Dundee United 23/24

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

I think my point is there is no basis to say he is bad but equally no basis to say he is good.

Think a loan move is exactly what he needs. 

Aye, wasn't particularly replying to you, more to posts I've read on here and beyond where such and such is absolutely shite and will never make it, or none of these kids are good enough. Criticism is natural but I find it hard to gauge any of them really as very few have had an extended run in the team. Same people probably who are now talking about how much Declan Glass is worth in today's market, after a few reasonably promising displays in the Championship. Meekison has been written off, Mochrie too bizarrely. 

Even under Courts when Asghar was beating his substantial chest about how many academy players we were introducing, most would get half an hour and then be back on the bench again for the next month. When Chalmers left there were people talking very authoritatively about him, his apparent weaknesses mainly (boy's just no good enough apparently) but I can only think of a handful of times I've actually seen him play. He did ok against Rangers in the 1-0 Jamie Robson game then was bombed out for Niskannen, who genuinely wasn't very good.

Not to say we're not all guilty of it, I had pretty much dismissed Fotheringham as fodder after last season which shows how much I know.

4 hours ago, Gibby82 said:

Aye, wasn't particularly replying to you, more to posts I've read on here and beyond where such and such is absolutely shite and will never make it, or none of these kids are good enough. Criticism is natural but I find it hard to gauge any of them really as very few have had an extended run in the team. Same people probably who are now talking about how much Declan Glass is worth in today's market, after a few reasonably promising displays in the Championship. Meekison has been written off, Mochrie too bizarrely. 

Even under Courts when Asghar was beating his substantial chest about how many academy players we were introducing, most would get half an hour and then be back on the bench again for the next month. When Chalmers left there were people talking very authoritatively about him, his apparent weaknesses mainly (boy's just no good enough apparently) but I can only think of a handful of times I've actually seen him play. He did ok against Rangers in the 1-0 Jamie Robson game then was bombed out for Niskannen, who genuinely wasn't very good.

Not to say we're not all guilty of it, I had pretty much dismissed Fotheringham as fodder after last season which shows how much I know.

I had Fotheringham down as nowhere near ready which I think was justified on last seasons performances but either I was completely  wrong or it can turn quickly. Hopefully same happens for MacLeod.

I'm due Cudjoe a huge apology though 

Got to give the academy graduates as much time as possible on the pitch this season to prove themselves and get used to the pace / standard. 

There’s a very high chance of promotion and it will be difficult next season if we’re involved in bottom six scraps.

As soon as we’re a couple of goals up in any game this season, get them on. 

Despite today’s result I was watching the match today thinking what an excellent signing Moult has been.  Not just his goal scoring but his positional sense, work rate, and technical ability.  I’m surprised he’s not playing in the Scottish Premiership.

Despite his role in the Morton goal I also think Gallagher has been a very good signing and am impressed that Grimshaw, who is obviously the first choice RB, is beginning to offer more going forward.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Despite today’s result I was watching the match today thinking what an excellent signing Moult has been.  Not just his goal scoring but his positional sense, work rate, and technical ability.  I’m surprised he’s not playing in the Scottish Premiership.

Despite his role in the Morton goal I also think Gallagher has been a very good signing and am impressed that Grimshaw, who is obviously the first choice RB, is beginning to offer more going forward.

Granted it's difficult to compare given one is playing in the Championship and one played for us in the Premier, but I think he's an upgrade on Fletcher. A more rounded player I think 

19 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m delighted for Moult that’s he doing well and importantly for him and the very least staying fit.

I guess the reason no premiership team took a chance on him is his horrific injury record since leaving us 5 years ago. I don’t think he’s played more than a dozen games in 5 years and when he came back to us last season on loan, broke down almost instantly. His goal scoring and ability was never the issue, only his fitness, or ability to not be seriously injured. 

It’s a fairly consistent debate among Motherwell fans on whether we should’ve taken him back after his last op. For many it just wasn’t worth the risk, for others, including myself, I wouldn’t have built the team round him, but as an option off the bench, absolutely.

Of course we don’t know what happened behind the scenes. Maybe we were in for him but Utd offered more and a longer deal?

For me it’s the only real black mark against Kettlewell is that he appears not to have entertained re-signing Moult on account of his injury riddled past but signed known sick notes in Obika, Wilkinson and Souaré and guess what? They’re all crocked long term within 2 games of the season starting! 🤦‍♂️ 

Anyway, delighted Moult is staying fit and doing well and just hope we don’t meet in the cup or finish 2nd bottom and Utd finish 2nd top as getting relegated at the hands of Louis Moult would be the stuff of nightmares! 

Edited by Allroy for Prez

18 hours ago, Steven W said:

Granted it's difficult to compare given one is playing in the Championship and one played for us in the Premier, but I think he's an upgrade on Fletcher. A more rounded player I think 

Fletcher was great and he would have been unreal in this league. It was the playing up front with zero support or runners in behind that was the issue there. 

3 minutes ago, UtdFan said:

Fletcher was great and he would have been unreal in this league. It was the playing up front with zero support or runners in behind that was the issue there. 

Firstly I have issues referring to any player from last season as "great".

I may be in the minority but I never got the 'love in' from a lot of Utd fans towards Fletcher. Sure he tried and put himself about, but I'd expect that from any player.

Granted the money at Wrexham will probably be decent, but plying his trade in EFL League 2, after failing to even get a club for a couple of months despite being a free agent is kinda telling.

2 hours ago, Steven W said:

I may be in the minority but I never got the 'love in' from a lot of Utd fans towards Fletcher. Sure he tried and put himself about, but I'd expect that from any player.

Granted the money at Wrexham will probably be decent, but plying his trade in EFL League 2, after failing to even get a club for a couple of months despite being a free agent is kinda telling.

I thought Fletcher had a lot of quality, won an enormous amount of 1st balls he contested, but he never convinced that he could be a prolific scorer.  Even dropping down the level, I’m just not sure he’d have given us loads of goals this season.  That would be fine if there was a ruthless finisher arriving on to knockdowns and banging them in….there wasn’t, and isn’t for us.

Moult looks a much more natural goal-hunter, goal scorer.  Hopefully he gets loads for us.

Fletcher is not a prolific goal poacher type so shouldn’t be judged on his goals record, that’s not his game.

He was missing a poacher in and around him. Would have been a certain starter in any SPL team last year outside the Old Firm. Quality player. 

5 hours ago, Steven W said:

A few more players with the ability and attitude of Fletcher rather than the ability and attitude of Mulgrew, Watt, Pawlett, Harkes and Birighitti and we’d probably still be in the Premiership.

11 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

Weird two to put in there, but ok.

Aye, Pawlett is a perma-crock who should have never gotten his last contract extension, but on the rare occasions when he was fit to play he did seem to actually give a toss. He'd be quite far down on my list of who's to blame for last season's mess. Frankly our former captain has to be singled out if we're listing those most responsible.

Edited by captainkev

1 hour ago, captainkev said:

Frankly our former captain has to be singled out if we're listing those most responsible.

I assume that as a coping mechanism you have completely blanked Mark Birighitti from your memory?

Understandable, if so.  I wish I was that far along in my recovery.

1 hour ago, captainkev said:

Aye, Pawlett is a perma-crock who should have never gotten his last contract extension, but on the rare occasions when he was fit to play he did seem to actually give a toss. He'd be quite far down on my list of who's to blame for last season's mess. Frankly our former captain has to be singled out if we're listing those most responsible.

Fair point; he certainly deserved a dishonourable mention.

4 hours ago, arab_joe said:

I assume that as a coping mechanism you have completely blanked Mark Birighitti from your memory?

Understandable, if so.  I wish I was that far along in my recovery.

Oh no, I remember don't worry. It's just that Granny had already mentioned him and missed Edwards.

For all the rumours about Mulgrew being a disruptive influence at the club, at the tail end of last season I at least felt he was still trying; the problem was that he'd clearly played one year too far and his legs were gone. Edwards doesn't have that excuse and there were multiple occasions last year where he blatantly downed tools, regardless of how much he protested/whined to the press to the contrary.

Edited by captainkev