Dundee United 23/24

Agreed with the above posts.

I don't think anyone could argue that there weren't a good number of quality players in the United side last season; it was the balance, lack of grit and the goalkeeper situation that did us in.

Each of the signings we've made so far has looked to address those problems.

Goodwin has said he believes that the attacking options are looking ok, and I would agree. Fletcher, Watt, Middleton, Chalmers, Glass, Mochrie, Cudjoe, Niskanen, Fotheringham, Macleod, Meekison are all forwards or forward thinking midfielders who other teams in the division would have in their squads. That's not bad at all. Behic too if he stays. 

So for me if he's making 3 more signings in, it has to be a goalkeeper, another centre back and maybe another anchor midfielder.

On 23/06/2023 at 12:41, captainkev said:

This is the danger of being in thrall to statistics. Those numbers claim there were at least 3 keepers worse in the league than Birighitti, yet we know that simply is not the case.

There's a reason Birighitti has the highlight video from last season accompanied by circus clown music.

The post was less about defending Birighitti. I have no interest in doing so. It was rather to point out McGregor's save ratio which is poor. 

Some of the goals against Birighitti were less about shot stopping and just plain daft errors such as the Stevie May goal or the mix up with Ayina. When it comes to pure shot stopping Alan McGregor is one of the worst in the league now. But thankfully the rumours of him coming to United don't appear to be true. 

Goodwin shot down the McGregor thing. 

there was a story kicking about last week of us looking to bring Carson back. 
I’ve saw the same story since but with Dundee attached, so god knows what’s going on there 

also, I think we might be bringing in the outgoing Ayr Utd GK coach 

22 minutes ago, PartyFears2 said:

Goodwin shot down the McGregor thing. 

there was a story kicking about last week of us looking to bring Carson back. 
I’ve saw the same story since but with Dundee attached, so god knows what’s going on there 

also, I think we might be bringing in the outgoing Ayr Utd GK coach 

The Carson thing might happen, is he not very good pals with Goodwin?

3 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

The issue with Fletcher, apparently, is that Motherwell are understandably not willing to pay him what he is earning at United but we are not willing to pay the shortfall if he leaves or give him a payoff. 

Well quite. If he wants to leave then he entitled to nothing from us.

27 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

The issue with Fletcher, apparently, is that Motherwell are understandably not willing to pay him what he is earning at United but we are not willing to pay the shortfall if he leaves or give him a payoff. 

Unfortunately not true buddy, Fletcher is happy to walk away without any pay off from United. If United wanted to keep him and he’s chosen to leave which he has it’s no pay off plus I can’t imagine he will be short of £ 

35 minutes ago, Fife Arab said:

Unfortunately not true buddy, Fletcher is happy to walk away without any pay off from United. If United wanted to keep him and he’s chosen to leave which he has it’s no pay off plus I can’t imagine he will be short of £ 

Fair enough. Just going by what I had heard. I will make sure my sources are suitably disciplined ;)

Happy enough if he stays but equally if he leaves. It would only stick in the craw if we're subsidising his wages elsewhere, which it sounds like we won't be so fair enough.

He'd have been a stand-out in this division but even half his current wage is likely to be enough to get a very good replacement.

26 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Happy enough if he stays but equally if he leaves.

Hard to disagree with this tbh.

As good and effective as he can be, if we can get him off the wage bill and get a reasonable replacement in, that's a win. He's also 36, so he's not a long term option - is it worth paying him big wages in the Championship if he's possibly not going to be around after this season?

3 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

what did he expect from:

Jim Goodwin insisted he is ready to rip up the contracts of any Dundee United who don't have the stomach for next season's Championship fight.