Hibernian European Tour 2023/24

Lyle Lanley

9 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Boyle mibbes. 

Youan is a stretch. Vente unproven. 

Newell? Joe Newell? 

Can only assume you're still shitfaced

might have taken a pumping last night but if you think you can slander top midfielder/tory enforcer joe newell then think again. 

7 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Boyle mibbes. 

Youan is a stretch. Vente unproven. 

Newell? Joe Newell? 

Can only assume you're still shitfaced

Not sure your opinion is based on actually watching us - not a criticism, but its always the way when we comment on other teams players.

Newell has been our MOTM a few times already this season.

He is playing very well - far above Boyle right now imv.

On the others, Youan needs to understand that its a team game !  Vente is a smashing player, with the right supply he will get 20 this season.

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

Not sure your opinion is based on actually watching us - not a criticism, but its always the way when we comment on other teams players.

Newell has been our MOTM a few times already this season.

He is playing very well - far above Boyle right now imv.

On the others, Youan needs to understand that its a team game !  Vente is a smashing player, with the right supply he will get 20 this season.

Saying he walks into any other team is a comment on all those other teams though. 

I've seen all hibs games against us plus whatever 's been on telly, including Alba, and he's only looked good a couple of those. Not terrible but no more than run of the mill mid table premier. I' d take half of st Mirren's, Hearts, and all of ours before him. 

1 hour ago, gazelle83 said:

I think it's lazy to just put this down to finances. 

I thought Hibs looked beaten from the off and the defending of Cross balls was atrocious.

You would never have thought that was their biggest game of the season! 

I thought they looked good first half and if they could have defended crosses either in the box or at source (leaving the latter free to ping in crosses was criminal), they'd potentially have gone in level at the break. Thier press worked well and caught Villa out, but that defence is HONKING 

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Saying he walks into any other team is a comment on all those other teams though. 

I've seen all hibs games against us plus whatever 's been on telly, including Alba, and he's only looked good a couple of those. Not terrible but no more than run of the mill mid table premier. I' d take half of st Mirren's, Hearts, and all of ours before him. 

Wasnt my comment.

As for the rest of your post, opinions - as they say - are like arseholes*

*or as we like to call them in my house, Aberdeen fans 😉

11 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

The state of this tweet :lol: 

Fair point tbf. I wouldn't venture the 5 minutes to Palmerston to watch us play a B side in the Challenge Cup. 

f**k travelling all the way to Birmingham to watch your side face Aston Villa B. 

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

Fair point tbf. I wouldn't venture the 5 minutes to Palmerston to watch us play a B side in the Challenge Cup. 

f**k travelling all the way to Birmingham to watch your side face Aston Villa B. 

Tickets for the away match were sold out before last nights match, and all those attending (plus many more) have already booked travel and hotels etc.

I dont think anyone will be cancelling because of what some tube on twitter says......

8 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It’s the shortest/easiest trip they could have got and maybe the cheapest. Edinburgh to Birmingham isn’t exactly a hard trip.

At the end of the day it’s still a European away trip and you never know when the next one will come along. It doesn’t really matter who it’s against or what the score is.

Also as mentioned tickets/travel/accommodation will all have been booked already so you’d have to be pretty daft not to go.

17 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Did " Rocky " not replace Paul Hanlon ?

Are we " producing " any home grown defenders these days ?

Rocky is pish.

And, yes - as you would have seen v Raith, Megwa is a decent prospect as are one or two others.

Anyone who thinks any other Scottish side outwith the OF (both of whom I’d expect Villa to beat fairly comfortably in a two-legged European tie) would have done much better against Villa is deluded. That’s the most one-sided game of football I’ve ever seen, and I was at the Malmo game. Yes, Hibs have a porous defence (and to be fair some reasonable quality in attacking areas as shown by the Luzern games), but Villa always had several gears in reserve and treated much of the match (second half especially) as a training session. Villa have quality in every position, and are simply streets ahead of anything Hibs will encounter in the Scottish Premiership.

Hibs played very narrow, and gave Lucas Digne the freedom of Lochend, but Villa would have sworded them if the full backs had got drawn out too. The first touch and passing of the Villa players was on another level, and while Hibs pressed reasonably effectively at times in the first half, Villa’s technique and precision allowed them to play out with ease. A good example was towards the end of the first half, when McGinn (who, along with Digne and Watkins, was one of Villa’s best players - that slide-rule pass to Digne for the cross for the third goal was sumptuous) was under pressure in his own box from a three man press: he simply pinged a pass right across the six yard line to Diego Carlos, with Youan positioned no more than a yard or two out of the line of the pass. The pace on the pass meant Youan wasn’t getting there, but any slight inaccuracy would have left the Hibs player with a tap in. Hibs instantly went from having a good press on to being hit on the break, and in that break Watkins should have slid in a fourth, for his hat trick, just before half time. That, in microcosm, was the story of the game, and the gulf between the sides.

It’s likely Villa will play a second string team in the second leg, but their squad is deep, and even that will be a daunting prospect for Hibs.

IMG_3320.jpeg

Edited by Frankie S

14 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

A good example was towards the end of the first half, when McGinn (who, along with Digne and Watkins, was one of Villa’s best players - that slide-rule pass to Digne for the cross for the third goal was sumptuous) was under pressure in his own box from a three man press: he simply pinged a pass right across the six yard line to Diego Carlos, with Youan positioned no more than a yard or two out of the line of the pass. The pace on the pass meant Youan wasn’t getting there, but any slight inaccuracy would have left the Hibs player with a tap in.

I sit in the West, and watched that all happen just as you described it - I turned to the boy next to me, we looked at each other, shook our heads and he said "its a different sport".

He is right, these Villa players shouldnt even be in the same competition as Hibs, frankly.

1 minute ago, Zing. said:

Emery has apparently said he’ll play his strongest team next week so that’s good news.

Probably said for the cameras, but they have Liverpool on the weekend, it would be a major shock if they didnt rest a few.

14 hours ago, ekok said:

Boring maybe,  doesn't make it less relevant.  Our clubs continue to buy in overseas second or third raters,  who are marginally better than native talent. That itself speaks volumes about how we squander the potential talent on our doorstep.  

If you want a model of how to do it, New Zealand Rugby. Unarguably the most successful national sports programme in the universe, ever. Kids are nurtured and coached  from pre school right  through to the highest professional level. A nation about the size of Scotland has for over a hundred years and still is the absolute benchmark for the sport they love with a vengeance. We could and should learn from them.

Suggest you check out on Netfix etc  on how they manage this. Basically start young, give best possible coaching, facilities,  pathway and support.  Some of the stuff is actually quite scary as to how seriously they take it.

So successful most of their best players play at top clubs around the world,  then come together to totally overachieve at national level, given their size and population.  Another trick we are missing, strong clubs lead to stronger national teams.

Suggest our passion for football is on par with their passion for rugby, so who has it right ?

New Zealand can also recruit players from about 80 islands.