2023/24 New Season New Hope.

elmo-shrug.gif

Oystercatcher eggs on Dumfries pitch hit football fixtures - BBC News

An oystercatcher which has laid its eggs on a pitch in southern Scotland has hit football fixtures in the area.

The discovery was made on Friday at the North West Community Campus in Dumfries, which hosts a number of different sides.

Threave Rovers Under-20s were due to play East Kilbride Thistle at the ground on Friday night, but that game had to be postponed. Lochmaben FC's Saturday fixture against Creetown FC in the Cree Lodge Cup and Queen of the South Ladies' League One match versus Airdrie Ladies on Sunday were both due to be played on the pitch, but could also be affected.

Threave Rovers confirmed the unusual reason for the game cancellation on their Facebook page. It said Dumfries and Galloway Council had been left with "no option" but to close the facility ahead of the weekend's football fixtures.

The club said the Scottish SPCA was dealing with the situation but it could take up to 28 days to be sorted.

7 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Did you look at the Demolition Cup final report on this Saturday’s game between the Sosfl rep and Bo'ness Athletic which appears strangely enough on the Wosfl website fixture list.

Now within the lifetime of the average Wosfl Blazer they've managed to go from doon the pit, whippets and real bread to a report spookily written by AI.

Read the report and tell me that ain't Chat GPT.

Just looked at it; what in God's green earth is it on about.  Nithsdale played EK in the SRCC back in Aug/Sept. Presume SBA met BA in same comp

Do love reading stuff generated from an AI program. Can be total gibberish but funny.

Haven't read that info thing before, you better no have got me hooked on them.

3 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Well there we have it.

Title Evening has been set for next week; Wed 8th May @ Castle Cary Park, Creetown. 1930 kick off.

More details to follow, hope to see you all there.

And Star has a cup final two days later. What's wrong with the Monday or even Tuesday nights as neither side has a game on the Saturday? 

4 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Well there we have it.

Title Evening has been set for next week; Wed 8th May @ Castle Cary Park, Creetown. 1930 kick off.

More details to follow, hope to see you all there.

Anybody that was there at the Thursday night game and stupid enough to crawl up to there boss to get a day's holiday to go to the saturday game should get in for free.

1 hour ago, Ross O'Neri said:

And Star has a cup final two days later. What's wrong with the Monday or even Tuesday nights as neither side has a game on the Saturday? 

TBF i was expecting it to be tuesday, the pitch would probably need work done after the rodeo and the line dancing at the weekend.

4 hours ago, Ross O'Neri said:

Surprised too at the date chosen.

Srar at Wigtown on Wed 1st, then nothing till Wed 8th followed by Fri 10th and Mon 13th.

Creetown not playing till Wed 8th, then Sat 11th and Mon 13th.

Was half expecting Sat 4th. Maybe Star requested a break, would make sense after the last few weeks they have had with games.

3 hours ago, Sermani said:

Anybody that was there at the Thursday night game and stupid enough to crawl up to there boss to get a day's holiday to go to the saturday game should get in for free.

You deserve a complimentary ticket; having the energy and strength of character to turn up on the Saturday after the emotional trauma of Thursday night.

You are a Star Superfan. 👏👏👏

19 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Surprised too at the date chosen.

Srar at Wigtown on Wed 1st, then nothing till Wed 8th followed by Fri 10th and Mon 13th.

Creetown not playing till Wed 8th, then Sat 11th and Mon 13th.

Was half expecting Sat 4th. Maybe Star requested a break, would make sense after the last few weeks they have had with games.

Saturday the 4th seems logical but it is the country and western festival at Creetown that weekend, last time i went past when it was on there was a big marquee on the pitch. There were even cowboys whipping each other on the main street. Dolly Parton is bigger than the SOSFL. 

https://creetowncountryceilidh.co.uk/ being a Central Belt boy see what you have missed out on

Edited by Sermani

17 minutes ago, Sermani said:

Saturday the 4th seems logical but it is the country and western festival at Creetown that weekend, last time i went past when it was on there was a big marquee on the pitch. There were even cowboys whipping each other on the main street. Dolly Parton is bigger than the SOSFL. 

https://creetowncountryceilidh.co.uk/ being a Central Belt boy see what you have missed out on

'Whipping each other on the main street'; always heard stories of you country folk and your weird traditions. Witnessed a few things since moving to the Stewartry, still too traumatised to talk or even think about them.

I've seen the ceilidh thing advertised before, but had no idea about the western influence though.

I'll be giving it a miss; have see  the Wicker Man and Get Out. They ain't movies, they are public info warnings for us city folk. 🤠

2 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

'Whipping each other on the main street'; always heard stories of you country folk and your weird traditions. Witnessed a few things since moving to the Stewartry, still too traumatised to talk or even think about them.

I've seen the ceilidh thing advertised before, but had no idea about the western influence though.

I'll be giving it a miss; have see  the Wicker Man and Get Out. They ain't movies, they are public info warnings for us city folk. 🤠

It was a country and western festival in early september for years but think it stopped and now seems to be a Ceilidh earlier in the year. Strangely enough the whipping was outside the Ellangown where scenes from the Wickerman were filmed.

Surely you have been to an Agricultural Show?  that will be an eye opener for a city boy

2 hours ago, Sermani said:

It was a country and western festival in early september for years but think it stopped and now seems to be a Ceilidh earlier in the year. Strangely enough the whipping was outside the Ellangown where scenes from the Wickerman were filmed.

Surely you have been to an Agricultural Show?  that will be an eye opener for a city boy

Been to Stewartry a few times at Rugby Club. Mainly full of drunk farmers, all dressed funnily enough like farmers. Scary and funny at the same time.

Now I think about it; was like being in a horror movie. One of they strangers in a scary village type of film.

6 hours ago, info said:

Glad to see you love living in the country and like the residents so much!!!

The countryside is a lovely, wonderful contrast for this schemie boy.

I like to think I'm not a 'white settler', marrying a Stewartry girl all those years ago. Always intended retiring down here so she could be close to her family.

My clan are that numerous nobody has noticed I've not been around since pre-covid days. 

Either that or they're just relieved I've fecked off and don't annoy them anymore. 😁😁😁

Back from filling up at Creetown Services. I don't think there is any way there could be a football game there tomorrow, what with the bouncy castles et al.

Haven't seen them many cowboy hats in person since one Friday night staggering down the Paisley Road at the wrong time to meet head on the hordes exiting the Grand Ole Oprey.

On 30/04/2024 at 22:09, An Absolute Imposter said:

Been to Stewartry a few times at Rugby Club. Mainly full of drunk farmers, all dressed funnily enough like farmers. Scary and funny at the same time.

Now I think about it; was like being in a horror movie. One of they strangers in a scary village type of film.

They still burning witches down there?

6 hours ago, PossilYM said:

They still burning witches down there?

No burnt any accused witches since the late 17th century; RIP Elspeth McKewan, Balmaclellan. Still having burnings up north into the 18th century; RIP Janet Horne of Dornich.

According to a docu-film I've seen; it's wee Christian Virgins that get the burning doon here. Last actual human burning according to the documentary was in 1973, a Mr.Howie I understand from whence he came there was no info from the documentary, just talk about the Mainland.

Although, interestingly the locals celebrated this custom of a burning until 2015 and was attended by local and visiting 'pagans'. There was music and dancing and a plethora of mind altering concoctions as is the way with these pagan rituals.

There is still a 'Wicker Man', in a sorry state to be honest, at the site atop the High Brae out of Dundrennan.

Another historical note Dundrennan Abbey, needing a bit of work done, is the last recorded habitat of one Queen Mary before her I'll advised wee trip to visit cousin Elizabeth I, on 15 May 1568.

It's always these wee quiet backwaters where all the shenanigans take place.

1 hour ago, GNU_Linux said:

image.png.476372b30763ae5fd08d7065210fcb88.png

image.png.f533ac2e020db0e8e1141ef7e7f351b2.png

Had the league games been more aligned, that could have made for an epic 4/5 way battle for the title, but still am incredible end with a winner takes all.