Dundee United 23/24

3 minutes ago, foxinperu said:

Morning!  I can’t work out if you’re on the wind up or not?

Which particular bad times are you referring to?  I mean I was probably going to the games, but not posting on P&B.  
Thanks for the kind welcome though.

Congratulations on your first whoosh.

Welcome to P&B

3 minutes ago, Fife Arab said:

we were excellent yesterday. Controlled from the first minute and the captain back was a big boost. I have only seen a couple of posts but anyone saying young Declan in the middle was poor yesterday clearly watched a different game than me!! I thought he was excellent. Final ball could have been better at times but that will come with game time! First league start since Hibs away if I’m correct? Also can take a corner without hitting the first man. Great overall performance as a team. 

Yeah, I was a bit apprehensive seeing Glass starting in a position which needs a bit more defensive discipline but I thought he was excellent in building play and also around the opposition box. Best full game that I think he's had for United, albeit against a poor team. If he can sort out the defensive weaknesses, such as they are or were, then he could be a real asset.  You don't get many guys who can strike the ball as well as he does from the edge of the box.

Great result yesterday at a place where we have witnessed some dismal performances during our last time in the championship. Really impressed with Docherty again and I thought Glass had a good game, really hope he can finally get a run of games and prove he is good enough as it’s really now or never for him as he no longer falls into the youngsters category for me. As others have said we have a good spine to the team (Walton, Gallagher & Holt, Docherty & Sibbald, Moult), the worry is how we cope with any injuries there, Glass stepped in well for Sibbald yesterday but I’d be very concerned if Gallagher or Moult were missing. Next 2 league games at home and we really have to be looking to take maximum points. 

Something I’ve never quite understood happened in the Utd game yesterday.

Utd went 2-0 up with 60 mins gone and I believe it was one way traffic. Surely you then just put all the young boys on for at least 25 mins?

Four were brought on at different stages during the last 18 mins with Mochrie coming on in the 89th minute.

Why not just throw them all on at the 65 min mark? The risk of drawing or losing at that point is surely extremely extremely low?

Clearly football managers up and the country know much better than me why they do this - is it just because of that VERY outside chance of a come back? 

Edited by UtdFan
Typos 🤣

3 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Yeah, I was a bit apprehensive seeing Glass starting in a position which needs a bit more defensive discipline but I thought he was excellent in building play and also around the opposition box. Best full game that I think he's had for United, albeit against a poor team. If he can sort out the defensive weaknesses, such as they are or were, then he could be a real asset.  You don't get many guys who can strike the ball as well as he does from the edge of the box.

I didn't see the game so can't comment on performance, but I've always had a sneaking suspicion that Glass may be suited to more of a central role, albeit alongside an enforcer.

43 minutes ago, UtdFan said:

Something I’ve never quite understood happened in the Utd game yesterday.

Utd went 2-0 up with 60 mins gone and I believe it was one way traffic. Surely you then just put all the young boys on for at least 25 mins?

Four were brought on at different stages during the last 18 mins with Mochrie coming on in the 89th minute.

Why not just throw them all on at the 65 min mark? The risk of drawing or losing at that point is surely extremely extremely low?

Clearly football managers up and the country know much better than me why they do this - is it just because of that VERY outside chance of a come back? 

It stops being a very outside chance when you take your foot off the gas and start messing about with a winning team.

Mochrie came on at the end to replace Glass. When was the last time Glass got 89 minutes for United? I'm not sure it's ever happened before. Cudjoe played the whole game. Meekison, Fotheringham and Macleod all got decent minutes. 

Let's say Goodwin makes wholesale changes after 65 minutes and as result Ayr start to get a foothold in the game and grab a goal. You've gone from a comfortable win to hanging on all for the sake of giving a few more minutes to some guys. It's a ridiculous idea, frankly. 

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

Even watching the crappy transmission yesterday there was no doubt that it was a goal.  That clip is far better quality than the match coverage was, not sure it’s source.

47 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Even watching the crappy transmission yesterday there was no doubt that it was a goal.  That clip is far better quality than the match coverage was, not sure it’s source.

Club media.

I couldn't really see the goal yesterday and found this to be more confirmation for myself than anything 🤣

12 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Club media.

I couldn't really see the goal yesterday and found this to be more confirmation for myself than anything 🤣

I had to rely on Twitter updates yesterday. What a howler from the keeper (so happy I can say that and it isn't about our keeper), cannot understand why he didn't push it over the bar for a corner. Well executed by Moult though & a good pass from Cudjoe.

Edited by Tannadeechee

3 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

It stops being a very outside chance when you take your foot off the gas and start messing about with a winning team.

Mochrie came on at the end to replace Glass. When was the last time Glass got 89 minutes for United? I'm not sure it's ever happened before. Cudjoe played the whole game. Meekison, Fotheringham and Macleod all got decent minutes. 

Let's say Goodwin makes wholesale changes after 65 minutes and as result Ayr start to get a foothold in the game and grab a goal. You've gone from a comfortable win to hanging on all for the sake of giving a few more minutes to some guys. It's a ridiculous idea, frankly. 

Completely get that angle on it but the other angle is that the young boys need minutes to ensure they can handle it if / when called upon properly in a tougher situation.

Surely in a game when you’re two nil up and cruising is the time? 

Not complaining By the way, pretty sure Goodwin and other managers around the country know better than me. 🤣

It was the third league game of the season. As much as it would be nice to get the young guys some experience, we also need to be getting some continuity with what is still a relatively new team.

It's also not a brilliant idea to change 4 guys at once if it's not necessary, as that many changes would surely disrupt the rhythm. As others have said, it was only 2-0. You tend to only see those large scale changes if it's 4 or 5 nil, or you're losing and you need a complete overhaul

The young lads have developed really well under Goodwin. Glass was excellent yesterday and Fotheringham showed he could also hold his own if called upon. Mochrie, Meekison and McLeod continue getting game time and in this Division I'd have no problems with them starting if another player was injured. Great to see young Owen Stirton bench and being involved in warm up and fan appreciation at end. Although I did notice that at the end of the warm up he had responsibility of collecting the balls and putting them in the big holdall.

Watched the first few Tony Watt youtube vlog clips, which I found surpisingly enjoyable and I thought gave some interesting additional insight versus what we normally see.

A few thoughts on Watt himself - I was quite against him ever playing for us again, but he continues to win me around so far this season:

• Docherty seems to be a huge standard setter for us. He seems to demand a certain level of application, tracking back and accountability from every player, leading by example through small details - first out for warm up, sprinting through drills etc.  He demands those standards of application and dig during games both from our younger players, but also from more senior heads like Watt.  I think this is really good for Tony.
  • Previously Watt might not have bought into this or accepted getting called out for laziness etc., but I wonder whether the fact he is car sharing with Docherty, and has vice captain position, means attitude is better and he is more willing to listen/react positively.
  • I think Gallagher is a good addition.  Not only a strong cable defender in his own right, but he seems to be quite close with Watt; again helping us get the best version of Tony, making it more likely he stays engaged & isn’t disruptive. 
  • I also think having a strong goal threat in Moult (and maybe even at this rate Holt!!) lifts some of the pressure off Watt.

Anyway, so far so good. Hope he keeps it up his good showings.

Small detail from Ayr, but even the fact he was wearing proper full socks rather than those stupid little socks, pulled down around tiny shin pads was a positive sign for me.