Dundee United 23/24

39 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

That's a hell of a question to ask RandomGuy of all posters, but you can start with pretty much every centre forward in the Championship.

Louis Moult being an obviously ridiculous signing does not mean Blair Henderson would be a good one or even a better one.

I think it remains to be seen whether Moult's a ridiculous signing. Looks like he hasn't played for over seven months following his last ankle injury. It's possible that's he's actually recovered after a long period of rehabilitation, in which case he could be an amazing signing at this level. 

Of course, past experience tells us that guys who start to pick up lots of injuries towards the end of their careers are rarely far from another one but it's possible.

10 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

In other news, 5 minutes after leaving us Ian Harkes has turned into Zinedine Zidane.

2 goals from 1:45.

Ignoring Harkes, as I tended to do much of the time he was playing for us anyway, the standard of that match is appalling. I mean I’m sure casual observers watching the average Scottish match would say exactly the same thing, but I keep hearing about how MLS is a good standard now, that it’s not a retirement league anymore etc. but I’m amazed at how poor that looks.

The DC United keeper looks about as good as our very own Wizard of Oz and then halfway through they refer to him as having been selected as an All-Star! And that’s the standard Messi’s off to play at??? 

48 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

Ignoring Harkes, as I tended to do much of the time he was playing for us anyway, the standard of that match is appalling. I mean I’m sure casual observers watching the average Scottish match would say exactly the same thing, but I keep hearing about how MLS is a good standard now, that it’s not a retirement league anymore etc. but I’m amazed at how poor that looks.

The DC United keeper looks about as good as our very own Wizard of Oz and then halfway through they refer to him as having been selected as an All-Star! And that’s the standard Messi’s off to play at??? 

Aye, the defending in particular is poor and there's no intensity. It always feels like watching an exhibition match.

The commentary is always good for a laugh though as you say.

54 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

Not sure how the hell you expected the keeper to save any of those four goals.

31 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Maybe the 1st was poor from the keeper's perspective?  The 2nd was a result of his poor kick and he was caught out well off his line. The other 2, blameless. 

20 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Maybe the 1st was poor from the keeper's perspective?  The 2nd was a result of his poor kick and he was caught out well off his line. The other 2, blameless. 

The first may look poor, but very very few keepers are reaching an inswinging ball at their front post which the onrushing player just nicks his head to.

The pass was shit, but I'm guessing his manager asks him to play risky like that.

15 hours ago, PartyFears2 said:

Billy Sharp 

He was offered a coaching role  at his beloved Blades turned it down as not enough money for him! Rotherham and Chesterfield are interested but again money is a stumbling block! so you never know if you offer enough wages he may come!  he has a huge renovation project going on just now in Sheffield  so highest bidder will win him!   

Finished though !  

5 hours ago, ArabFC said:

1) Never getting there, stay on your line, you’ll save that header all day. 

2) Utter dogshit. Firstly the pass was never on, secondly the pass he attempted was very poorly executed, thirdly he had chances to get back to his line but hesitated and left himself in no man’s land, fourthly he makes a very weak attempt at a save. Apart from that it wasn’t bad. 

3 and 4 not so much, but the damage is already done. 

Id make one of my daft charts for him, but he needs to have played over 800 mins in a league season, and hes not managed that since 18/19.

Im not even sure hes managed over that number combined since.

HT and I’ll give some unexpected credit to Goodwin. There was a 15min spell there where I was actually enjoying the fitba we were playing.

If I were a glass half-full kinda guy I might think this was a work in progress and be content for now. We shall see.

Now for the negative. That young centre-back is howling.

It's not been total pish, but it's not been enough of an improvement to stop discontent from emerging as half time grew close.

If Grimshaw is not going to be playing there reguarly, then both our full backs are going to be big source of joy for teams this season. I've been a fan of Freeman, but his best spell for us is now quite some time past and increasingly looks like it was just a purple patch of form. Frankly there have been points tonight where he's just not looked interested.

I feel a bit of sympathy for Watt as he's clearly not suited to be the lone striker, or fully fit, and the service to him has not been great so far. But that's been a recurring theme for basically every striker, good or bad, we've had since we last got promoted.

Edited by captainkev