Dundee United 23/24

We must be the leakiest club in Scotland, our starting 11 available across social media and various forums since at least Robbie Neilson's stint, if not longer. Actually I'm sure I remember the 2015 League Cup final line-up being posted on here the day before the game. As welcoming as it is to hear Freeman's been dropped, can't help but think we're bad enough as it is without notifying the opposition of our plans up to 24 hours before the game every week and the club employee(s) with loose lips should probably pack it in.

On 20/07/2023 at 11:07, Big Shedboy said:

I might sound like a dinosaur, but I think most teams would improve results by focusing on a few basics

1. As mentioned, stopping crosses. (Liam Smith stood out as being really bad at this)

2. Free-kicks within 50 yds of the opposition box. Big men up and get it in there. Almost every free kick was short v Partick...drives me nuts!

3. Similar to above...get the squad working on long throws. Doesn't have to be like Rory Delap, just whoever can throw it the longest. Get the ball into the box when we have a throw 20 yds from the byline.

I'd like the club to just practise throw ins in general & to realise that you can take one quickly before the defence is set. It is an absolutely excruciating watch to watch us get a throw in, slow everything down as the right/left back amble up the pitch, stand with the ball above their head for what feels like an eternity looking for someone to receive the ball, then the inevitable. The throw comes in and it is cleared by the defense, or the receiver hits it first time to the throw taker who misses it and out it goes for an opposition throw. 🤦‍♂️

It has been like that for years, it's a joke. Like the open play on the pitch have some variation. Play fast, play slow, pass, go direct, quick throw,.long throw etc mix it up, as unpredictability stops the ability to be completely nulified by the opposition.

Edited by Tannadeechee
incapable of typing on a touch screen 🤦‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

I'd like the club to just practise throw ins in general & to realise that you can take one quickly before th defence is set. It is an absolutely excruciating watch to watch us get a throw in, slow everything down as the right/left back amble up the pitch, stand with the ball above their head for what feels like an eternity looking for someone to receive the ball, then the inevitable. The throw comes in and itnis cleared by the defense, or the receiver hits it first time to the throw taker who misses it amd out for an opposition throw. 🤦‍♂️

It has been like that for years, it's a joke. Like the open play on the pitch have some variation. Play fast, play slow, pass, go direct, quick throw,.long throw etc mix it up, as unpredictability stops the ability to be completely nulified by the opposition.

And here was me thinking that this was unique to QP

1 hour ago, Gibby82 said:

We must be the leakiest club in Scotland, our starting 11 available across social media and various forums since at least Robbie Neilson's stint, if not longer. Actually I'm sure I remember the 2015 League Cup final line-up being posted on here the day before the game. As welcoming as it is to hear Freeman's been dropped, can't help but think we're bad enough as it is without notifying the opposition of our plans up to 24 hours before the game every week and the club employee(s) with loose lips should probably pack it in.

I've mentioned this before. Folks that may get the line up, good shout to keep commsec until the morning of the game at least.

2 hours ago, Gibby82 said:

I remember the line up for that final coming out early, but it's definitely been getting worse in recent years. In the Tam Courts season I think our line-up appeared on here the night before or hours before it was officially announced for almost every single game.

On 18/07/2023 at 21:25, ArabFC said:

I can already sense that a great irritation for me this season will be Docherty getting game time ahead of Sibbald, when the latter is very obviously the better player.

As above.

Pretty much the team I would've picked apart from that.

3 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

I'd like the club to just practise throw ins in general & to realise that you can take one quickly before the defence is set. It is an absolutely excruciating watch to watch us get a throw in, slow everything down as the right/left back amble up the pitch, stand with the ball above their head for what feels like an eternity looking for someone to receive the ball, then the inevitable. The throw comes in and it is cleared by the defense, or the receiver hits it first time to the throw taker who misses it and out it goes for an opposition throw. 🤦‍♂️

This.

This.

No, seriously, this.

Even amateur teams work on throw-in routines.

For years, I've just sat with my head in my hands as our players stand around waiting for our throw-in taker to spend 10 seconds looking around before the inevitable launch towards the opposition defenders.

Edited by ArabFC

There has been signs of optimism from my seat here at Tannadice. Moult has scored, Mochrie is doing well for me, actually making decisive attacking passes and not scared to take a shot.  Grimshaw is a strange one, for a right back he constantly cuts inside into the middle. Meekison seems to be getting better and doing OK.

Other posters saying talking about thwir annoyance over Docherty starting ahead of Sibbald, my annoyance is the continual game time for Middleton. Absolutely innefectual & for a wide man appears to be towing a caravan his pace is so non existent. He also refuses to take on his man, everytime. He annoyed the hellout of me in the Premiership, if Peterhead is to hard a team for him heaven help him in the Championship.

All said and done I do hope he does well

Some nice football played, although it was against Peterhead (no disrespect intended), and I'll expect tougher games in the Championship. Mochrie and Fotheringham look good, Glass OK, but can see him being an asset. Cudjoe will be an asset too, think if he can get a goal, then he'll settle down a bit. Holt seems solid enough and Graham looked far more like he did previously.

Sibbald still looks a better player than Docherty. Watt was really noticeable as an attacking threat, he looked more like a forward thinking midfielder today, but was getting stuck in. Still looks for fouls though.

Middlelton though, should be no where near the starting 11. Fotheringham and Cudjoe both ahead of him in my opinion based on the 3 games so far. Both of them can take a man on, and look like they have pace. Also, so far at least, you'll know they are on the park.

First game I attend and we win comfortably.

Impressed by Moult, very unimpressed by Middleton, can’t judge the goalie as he had nothing to do.

I’d play Fotheringham ahead of Watt and have Sibbald in the starting line up.  We could do with another right sided attacking player and another option if Moult gets injured.

Unlike others I am not happy with Ross Graham, not sure he’s good enough and his propensity to grab players will cost us.

8 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

Some nice football played, although it was against Peterhead (no disrespect intended), and I'll expect tougher games in the Championship. Mochrie and Fotheringham look good, Glass OK, but can see him being an asset. Cudjoe will be an asset too, think if he can get a goal, then he'll settle down a bit. Holt seems solid enough and Graham looked far more like he did previously.

Sibbald still looks a better player than Docherty. Watt was really noticeable as an attacking threat, he looked more like a forward thinking midfielder today, but was getting stuck in. Still looks for fouls though.

Middlelton though, should be no where near the starting 11. Fotheringham and Cudjoe both ahead of him in my opinion based on the 3 games so far. Both of them can take a man on, and look like they have pace. Also, so far at least, you'll know they are on the park.

Need to be seeing more from Middleton and would like to see watt scoring more. Thought some of the younger guys were good today mainly Glass in that 2nd half. Probably should have scored but takes up great positions. 

21 minutes ago, Fife Arab said:

Need to be seeing more from Middleton and would like to see watt scoring more. Thought some of the younger guys were good today mainly Glass in that 2nd half. Probably should have scored but takes up great positions. 

I'm not sure we can see more from Middleton though. That is my worry. It's been mentioned further back on this thread that he was like that at Saints too. He must look good in training, has ability on the training ground, but then is anonymous in games. He'll have one good game in 6 where you think yes, "there is the player we know is in there" & then back to normal service.

Other than that I agree. Thought it was good to see Mochrie and Glass not afraid to shoot from midfield. The past few years, our team has been scared to shoot.

Edited by Tannadeechee