Conference League: The Vote

When some magician manages to come up with a plan how the OF can play each other in 6 games per season (ideally two of them cup finals) then you may get a smidge of a chance of a 16 team top league. 

Jim Goodwin would still manage to get whoever he manages relegated however.

On 07/06/2023 at 09:39, GallowayBlue said:

Any genuine thoughts on how we beat the B Team suggestion for good?

I think everyone wants the best for Scottish football, but B Teams are wildly unpopular with the majority of Scottish football fans as far as I can tell. Every attempt at change hat focuses on them feels like such a waste of time and not sure why those in charge don't get the message.

We don't do boycotts particularly well in Scotland and would be impossible to organise. The social media and particularly Twitter response was amazing this time, but that probably took off because it was a yes/no with a concrete vote to rally against.

Is there anything we can do?

I’d call their bluff.

The argument for B teams in the league is young player development, with the emphasis on young Scottish talent which will apparently benefit our national team in the longer term.

So if we really must have a B team in the league system, let’s have a Scotland under 21 B team in the lower leagues. The loan rules get amended so the whole side is loaned from a variety of parent clubs for 6 months at a time (January window to summer) or even for the season. In each window parent clubs decide whether they want to recall their youngsters for their first team squads or leave them playing for the Scotland B team, if selected.  Players train 2 days with parent club and 2 days with under 21’s.  Maximum of 4 players from any parent club.

As a neutral I’d go along and watch a lower league side like Falkirk v Scotland under 21’s.  But I wouldn’t go near a premiership club’s colt team playing a senior team.

It’s not going to happen, obviously. But I’d put it up as a counter proposal whenever the OF come back with the next incarnation of ‘how can we get our Colts team in the league’.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/06/2023 at 18:22, Sparticus said:

Hopefully they leave the lowland league now and forever.

We just cant compromise sporting integrity in the leagues.

Surely even the old firm must see it isnt the way to get young players improving.The loan system is perfect for ability placement and a proper reserve league with no restrictions should be the way forward.

No doubt in my mind

Next Season, the Lowland League clubs should do the best thing for Scottish Football and Vote the B teams out of the Lowland league, give the idiots at Rangers and Celtic who are making these ludicrous decisions no options but move to a reserve league.
These young lads need a reserve league, that is without doubt the best way for them to develop, playing against and with first team players who are needing game time, coming back from injury or needing sharpness etc...  The lessons these young lags could learn from playing beside and against these first team players is just un-measurable. There is also the extra advantage of loaning the young players out, even if they are with Rangers or Celtic in a reserve league.  Means the clubs loaning these young players out can dictate which level or division is best for their youth player and loaning these young players out into teams who are in the division that they should be tested against.

I think Rangers recent statement and pulling out of the Lowland League Only Confirmed what we all knew, that it was never about youth development but about getting the Old Firm reserve teams into the Pyramid system as high as possible.

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

5 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

No doubt in my mind

Next Season, the Lowland League clubs should do the best thing for Scottish Football and Vote the B teams out of the Lowland league, give the idiots at Rangers and Celtic who are making these ludicrous decisions no options but move to a reserve league.
These young lads need a reserve league, that is without doubt the best way for them to develop, playing against and with first team players who are needing game time, coming back from injury or needing sharpness etc...  The lessons these young lags could learn from playing beside and against these first team players is just un-measurable. There is also the extra advantage of loaning the young players out, even if they are with Rangers or Celtic in a reserve league.  Means the clubs loaning these young players out can dictate which level or division is best for their youth player and loaning these young players out into teams who are in the division that they should be tested against.

I think Rangers recent statement and pulling out of the Lowland League Only Confirmed what we all knew, that it was never about youth development but about getting the Old Firm reserve teams into the Pyramid system as high as possible.

Considering the Lowland League teams don't have 50p between the lot of them, i'd expect the won't be voting anyone out the LL.