2023–24 Highland League Chat

welshbairn

Yet another 2nd half capitulation from The Clach.  How many times does it need to happen before it becomes their thing?

Forres are shite too, but they have big Lee Fraser, he's the difference, the type of player poor teams desperately need to push them away from the bottom of the table, something which Clach just don't have in either Connor Bunce or the permanently injured James Anderson.

8 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Decent crowd at Grant Street for a February Wednesday night, did well to get the game on, congrats to the ref for allowing it. Another game where Clach found exactly how to play it for a while but ended getting hammered.

one.jpg.6d9ffe53beab2c827ab3551b51ad6720.jpg

Need more refs like this. Fair play to him. 

The pitch was absolutely fine for football, it wasn't frozen, the ball was bouncing and running true, the snow on it was that soft powdery type. I think I only saw 2 players slip the whole match, one of which was after being pushed.

45 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

No danger the pitch at Inverurie was in worse condition than GSP in midweek, yet only one game went ahead. Incidents like this aren’t helping matters. 

It seems to be down to if the ref can be arsed or not half the time.

I think I said earlier in the season, the inconsistencies between officials and their desire to call games off is wild, and way, WAY more hair-trigger than anything I remember in my youth. 

The biggest problem remains clubs not doing enough with their pitches, and choosing to piss money away on players, but referees aren’t helping matters.

If this weekend is as bad as predicted, I dunno where we stand in terms of getting this season done. 

Edited by Jimmy Shaker

Brora did spend a fortune on their pitch in the summer and made an utter cunt of it.

All HL clubs should be made to purchase pitch covers at the very least.  Seeing clubs almost proudly declaring on Twitter thar their pitch has 3 inches of snow on it 3 hours before a game and that the game is off is wild. Strathspey are particulary cunty for this.  Do these clubs not have access to television or the internet?  You know when snow/frost is coming.

i don't even know how much pitch covers would cost.  10 grand?  f**k knows.  Clubs need to get a GoFundMe set up or something to pay for it if neccesary.

35 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Brora did spend a fortune on their pitch in the summer and made an utter c**t of it.

All HL clubs should be made to purchase pitch covers at the very least.  Seeing clubs almost proudly declaring on Twitter thar their pitch has 3 inches of snow on it 3 hours before a game and that the game is off is wild. Strathspey are particulary cunty for this.  Do these clubs not have access to television or the internet?  You know when snow/frost is coming.

i don't even know how much pitch covers would cost.  10 grand?  f**k knows.  Clubs need to get a GoFundMe set up or something to pay for it if neccesary.

I think these boys would struggle to roll off a ground cover with 3 inches of snow on it. Grantown gets more snow than anywhere else in the Highland League tbf.

22 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think these boys would struggle to roll off a ground cover with 3 inches of snow on it. Grantown gets more snow than anywhere else in the Highland League tbf.

You don't roll the cover off with 3 inches of snow on it. You clear the snow off the covers then roll it off. That's the whole point of a cover, to keep the pitch dry and playable.

9 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

You don't roll the cover off with 3 inches of snow on it. You clear the snow off the covers then roll it off. That's the whole point of a cover, to keep the pitch dry and playable.

You still need loads of fit volunteers, Brechin have covers and couldn't use them because they couldn't find enough bodies. There are worst clubs than Strathspey for looking after their pitch anyway, Forres for one.

Brora v Clachnacuddin tomorrow has been reversed to Clachnacuddin meaning both league meetings will have been at Clachnacuddin

Buckie v Rothes tomorrow has been moved to Deveronvale

Buckie v Fraserburgh on Wednesday 21st February and Buckie v Clachnacuddin on Saturday 24th February have moved to Lossiemouth

Brora have 19 league + 1 cup = 20 games to play... Buckie have 19 + 1/2 = 20/21... there are 11x Saturdays + 10x Wednesdays = 21 dates, from tomorrow to Apr 20th... after that it's Mondays...

1 hour ago, Edzellcityfan said:

Seems a weird thing to lie about. 

Was just about to say that. 

We had a game called off because of frost which had been in the ground for over a week (possibly longer).  The forecasts are good these days but not as accurate as predicting how long the frost is going to stay in the ground. 

Also covers need to be put down before the frost gets in the ground . To leave them on a park for over a week is just creating more problems. 

2 hours ago, CALDERON said:

I work on Harlaw Road, not a chance that pitch would have been playable on Wed night - ground was rock solid when I left at 6 ish. 

My garden at the end of Harlaw Road was playable on Wednesday. Whatever frost was in the ground didn’t go deep into the surface and wasn’t anything that couldn’t have been fixed with a pre-match warm-up and some ground work ahead of KO. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

My garden at the end of Harlaw Road was playable on Wednesday. Whatever frost was in the ground didn’t go deep into the surface and wasn’t anything that couldn’t have been fixed with a pre-match warm-up and some ground work ahead of KO. 

Alternative venue found!