Dundee United 23/24

No danger Levitt would have signed a 4 year deal.

As much as I think Asghar was a total and utter buffoon with zero redeeming qualities, I really dont think Levitt not signing a 3 / 4 year deal was his fault. 

Levitt came to us to use us as a shop window and it was up to us to get a team around him to allow him to move on to bigger things than Scottish Football. We failed spectacularly last season - that's Asghars (et al) fault. 

Now I can see the club spinning this as a good deal when it's clearly not. We need to insist on at least a 25% sell on if he's going to Hibs or anyone else for that matter.

14 minutes ago, Fife Arab said:

When you compare Aberdeen handing out 4 year deal to Clarkson then Levitt 2 year deal isn’t great. Yes no one was complaining but you need to protect an assets you have spent 300/400k on plus big wages. Granted we made some money back from him at international level but one bad year with injury’s hasn’t helped us 

True, but that's a risk that you have to factor in with any kind of signing. Certainly Levitt had a few minor injuries in his time on loan so we should have been alert to that possibility (we probably weren't in fairness.)

Ultimately we just don't know whether the 2 year was down to the club not pushing hard enough, or Levitt digging his heels in and refusing to commit to a longer deal. But I still wouldn't describe the 2 year deal as a f**k-up in and of itself. 

I agree there is probably pros and cons on the deal and I was certainly happy at the time and definitely after that first AZ game but when you add in man United probably got a sell on % also you honestly need to think even if he had a brilliant season how much was this going to bank United with 1 year left. TA openly said one of his biggest achievements was getting Levitt to United so makes you wonder how great a deal United are acquiring….guess we will never know but his transfer to Hibs should be complete soon 

35 minutes ago, Fife Arab said:

I agree there is probably pros and cons on the deal and I was certainly happy at the time and definitely after that first AZ game but when you add in man United probably got a sell on % also you honestly need to think even if he had a brilliant season how much was this going to bank United with 1 year left. TA openly said one of his biggest achievements was getting Levitt to United so makes you wonder how great a deal United are acquiring….guess we will never know but his transfer to Hibs should be complete soon 

That's not an unreasonable question in fairness. We probably don't want to know what the club were expecting/hoping for in a best case scenario as it will likely have been laughably unrealistic.

9 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Fire sale on board the Titanic. Ho ho.

Thank you.

Bit early to be predicting our financial demise isn't it? Come back closer to Friday, then we'll talk.

I'll head off anyone planning to use the Fury Road gif. I know that was bait.

Losing Levitt to Hibs will be tough but tbh on a personal level would like to see the laddy do well. Just hope the club have got a decent sell on clause and he gets a big move out the league before United returns.

Doige might be a short term measure for the championship, we desperately need another striking option and tbh probably about as good as we can get right now unless we find a hidden gem somewhere.

Whether Levitt signed a 2 year or a 5 year is not relevant.

With no relegation clauses we simply aren't in position to demand value fees for Levitt, Fletcher, Behich etc the club just need to get them off the wage bill.

Still Arabs on twitter thinking we should be keeping Levitt for a promotion push. It's fantasy stuff.

Goodwins hard man act at the end of the season about only wanting players up for the fight was an act to paint those leaving as not bleeding tangerine or some shite. 

8 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Whether Levitt signed a 2 year or a 5 year is not relevant.

With no relegation clauses we simply aren't in position to demand value fees for Levitt, Fletcher, Behich etc the club just need to get them off the wage bill.

Still Arabs on twitter thinking we should be keeping Levitt for a promotion push. It's fantasy stuff.

Goodwins hard man act at the end of the season about only wanting players up for the fight was an act to paint those leaving as not bleeding tangerine or some shite. 

It’s not fantasy stuff, it’s a legitimate opinion that you happen to disagree with.

Best short-to-medium term financial prospect for United is to go straight back up to the Premiership, if people think Levitt can be the difference maker then it’s a worthwhile financial option.

30 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s not fantasy stuff, it’s a legitimate opinion that you happen to disagree with.

Best short-to-medium term financial prospect for United is to go straight back up to the Premiership, if people think Levitt can be the difference maker then it’s a worthwhile financial option.

I can see why folk think we need to sell Levitt, but similarly if we were convinced he would be the difference between getting promoted or not then it would make sense to keep him then lose him for nothing. His injury record would make that a real gamble however.

I felt we had a similar stick or twist scenario in January with our keeper. Imagine if we’d gone and spent a few hundred grand on a good, reliable keeper, or got one in on big wages for a 6 month loan. Expensive in the short term, but how much money would it have saved us if it kept us up? Spending nothing was ultimately the expensive option. 

The thing with Levitt though is he probably wants to go. I would want to go if I were him; it can't really be that good for his international ambitions or his next career move if he's in the Scottish Championship.

And that's the thing; if he wants to go then it does no good to keep him prisoner until he ends up leaving for nothing in 10 months time anyway. It doesn't show a lack of ambition from United, it shows some common sense.

Unlike all the other players on our books who might want to leave, he is a sellable asset but that sellability has a time limit. So now is the best time to cash in.

I'd rather he stayed but it seems inevitable he'll go and I'll bear Utd no ill will on that.

And some of these other players will go too. People are worrying that we're going to persevere with Birighitti because he hasn't left yet. Severance packages take a while to sort out, and details of them will remain private until they are completed.

I'm fairly confident him, Mulgrew, Behic and Niskanen will be off soon.

There is no way we were getting Levitt to sign for more than two years.  The plan was always to sell after one year with the hope he, and the club, had a really good season.

Obviously, its not panned out like that and we have to take the consequences.  If we recoup most of the money we paid for him and retain a sell on clause we're doing well.

There's no point in trying to keep him if he doesn't want to be here and, let's face it, he won't.  Seven months ago he was in Qatar at the WC - Arbroath away in 4 weeks time probably isn't the next exotic destination he was hoping for.

23 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Cardiff were before allegedly. Who knows.

However as said I hope we keep a hold of him rather than let him go on the cheap. 

If they do go for him, tell him to take the train down.  

23 hours ago, skinny arab said:

Cardiff and Wigan, one has a transfer embargo and the other has severe financial problems so there might be limited options. Dont know if Cardiffs transfer embargo stops them bringing in loan players so possibly a 6 month loan with an obligation to buy at next transfer window.

I think the embargo itself is being contested and only stops them buying players so I suspect something could be worked out in everyone wanted it.

1 hour ago, Aladdin said:

There is no way we were getting Levitt to sign for more than two years.  The plan was always to sell after one year with the hope he, and the club, had a really good season.

Obviously, its not panned out like that and we have to take the consequences.  If we recoup most of the money we paid for him and retain a sell on clause we're doing well.

There's no point in trying to keep him if he doesn't want to be here and, let's face it, he won't.  Seven months ago he was in Qatar at the WC - Arbroath away in 4 weeks time probably isn't the next exotic destination he was hoping for.

Aye, Arbroath is a tough option after Qatar; particularly the language barrier.

4 hours ago, Aladdin said:

The flaw in this plan being that you will always struggle to recoup a good fee for a player with only 12 months left on their contract. It never made any sense to pay a decent fee for a player and only have him on a 2-year deal. 

Anyway. Not my money. Don't care.

There's no doubt Levitt has ability, but I'm not sure he'll ever do all that much.

2 hours ago, ArabFC said:

The flaw in this plan being that you will always struggle to recoup a good fee for a player with only 12 months left on their contract. It never made any sense to pay a decent fee for a player and only have him on a 2-year deal. 

Anyway. Not my money. Don't care.

There's no doubt Levitt has ability, but I'm not sure he'll ever do all that much.

The tell tale sign of someone that's fucking devastated.

We've all been there m8.