Dundee United 23/24

9 hours ago, arab_joe said:

If any Arab fancies watching a slightly cheerier video on YouTube, the wonderful chaps at the Arab Archive have been uploading videos from 2006-07 season - including this Beautiful Sunday:

Well worth a stroll down memory lane!

How good were Gomis and Buaben as a central midfield duo - absolutely dominant in the tackle, couple relentless confidence to carry the ball forward time and time again.  Made Kevin Thomson look ordinary.

Watching that game, I'm wondering why Walter Smith and Craig Levein are sitting side by side in the stand?

SmithandLevein.thumb.jpg.49c8af4e05097e9c9827e608795541a9.jpg

3 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Watching that game, I'm wondering why Walter Smith and Craig Levein are sitting side by side in the stand?

SmithandLevein.thumb.jpg.49c8af4e05097e9c9827e608795541a9.jpg

Both suspended, iirc. Beyond that, dinnae ken.

Edited by Pull My Strings

4 hours ago, Fife Arab said:

El captaino could be back tomorrow. 

Gave that a green one. Then realised we're probably rushing him back and he'll pull up injured around the twenty minute mark 

On 01/03/2024 at 04:58, arab_joe said:

If any Arab fancies watching a slightly cheerier video on YouTube, the wonderful chaps at the Arab Archive have been uploading videos from 2006-07 season - including this Beautiful Sunday:

Well worth a stroll down memory lane!

How good were Gomis and Buaben as a central midfield duo - absolutely dominant in the tackle, couple relentless confidence to carry the ball forward time and time again.  Made Kevin Thomson look ordinary.

Remember it well. Having a team with players in it that gave you hope seems a distant memory. How good was Barry Robson for us

On 01/03/2024 at 04:58, arab_joe said:

My favourite midfield duo for United, well, ever.

Can be easily argued neither were among the best midfielders we ever had, but collectively they just worked in tandem beautifully.

1 hour ago, Fife Arab said:

Hearing another meeting took place last week involving United representatives and Brentford owner. 

What's the deal with that, considering he is trying to sell Brentford at the moment?  Is this him selling up and trying to build a new club up again?

What do you guys think the plan is with Goodwin? Surely if/when you go up the board must be thinking this guy isn't the man to take us forward, he already has 1 top flight relegation on his CV and is limping to the title with a budget and squad that really ought to be blowing the rest of the league out the water.

If I was them I would have punted Goodwin after the Raith game.

Or is the plan to stick with Goodwin until October when you are sitting bottom of the prem and rush off to get Neilson back in?

1 hour ago, 101 said:

What do you guys think the plan is with Goodwin? Surely if/when you go up the board must be thinking this guy isn't the man to take us forward, he already has 1 top flight relegation on his CV and is limping to the title with a budget and squad that really ought to be blowing the rest of the league out the water.

Or is the plan to stick with Goodwin until October when you are sitting bottom of the prem and rush off to get Courts back in?

FTFY.
I think if we go up, and that's a big if, then he's probably earned himself a go at the Premiership with us.

The more immediate issue with Goodwin is that he's a bottler in the games that matter, it was the same with Aberdeen (Darvel, Hibs etc.), and in three games against Raith this season. I don't know how he can fix it, as it seems more a mentality issue than a tactical one.

It should be said though, that most seasons having 52 points after 26 games would have you at least 5 clear of the second placed side - QP were four clear with 47 points at the same point last season, so Raith deserve a lot of credit.

2 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

FTFY.
I think if we go up, and that's a big if, then he's probably earned himself a go at the Premiership with us.

The more immediate issue with Goodwin is that he's a bottler in the games that matter, it was the same with Aberdeen (Darvel, Hibs etc.), and in three games against Raith this season. I don't know how he can fix it, as it seems more a mentality issue than a tactical one.

It should be said though, that most seasons having 52 points after 26 games would have you at least 5 clear of the second placed side - QP were four clear with 47 points at the same point last season, so Raith deserve a lot of credit.

How many games in hand did Dundee have on queens at that point though considering our watery pitch 

4 hours ago, 101 said:

Or is the plan to stick with Goodwin until October when you are sitting bottom of the prem and rush off to get Neilson back in?

Fortunately, they don't have the money to sack him.

4 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

FTFY.

Unless we go on a winning run from now till the end of the season, swatting everyone aside with 3-0 wins all over the place then I'm not convinced we should keep him. 

Huge budget, biggest in the league by miles

Poor performances

Totally bottles the big games

Out the cups pronto.

Signings don't play too much of a part as 90% of managers usually bring in about the same amount of rubbish as good players. Unless it's Csaba levels of scattergun signings. Utilising the squad and in game management does matter and there's many a time I've been left not a clue what he's trying to do or achieve, others he's done well. If things are going well, hes fine, as are most managers. If he has to win a tactical battle or turn things round then he's usually left wanting.

Imo if its as close as "just" getting us up then he does not deserve a chance. The bigger problem is the bunch picking his successor though.

Thinking about it, it shows what an absolute lottery Football Management is.

Long story short, when up against teams with similar or bigger budgets and squads, will he do better or worse than he is doing now? And that's if we even get there!

I'm unconvinced. 

Edited by mishtergrolsch

4 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

FTFY.

We’ve had several opportunities to put ourselves well clear of Raith since Christmas and blown them. This weekend being a prime example. 

9 hours ago, 101 said:

He should never have been given a contract after the bottom 6 LLLLL. Never seen such a bottler as a manager.

Plan is hopefully to part ways at the end of the season whatever happens.

5 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Fortunately, they don't have the money to sack him.

Are they skint? 

Perhaps sell off Dens and Tannadice and build a San Siro style super stadium at Camperdown?