Dundee United 23/24

There's a real toxic mix of lack of creativity, dig, leadership and in too many cases a lack of bare minimum effort.

If the alternative wasn't playing children I'd happily see Middleton and Watt freed tonight. 

Thomson was good. Grieve put a shift in  but is nowhere near it.

Even reliables like Holt and Moult really looking poor.

5 minutes ago, Big Shedboy said:

If we're serious about going up then the manager has to go now 

A disgusting, knee-jerk attitude IMO.

Spoiler

You should wait to let us gunge that Paisley b*****d next week instead. 

Goodwin completely to blame for that tonight. It was clear the shape wasn’t working from midway through the first half and should have been changed at half time at the very least (along with a couple of players), poor substitutions again (to lose a goal then bring Grimshaw on to play the same role as Meekison was is absolutely baffling) and how Middleton lasts the full game really needs some explaining. 

Why o fucking why was Middleton back on corners? Thomson put in some great deliveries last game but doesn’t take one until about 15 minutes from the end where Gallagher wins the header and should perhaps do better. 

9 minutes ago, Big Shedboy said:

I think United will still get promoted.  The trouble for United fans is I don’t think your board will have the same courage of conviction as the Dundee board did when we got promoted so I think you will be stuck with Goodwin next season - at least until early December…..

12 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I think United will still get promoted.  The trouble for United fans is I don’t think your board will have the same courage of conviction as the Dundee board did when we got promoted so I think you will be stuck with Goodwin next season - at least until early December…..

I'd be surprised if anyone who witnessed tonight's sh1tshow would agree with your initial sentence.

1 hour ago, skinny arab said:

Goodwin completely to blame for that tonight. It was clear the shape wasn’t working from midway through the first half and should have been changed at half time at the very least (along with a couple of players), poor substitutions again (to lose a goal then bring Grimshaw on to play the same role as Meekison was is absolutely baffling) and how Middleton lasts the full game really needs some explaining. 

Why o fucking why was Middleton back on corners? Thomson put in some great deliveries last game but doesn’t take one until about 15 minutes from the end where Gallagher wins the header and should perhaps do better. 

Meekison was honking though, as was Mochrie.  Grimshaw did better than either. 

I was sure I saw Fotheringham coming on at one point, but then he seemed to vanish again for the rest of the game. 

That was the straw that broke the camel’s back for me tonight. All season we’ve kind of squeaked along, doing just enough to be acceptable. Cup results were embarrassing but we were never going to win them anyway and it was hard to be too critical when we were unbeaten and only being matched by a Raith side that were punching well above their weight.

That hasn’t been the case since Christmas, when Raith went on the kind of run we suspected they might but we have singularly failed to take advantage. And I’ve seen nothing under Goodwin, starting last season with 5 straight defeats post split,  continuing up to the 2 games vs Raith and now this that suggests he’ll come up with results when it really matters during the run in. 

Off you f**k, Jim. 

3 hours ago, Big Shedboy said:

Not trying to be funny here but is this an over reaction you think?   I mean, you are STILL top of the league. RR went on a horrible run a few weeks ago but there wasn’t any sign of the board sacking Ian Murray.  Still a good way to go, he hasn’t got you into an impossible situation.  Top is top, and no manager who leads a team to that position with 2/3 of the season gone deserves to be sacked 

9 hours ago, Big Shedboy said:

Replace him with Levein IMO, match made in heaven.

We're at the stage where questions do have to be asked about Jim Goodwin, and he needs to reflect on his own tactical performance. I had heard - admittedly second hand - that the long and the short of his tactical instructions is "get it wide and cross it" (and yet we seem to rarely manage that at the moment).

As much as we all want products of our youth system to do well, Meekison and Mochrie looked absolutely miles off it last night. In part that's down to a lack of game time, but also it's down to team selection, tactics and their own drive and determination (you'd think Miller Thomson had played dozens of games for us compared to them). I think we might have got away with picking one of them, but not both. Instead, both now would be nowhere near the starting XI again for the remainder of the season.

It's not fair to blame them specifically though; the whole team - with the exception of Thomson and maybe the centre backs, although I don't know if one of them cost us the first goal - played like they were in a training game. They sauntered around like it was a foregone conclusion that we'd win somehow. Chief culprits for this were Watt and Middleton.

Middleton in particular just hides, yet he stayed on for the entire 90 mins.

I don't think we have the money - or a chairman who cares enough - to sack Goodwin, so we just have to hope Raith drop more points than us.

9 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

We're at the stage where questions do have to be asked about Jim Goodwin, and he needs to reflect on his own tactical performance. I had heard - admittedly second hand - that the long and the short of his tactical instructions is "get it wide and cross it" (and yet we seem to rarely manage that at the moment).

As much as we all want products of our youth system to do well, Meekison and Mochrie looked absolutely miles off it last night. In part that's down to a lack of game time, but also it's down to team selection, tactics and their own drive and determination (you'd think Miller Thomson had played dozens of games for us compared to them). I think we might have got away with picking one of them, but not both. Instead, both now would be nowhere near the starting XI again for the remainder of the season.

It's not fair to blame them specifically though; the whole team - with the exception of Thomson and maybe the centre backs, although I don't know if one of them cost us the first goal - played like they were in a training game. They sauntered around like it was a foregone conclusion that we'd win somehow. Chief culprits for this were Watt and Middleton.

Middleton in particular just hides, yet he stayed on for the entire 90 mins.

I don't think we have the money - or a chairman who cares enough - to sack Goodwin, so we just have to hope Raith drop more points than us.

Yup, Meekison or Mochrie with Sibbs and Tilson would have been the better choice last night. Mochrie in particular in the first half didn't make a successful pass unless it was a short unload to the defence. Was good driving at players ill give him that though. Meekison didn't look like he understood his role at all but I would have taken Mochrie off before him.

The set up was shite, there was absolutely no pressing from the front 3 unless their goalie had the ball and it was totally wasted energy, was not effective in the slightest.

Last couple of games have felt like Goodwin saying to the fans I can change it up tactically but it doesn't work with the squad we've got.

Feels a bit like careful what you wish for this morning.