Dundee United 23/24

Not greatly impressed with signing Gallagher. On the one hand, he's clearly a violent thug and I struggle to dismiss taking a baseball bat to someone's head as merely a youthful indiscretion. On the other hand, we do need a right sided centre half. I'd just rather it wasn't him. 

He has done his time and got out and got his head down and restarted his career and started a family.

He has worked his way up from playing League 1 football on release from prison to earn international caps. If you don't think that's the sort of personality and mentality we need around the club then I'm not sure what you would want.

Unless we are saying people can never be rehabilitated or learn lessons then I don't have any issue with signing him.

1 hour ago, MenstrieSaint said:

I wonder if you will make a move to take Alex Greive on loan . Goodwin knows him and he,s a hard worker , who had a few goal involvements last season and I think he would contribute a lot more if he stepped down a grade . Still quite young and has the potential to kick on .

I wouldn't be against that tbh

3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

He has done his time and got out and got his head down and restarted his career and started a family.

He has worked his way up from playing League 1 football on release from prison to earn international caps. If you don't think that's the sort of personality and mentality we need around the club then I'm not sure what you would want.

Unless we are saying people can never be rehabilitated or learn lessons then I don't have any issue with signing him.

Yeah, that's a perfectly valid view. I'm not advocating against the guy, just not keen on violent thugs in general. Hopefully he's a changed man.

29 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

There has been an ongoing debate about Goodwillie and the fact that he has continued to deny his guilt and has shown no contrition.  Has Gallagher ever shown any contrition?  I’ve seen reports from the time of the trial and at his release and not seen any.

I’m happy to see criminals rehabilitate and get a second chance but contrition should be part of that.

1 hour ago, MenstrieSaint said:

I wonder if you will make a move to take Alex Greive on loan . Goodwin knows him and he,s a hard worker , who had a few goal involvements last season and I think he would contribute a lot more if he stepped down a grade . Still quite young and has the potential to kick on .

Just had a look at his Wiki page, his goals to appearances ratio is awful unless most of these appearances were an 80 minute sub.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

There has been an ongoing debate about Goodwillie and the fact that he has continued to deny his guilt and has shown no contrition.  Has Gallagher ever shown any contrition?  I’ve seen reports from the time of the trial and at his release and not seen any.

I’m happy to see criminals rehabilitate and get a second chance but contrition should be part of that.

He quite clearly has been rehabilitated, whether you are happy to see that or not. I don’t think there should be a requirement for those convicted to make public declarations of their regret on release. He has quite clearly shown that by what he has achieved since - like Martindale it is actually quite incredible. 

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

He quite clearly has been rehabilitated, whether you are happy to see that or not. I don’t think there should be a requirement for those convicted to make public declarations of their regret on release. He has quite clearly shown that by what he has achieved since - like Martindale it is actually quite incredible. 

I’m not looking for self-flagellation, more like “I did something terrible which I regret”.

31 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Just had a look at his Wiki page, his goals to appearances ratio is awful unless most of these appearances were an 80 minute sub.

A lot of his appearances were from the bench with Main and Alunga and then Main and Watt being the first choices . Think he actually plays well when he plays against Dundee United .

Robinson told his club website: "Declan had an opportunity arise to move to Dundee United and he's from Dundee, so it's something that works well for him.

Since when was Gallagher from Dundee?

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I'm all in favour of rehabilitation and given how Gallagher has rebounded since spending time inside, I'm happy to have him on board.

I once played fitba with a guy who'd just got out of jail for stabbing - top bloke apart from that 😄

Rapists on the other hand 🤮 Nah, my sympathies don't extend quite that far.

17 minutes ago, RawB93 said:

Robinson told his club website: "Declan had an opportunity arise to move to Dundee United and he's from Dundee, so it's something that works well for him.

Since when was Gallagher from Dundee?

He still lives in the city apparently, since his time at Dens.

I have to say I wasn’t super happy when Declan signed for us, given his previous. I’d always known he was a top player though, as I watched him at Clyde when he was on loan from Celtic. He was a standout performer at a young age. To give the big man his due, he was excellent for us on and off the pitch. He’s not the brightest, but at the end of the day he’s a footballer not a nuclear physicist. He has a young family and seems to have matured. A yard quicker, and a few years younger, and we would have been happy to extend his stay in Paisley. I’m pretty sure that the Saints fans will wish him well at Tannadeechee.