Dundee United 23/24

Middleton wasn't great, but I'm wondering if it's a particularly United fan trait to pour all scorn on one of the wide players. Even our good ones -going back to the likes of Conway and McLaren always seemed to get more than their fair share of hate.

Last night most of our pressure came down the left hand side, but hey-ho.

We're shite. That much has been obvious since pre-season, but the rest of the league is somehow even shiter, so we will probably make it up. We'll be kinda fcuked without sweeping changes though, that probably won't happen.

18 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Indeed.  They’ve done well.  They’ve got some really good things about them, but I do think they’ve carried a fair amount of luck, last night being another example.  

They weren't "lucky" last night, they just took the chances when they got them. United squandered plenty of chances to win that game.

Thats not "luck", its just United lacking quality. 

Theres a reason Moult and Watt are at this level and its not the "draw" of playing for United.

First time this season I've woken up angry about the previous day's game.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there's been a single game this season where we've dropped points where we haven't been on top for large parts and just squandered opportunities (or at the very least, possession).

The whole lot of them need to wake up. Raith are a side who - if you look at the stats anyway - have punched above their weight. I believe that's now 19 points they've turned around this season with goals in the last 5 minutes. But they will continue to do that, so we have to go into games and look to have a cutting edge.

There's absolutely a tactical element involved here that Goodwin is culpable for, but Watt, Graham, Moult and Holt all wasted clear cut chances.

It feels as though the team believe that they'll win the league regardless, but to do that you do have to win games!

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They weren't "lucky" last night, they just took the chances when they got them. United squandered plenty of chances to win that game.

Thats not "luck", its just United lacking quality. 

Theres a reason Moult and Watt are at this level and its not the "draw" of playing for United.

Meh, there’s a fair bit of luck involved, particularly in the linesman not spotting the offside goal.  

You could look at last night in isolation, or you could look at the pile of goals Utd have scored this season.  They could easily have had three or four last night, with the same performance. 

Rovers had one shot in the second half. 

3 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there's been a single game this season where we've dropped points where we haven't been on top for large parts and just squandered opportunities (or at the very least, possession).

The whole lot of them need to wake up. Raith are a side who - if you look at the stats anyway - have punched above their weight. I believe that's now 19 points they've turned around this season with goals in the last 5 minutes. But they will continue to do that, so we have to go into games and look to have a cutting edge.

There's absolutely a tactical element involved here that Goodwin is culpable for, but Watt, Graham, Moult and Holt all wasted clear cut chances.

It feels as though the team believe that they'll win the league regardless, but to do that you do have to win games!

This, and the fact that all of their wins have been by a single goal, are wild stats. 

7 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Meh, there’s a fair bit of luck involved, particularly in the linesman not spotting the offside goal.  

If you want to go down that road, you could easily say that United were lucky their equalised stood given where Moult's arm was. I mean, if it went to VAR there is a  possibility that goal would have been disallowed given he pulled the defendre down by wrapping his arm around his neck. Stones in glass houses etc.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Our defence have been very good at stopping the opposition for most of the season, but last night they displayed a negative attitude that ultimately destroyed any momentum we were trying to build.

We started positively with good forward runs being made by Holt, Grisham and McMann that forced Raith backward and created openings for our forwards. If this had continued,  we would have probably gone on to win. Instead, after losing a goal, they started to pass sideways and backwards more and more, encouraging Raith to be more positive. 

Add to this, Goodwin's removal of Wotherspoon, who was actively looking to play defence opening passes, and we became more and more toothless as the game went on.

This was an avoidable defeat.

23 minutes ago, adamntg said:

You could look at last night in isolation, or you could look at the pile of goals Utd have scored this season.  They could easily have had three or four last night, with the same performance. 

And one goal 😜

47 minutes ago, adamntg said:

And scored it.

Its not always "bad luck" when your side loses, sometimes they just arent good enough to win.

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

They still haven’t won a game by more than one goal and as we’ve seen over the last month and a half, are quite capable of losing to just about every team in the division. 

No, clearly they're not...

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

And scored it.

Its not always "bad luck" when your side loses, sometimes they just arent good enough to win.

True, but sometimes it is.  There’s no guarantee of winning a game, ever.  You can only set up to try and create as many chances as you can and then trust that you can convert more than the opposition. 

If Rovers plan was to sit tight and then someone could rattle it into the top corner from 30 yards with one minute to go - that’s not a great plan.

7 minutes ago, adamntg said:

If Rovers plan was to sit tight and then someone could rattle it into the top corner from 30 yards with one minute to go - that’s not a great plan.

Aye that was always going to be our game plan, what a load of pish, coming from a DU supporter who is clearly upset by losing to an 'inferior' team😁

54 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

Fully agree.

Raith have won games aplenty by one late goal. Its almost a running joke.

Our play was so predictable and cumbersome at times it was boiling my pish.

Id add that it felt like Goodwin was quite happy to play out the draw and only reacted when they scored a piledriver out of the blue by chucking folk on with seconds to go.

I'd be happy to see most of this 'group' binned regardless of what league we're in. In particular Goodwin, Watt, Middleton and Grimshaw if possible.

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

As could Rovers, with several very good chances in 1st half, notably at the feet of Josh Mullin.

Try to retain some perspective or balance. You'll be happier.

1 hour ago, chris1883 said:

If you want to go down that road, you could easily say that United were lucky their equalised stood given where Moult's arm was. I mean, if it went to VAR there is a  possibility that goal would have been disallowed given he pulled the defendre down by wrapping his arm around his neck. Stones in glass houses etc.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Ross Graham, not Moult. 

But I agree, forensics were out for Rudden's goal but not Moult's. Ridiculous analysis 

8 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

As could Rovers, with several very good chances in 1st half, notably at the feet of Josh Mullin.

Try to retain some perspective or balance. You'll be happier.

They definitely could’ve scored two more in the first half, absolutely.  The second one Mullin missed in particular was very poor.  

Edited by adamntg

5 minutes ago, adamntg said:

They definitely could’ve scored two more in the first half, absolutely.  The second one Mullin missed in particular was very poor.  

It was. Every bit as poor as Watt's shot straight at the keeper in the opening minutes.

It's about taking chances. We did.

2 hours ago, adamntg said:

I note that when discussing luck you appear to be ignoring any luck United has had in games.  Regardless of who is lucky and who is not, it’s not luck that a team like Raith score so many late goals.  It’s good coaching and having recruited players with a good attitude and good work ethic.  I thought the body language of the players from each team was notably different last night.

If you wish to continue speaking about luck.  How lucky are United to have an owner that chose to buy them and subsequently invest well in excess of £10 million to the club in his short tenure?   There are plenty of clubs that will never have that sort of luck. 

Edited by Shadow Play