Dundee United 23/24

7 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

Not a fan of Ross Graham playing on the right side of defence but I thought he was excellent today 

Yeah our best player.  Walton was fine as well but don’t think anyone else gets pass marks.  Subs didn’t do anything either really. Desperately need our forward players to find some form.  Also, our corners are brutal - really need to sort this seeing as we get about 15 a game.

5 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

Not a fan of Ross Graham playing on the right side of defence but I thought he was excellent today 

There's a good defender in there but he's like Derek Zoolander, literally can't turn left.

52 minutes ago, Loemba90 said:

Yeah our best player.  Walton was fine as well but don’t think anyone else gets pass marks.  Subs didn’t do anything either really. Desperately need our forward players to find some form.  Also, our corners are brutal - really need to sort this seeing as we get about 15 a game.

Thought Sibbald was head and shoulders above everyone else on the park. Holt and McMann also very good. 

Kai, Watt and Middleton all quite flat but credit to Dunfermline for defending well.

I agree with a few on here regarding Rodd Graham being our best player today, posting to add Kai Fotheringham is wasted as a winger, to me he's a striker, and if Wotherspoon had to play today, put him wide, or bring him on for the ineffectual Middleton (today) later on.

Goodwin knows better, I suppose.

2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I agree with a few on here regarding Rodd Graham being our best player today, posting to add Kai Fotheringham is wasted as a winger, to me he's a striker, and if Wotherspoon had to play today, put him wide, or bring him on for the ineffectual Middleton (today) later on.

Goodwin knows better, I suppose.

I think fotheringham is best as a #10.  He can play wide but if the service isn't there it's a bit of a waste.  

On 10/01/2024 at 08:18, Molotov said:

A57385FB-2B01-4542-BA77-5595894660E1.jpeg.8a2c1e66082abe0dedc43a7791337bdf.jpeg

Bought the majority shareholding only 4 years ago. For such a successful business career how do these people manage to lose so much money when it comes to “soccer”?

The Covid season losses were understandable as most clubs at our lever suffered badly but this just seems a bit of a car crash. 

Guys like Tony Watt and Declan Gallagher will be on significant wages - arguably earning more than most top flight diddy clubs. I believe St Mirren are due a fee for Declan if United get promoted. 

Rivalry aside - I’d hate to see United supporters suffer due to financial difficulties caused by the running of the club. 

Football clubs are businesses but they are kinda unlike other businesses. People involved in football clubs make decisions that they wouldn’t ordinarily make in their day to day businesses. 

On 10/01/2024 at 08:23, Molotov said:

Is there any governance at the SPFL to stop another club getting into financial difficulties?

We have a long list of clubs in Scotland going into administration or liquidation but we never seem to stop these owners from continuing to create these situations that affects so many people attached to the clubs involved - players, staff, creditors, the supporters and the wider community.

Do the current rules around points deductions or transfer embargoes only come into place once an administration occurs? It just seems to me that’s often too late. 

It’s in the same in the lower leagues. I would say the majority of the clubs in the lower leagues are pretty unsustainable and rely on individuals putting money in. However, there is no FFP in the lower leagues. I think there would be an unofficial percentage for playing costs to turnover but I don’t think it’s ever enforced. I would think the championship clubs would all be ok as the attendances and prize money are decent (Dundee Utd perhaps not due to their large cost base). League 1 & 2 clubs I would question how sustainable they are. 

Fotheringham is a good player, but he shouldn't be undroppable. I'd like to see Cudjoe - who some supporters appear to have lost faith with purely because he's been out of sight and therefore out of mind for a while - given a shot again, or even Wotherspoon out at wide right and two up front in the next game.

Dunfermline - like a few other teams this season - quite rightly turned up to defend well and maybe hit us on the break, and while we have better players, those players don't seem to have the ability to break that type of tactic down. It's why I think we're better away from home; on their own patch teams actually try to win games.

Having said that, we still had the chances to win the game, so that combined with Raith self destructing, means I'm fair confident going in to this half of the season.

For transfer deadline day, I'm not really sure what I want us to bring in. The obvious thing to say would be a central defender, but he'd be 4th pick so who are we going to get on those terms? We've now got three strikers, 17 million attacking midfielders, three central midfielders (four if you include Grimshaw) but maybe only 1 good choice each side at fullback?

I suppose it all comes down to availability. If we're offered someone who can make a genuine difference to the first XI then we should take him, otherwise, why bring in someone for the sake of it.

24 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

Fotheringham is a good player, but he shouldn't be undroppable. I'd like to see Cudjoe - who some supporters appear to have lost faith with purely because he's been out of sight and therefore out of mind for a while - given a shot again, or even Wotherspoon out at wide right and two up front in the next game.

Dunfermline - like a few other teams this season - quite rightly turned up to defend well and maybe hit us on the break, and while we have better players, those players don't seem to have the ability to break that type of tactic down. It's why I think we're better away from home; on their own patch teams actually try to win games.

Having said that, we still had the chances to win the game, so that combined with Raith self destructing, means I'm fair confident going in to this half of the season.

For transfer deadline day, I'm not really sure what I want us to bring in. The obvious thing to say would be a central defender, but he'd be 4th pick so who are we going to get on those terms? We've now got three strikers, 17 million attacking midfielders, three central midfielders (four if you include Grimshaw) but maybe only 1 good choice each side at fullback?

I suppose it all comes down to availability. If we're offered someone who can make a genuine difference to the first XI then we should take him, otherwise, why bring in someone for the sake of it.

Exactly.  Grieve and Wotherspoon aren't any better than what we have, they have just increased our options.  If there is someone available who would improve our team though, they are most likely going to go to a better team

8 hours ago, Aufc said:

Football clubs are businesses but they are kinda unlike other businesses. People involved in football clubs make decisions that they wouldn’t ordinarily make in their day to day businesses. 

It’s in the same in the lower leagues. I would say the majority of the clubs in the lower leagues are pretty unsustainable and rely on individuals putting money in. However, there is no FFP in the lower leagues. I think there would be an unofficial percentage for playing costs to turnover but I don’t think it’s ever enforced. I would think the championship clubs would all be ok as the attendances and prize money are decent (Dundee Utd perhaps not due to their large cost base). League 1 & 2 clubs I would question how sustainable they are. 

How many L1 or L2 teams have gone into administration/liquidation?

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

How many L1 or L2 teams have gone into administration/liquidation?

None that I can think of but I would think the majority of them have some form of businessman/men who underwrite them

5 hours ago, Tap in 94 said:

We should have went for Danny Wilson. About to sign for Queens Park 

5 hours ago, Tap in 94 said:

We should have went for Danny Wilson. About to sign for Queens Park 

Not a Marys prayer!