Edited by Pocketman

14 minutes ago, Pocketman said:

Ewen Cameron is the same idiot who went through every game between beating Serbia and the end of the June 2022 camp to try and find faults in all of them. A king of revisionism and best ignored. 

We're getting bad results at the moment. We haven't had many good performances since qualifying. Friday was an embarrassment. Why can't people just say these things without trying to gaslight others into thinking that Clarke's just been the luckiest man in the world for the past four years? 

7 minutes ago, Pocketman said:

so therefore you think Clarke being out his depth is a reasonable argument. Ha. 

It depends. We caked the bed and went into our shell at the last Euros, it happened in the World Cup play off and it happened on Friday. It’s fine to have a discussion about that and perhaps express concern that whilst the good times have been good, we’ve had more than a few terrible performances in big games under Clarke now. 

And yes - those games mentioned were against good teams, but they’ve all been identical in that we’ve looked lost/overwhelmed and unable to do basic things we all know the players are capable of. I’m not full on #ClarkeOut at all but to immediately dismiss legitimate concerns following a mortifying defeat is just daft.

Edited by Fratelli

6 minutes ago, Pocketman said:

I didn't say anyone who disagrees is a clown. I said anyone who thinks Clarke is out of his depth or isn't forward thinking enough as a manager is a clown. And you have confirmed you think either of these points are a fair argument ha

I've confirmed nothing of the fact, I've only confirmed your not worth conversing with further.

Just now, Bing.McCrosby said:

I've confirmed nothing of the fact, I've only confirmed your not worth conversing with further.

ha, you are indeed a clown for not understanding what you have just posted. So we can avoid each other then. 

Just now, Bing.McCrosby said:

I don't think you have a great grasp of English.

2 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

*you're

4 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

It depends. We caked the bed and went into our shell at the last Euros, it happened in the World Cup play off and it happened on Friday. It’s fine to have a discussion about that and perhaps express concern that whilst the good times have been good, we’ve had more than a few terrible performances in big games under Clarke now. 

And yes - those games mentioned were against good teams, but they’ve all been identical in that we’ve looked lost/overwhelmed and unable to do basic things we all know the players are capable of. I’m not full on #ClarkeOut at all but to immediately dismiss legitimate concerns following a mortifying defeat is just daft.

you don't qualify for tournaments by being out your depth. You don't win play-offs by being out your depth. I agree though that the Germany result and others similar to it need to be rationalised. By simply saying Clarke is out of his depth or not forward thinking enough (whatever that means) - which is what Ewen Cameron is doing - is applying simplistic reasoning without considering the wider evidence in a lads like "bottle-merchant" argument.  

2 hours ago, eez-eh said:

You’re talking up B team games then dismissing actual first team games because they were after a team won the league. C’mon mate.

Fair nuff, discount b team games and dead rubber first team games, Clarke picked a right back who's had 16 competitive minutes in 3 months, johnston had more than 10x that for the first team

15 minutes ago, Pocketman said:

you don't qualify for tournaments by being out your depth. You don't win play-offs by being out your depth. I agree though that the Germany result and others similar to it need to be rationalised. By simply saying Clarke is out of his depth or not forward thinking enough (whatever that means) - which is what Ewen Cameron is doing - is applying simplistic reasoning without considering the wider evidence in a lads like "bottle-merchant" argument.  

Well aye but Ewan Cameron is a shock jock radio presenter who says stuff to annoy folk and get attention. He goes ludicrously over the top with everything and should be ignored, but right now I think it’s fine to question Clarke’s ability/style at tournament level. 

Edited by Fratelli

19 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Fair nuff, discount b team games and dead rubber first team games, Clarke picked a right back who's had 16 competitive minutes in 3 months, johnston had more than 10x that for the first team

Rangers fan criticises manager for picking Celtic player.

44 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Ewen Cameron is the same idiot who went through every game between beating Serbia and the end of the June 2022 camp to try and find faults in all of them. A king of revisionism and best ignored. 

Just seems like a really odd bloke, consistently giving the worst takes you have ever seen on every situation to do with Scottish football.  

56 minutes ago, Pocketman said:

This all true. We should be honest enough to remember the years of not qualifying, and that there are a handfull of good players but a number of positions filled by players of a lower standard. However there was a sense of momentum growing under Steve Clarke.
Most people were dubious about 5-3-2/3-5-2 but he used as a way to get AR & KT both in the team.

Managers will from time to time get the tactics on formation wrong for individual matches.

What is more interesting/worrying is how players and the team  appear to be performing competitively  (or up for it ) in some matches, and totally underperforming for other matches. almost freezing.

Denmark (h), Spain (H & A), Israel (H & A), Serbia, Netherlands (1st Half)etc
v

Czech Rep (Euro 2020), N Ireland, Germany,  Ukraine. England, Finland, etc etc

How do we turn up to certain matches stale, is it tiredness, mental strength?

A team like Switzerland have a handful of very very good players and some fillers but they do seem to 'turn up' at the big matches, which Scotland have for Some matches

Steve Clarke's press conference and inexplicably he's been asked who he'll be supporting in the England match.

It's blanket psychological conditioning is what it is.

No wonder so many Scots emigrate abroad.

16 minutes ago, Maltese falcon said:

This all true. We should be honest enough to remember the years of not qualifying, and that there are a handfull of good players but a number of positions filled by players of a lower standard. However there was a sense of momentum growing under Steve Clarke.
Most people were dubious about 5-3-2/3-5-2 but he used as a way to get AR & KT both in the team.

Managers will from time to time get the tactics on formation wrong for individual matches.

What is more interesting/worrying is how players and the team  appear to be performing competitively  (or up for it ) in some matches, and totally underperforming for other matches. almost freezing.

Denmark (h), Spain (H & A), Israel (H & A), Serbia, Netherlands (1st Half)etc
v

Czech Rep (Euro 2020), N Ireland, Germany,  Ukraine. England, Finland, etc etc

How do we turn up to certain matches stale, is it tiredness, mental strength?

A team like Switzerland have a handful of very very good players and some fillers but they do seem to 'turn up' at the big matches, which Scotland have for Some matches

IMHO I do not remember us being outclassed against our Euro 2020 opponents  , or Ukraine , the way we were Friday night.

In fact was the problem in at least one of the games that we played two up front as many supporters wanted ?

Once these Euros are over we need to get a ( central ) defense that can cope with the best European teams