Who will be the next Celtic manager?

The next Celtic manager  

320 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Molotov said:

He grew up in Glasgow's East End, in the shadow of Parkhead, and has extended family and friends in that part of the city. 

Has spoken about his admiration of the passionate Celtic support.

IMG_2072.jpeg.22656768925fd370578f449f72d4966f.jpeg

Think he’s collecting cans on Bondi beach 

On 07/06/2023 at 16:00, Jinky67 said:

It seems Des Buckingham has entered the running. He’s the current manager of Mumbai City which of course is part of the City Group. He was pictured at Glasgow airport earlier and the suggestion is he is also being considered.

Is that Willie Haughey's mob or is his City Refrigeration ?  I can't keep up with these people's clubs.

Not paid any attention to this other than to say I was surprised Postecoglou moved on, not that he wouldn't but it's the destination that surprised me.

That said, I have been enjoying the current formula in the shit-top tabloids..

"<player who used to play for one of the OF years ago, possibly on loan, played about 5 games> thinks that <insert random manager> would be a <success/failure (*delete as appropriate)> because <insert general platitude/insult (*delete as appropriate)>"

The Scottish media truly is a wonder, as at last count I think I've seen 12 different "ex-players" all providing commentary about a club they hadn't been at in decades.

15 minutes ago, The nameless tim said:

Not read through the whole thread however not seen Ruud Van Nistelrooy's name been mentioned. Had an unbelievable season at Feeynord. Left his post there at the end of the season. I'd be keen on him getting the job.

Ruud has never managed Feyenoord, he was PSV manager until the second last match when he resigned.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

Not paid any attention to this other than to say I was surprised Postecoglou moved on, not that he wouldn't but it's the destination that surprised me.

I don’t get why the destination is wrong choice. Spurs are a huge club down south. It’s a bigger club than the majority of clubs around the world. If the guy makes a success there he could land an even bigger club on the continent.
Sure Spurs have a problem with winning trophies in last few decades but the infrastructure and fan base is there. 
I would sooner take the Spurs job than Everton, Leeds, Nottingham Forest, Derby County and other similar clubs who have won league championships in previous times. 
Only a few years ago Spurs made it through to the Champions League final. Pochettino has managed to get better paid gigs on the back of that season. 
This is an incredible opportunity for Ange Postecoglou. Other EPL clubs have approached him previously.

Good luck to the guy. He’s much better off challenging himself down there than leading Celtic to another domestic treble as there is no competition up here.

IMG_2146.thumb.jpeg.5e05ee8535e0de0e3f04e2177c71ff51.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I don’t get why the destination is wrong choice.

It's not the size of the club, it's the state it's in. A poisoned chalice of a job.

Fair play if Postecoglou thinks he can make a decent fist of things, but you just need to look at the tenure of someone like Potter at Chelsea to see the calibre of the manager is irrelevant to success with some clubs.

Trpsovsky is the latest manager to be linked with Celtic. As someone who has watched Slavia for the last 15 years, I can see why he is linked with Celtic. 

Didn't play the game to any serious level but made the move in to coaching early, managing part time while working in a bar that showed British football. He was a Liverpool fan growing up (He asked Gerrard to sign a book for him when they played Rangers in Prague and Gerrard refused) and said a couple of years ago he wanted to meet Liverpool and Celtic in Europe to experience the atmosphere at the grounds. When they got to the Semi-Finals in Europe a couple of years ago, there were reports that he had started learning English due to the interest coming in for him. 

His recruitment is very domestic, taking the top players from other clubs round about and developing, he also plays a lot of youth players. His recruitment has been good over the last few years and made Slavia a fortune in transfer fees. Soucek and Coufal at West Ham, Kral who just moved to Union Berlin, Bah of Benfica. Olayenka has just left on a Bosman and is expected to make a big move. 

He has been the most consistent manager in my time following Slavia and continually rebuilds every year after the heart is ripped out of his team every year in player sales. I can see why he would be linked with Celtic. 

Would he move? he most likely has a job for life at Slavia, Slavia are a wealthy club and he is virtually guaranteed European football every year so a move to Celtic doesn't appear to be a massive step up in managerial terms. In terms of size of club, Celtic are bigger. The most likely attraction would be the medium term goal of managing at the top end of English football and a few good years at Celtic would make that more likely for him.  

3 hours ago, Ric said:

It's not the size of the club, it's the state it's in. A poisoned chalice of a job.

Fair play if Postecoglou thinks he can make a decent fist of things, but you just need to look at the tenure of someone like Potter at Chelsea to see the calibre of the manager is irrelevant to success with some clubs.

Man Utd was a complete shit show before Fergie took charge. Arguably in a far worse state than Spurs is right now.
United was still a huge opportunity and took years to resolve. It was not without risk. He could easily have taken the job at Ibrox but he rightly turned them down. 

Will Ange get the time at Spurs? Unlikely but I’m sure he will relish the chance to take this club forward. 

I’m obviously not comparing the two managers just trying to put forward a reason why it’s a huge opportunity for Ange and one he can’t afford to turn down.

14 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Man Utd was a complete shit show before Fergie took charge. Arguably in a far worse state than Spurs is right now.
United was still a huge opportunity and took years to resolve. It was not without risk. He could easily have taken the job at Ibrox but he rightly turned them down. 

Will Ange get the time at Spurs? Unlikely but I’m sure he will relish the chance to take this club forward. 

I’m obviously not comparing the two managers just trying to put forward a reason why it’s a huge opportunity for Ange and one he can’t afford to turn down.

Were Man U not one of the top spenders in the division even when they shit under Ferguson though?

Fairly sure the early years was him just chucking money about until they got it right.

Postecoglu will get money to spend at Tottenham but Man City and Newcastle will comfortably outspend them, as will Chelsea again and probably Man U, while Arsenal and Liverpool also need overtaken. Then you have Brighton who could do anything. 

Its a battle for Tottenham to even make the top 6 these days.

17 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Man Utd was a complete shit show before Fergie took charge.

United remained a shit show after Ferguson took over. It's well known it was touch and go, but the board stood by him. Those were different times, and Tottenham are not a forgiving club.

33 minutes ago, Ric said:

United remained a shit show after Ferguson took over. It's well known it was touch and go, but the board stood by him. Those were different times, and Tottenham are not a forgiving club.

And that’s exactly what I alluded to.

The modern day mindset won’t provide the patience that was needed for Fergie but this is too good an opportunity for Ange to turn down.

39 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Were Man U not one of the top spenders in the division even when they shit under Ferguson though?

Fairly sure the early years was him just chucking money about until they got it right.

Postecoglu will get money to spend at Tottenham but Man City and Newcastle will comfortably outspend them, as will Chelsea again and probably Man U, while Arsenal and Liverpool also need overtaken. Then you have Brighton who could do anything. 

Its a battle for Tottenham to even make the top 6 these days.

He had to sort out the drinking culture at United and shipped out some huge names early doors McGrath, Whiteside, etc.

All his signings are listed here:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gallery/sir-alex-fergusons-105-manchester-3867349

most worked out but there were some notable failures either through injury or inability for players to make step up. Ralph Milne arguably the worst ever signing.

But what a success Brian McClair was in comparison.

9 minutes ago, Molotov said:

. but this is too good an opportunity for Ange to turn down.

I'm not sure many would agree with that.

What most would agree with, though, is that no matter what happens, Postecoglou will be considerably better off financially.

Just now, Ric said:

I'm not sure many would agree with that.

What most would agree with, though, is that no matter what happens, Postecoglou will be considerably better off financially.

The only opinion that matters is Ange and his family. Good luck to him. 

1 minute ago, Molotov said:

The only opinion that matters is Ange and his family. Good luck to him. 

That was never really the debate though, it was the state of Tottenham.

He seems a decent enough person, I wish him no ill will, but he won a 2 horse race while having a budget advantage over every other team.

16 minutes ago, Molotov said:

He had to sort out the drinking culture at United and shipped out some huge names early doors McGrath, Whiteside, etc.

All his signings are listed here:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gallery/sir-alex-fergusons-105-manchester-3867349

most worked out but there were some notable failures either through injury or inability for players to make step up. Ralph Milne arguably the worst ever signing.

But what a success Brian McClair was in comparison.

Well aye, but he still had the advantage of being able to outspend the league to help it come good.

Its not comparable to Postecoglu/Tottenham at all.