2023/24 New Season New Hope.

Star returning home after their secondment to LL comes to an end.

Braves 2nd XI return North so a completely local league. 

6 clubs entering the Big Scottish.

A lot to look further to in our wee corner.

Let's keep the SOS in the limelight with plenty of posts and discussion.

IMG_20230605_110700.jpg

50 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

where are Le CB Edusport playing in 23-24 or has the French Connection hit the buffers?

The rumour earlier was they were looking to start a 20s development team. Not heard anything other than that. Would suggest the french boys team wont be around this coming season. Still retained their South Counties FA membership though.

Maybe @Pyramid Watcher can give an update.

6 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

The rumour earlier was they were looking to start a 20s development team. Not heard anything other than that. Would suggest the french boys team wont be around this coming season. Still retained their South Counties FA membership though.

Maybe @Pyramid Watcher can give an update.

I believe that side of things may have hit the buffers, from what I believe there are major problems getting the players across, caused by Brexit. The 1st team will still be in the LL.

16 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

I believe that side of things may have hit the buffers, from what I believe there are major problems getting the players across, caused by Brexit. The 1st team will still be in the LL.

Was the 20s development just a rumour my friend?

Looking at the different clubs media output, the experiment we seen at one or two last season of bringing in outsiders from the central belt has been ditched.

Without being in the know a number of signings from county amateur and youth sides. The one that sticks out is Galloway Thistle's successful u17 boys. A number being signed up by both Newton Stewart and Wigtown & Bladnoch.

Over to locals with more knowledge than I.

Edited by HorseyGhirl

28 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Was the 20s development just a rumour my friend?

From past experience the 20’s were made up of mostly French lads, so would face similar problems. I should say I haven’t heard anything new on the 20’s up to now.

Edusport have taken over a club in the Maltese pyramid structure instead of their team in the south, Swieqi United now known as Swieqi Braves in the 2nd tier after winning the 3rd tier league this season.

Less outsiders now, more community focused for south clubs. Clubs don’t have the money that gets chucked around the West. 

3 hours ago, Jamie92 said:

Edusport have taken over a club in the Maltese pyramid structure instead of their team in the south, Swieqi United now known as Swieqi Braves in the 2nd tier after winning the 3rd tier league this season.

Less outsiders now, more community focused for south clubs. Clubs don’t have the money that gets chucked around the West. 

I have no idea if this is parody. That is where we are in Scottish football 😅

On 11/06/2023 at 11:47, HorseyGhirl said:

Looking at the different clubs media output, the experiment we seen at one or two last season of bringing in outsiders from the central belt has been ditched.

Without being in the know a number of signings from county amateur and youth sides. The one that sticks out is Galloway Thistle's successful u17 boys. A number being signed up by both Newton Stewart and Wigtown & Bladnoch.

Over to locals with more knowledge than I.

All 8 of Thistles title winning U17 squad who wouldn’t have been eligible for next season have been promoted into the South's senior ranks ( 3 at Newton and 5 at Wigtown ). It’s fantastic to give these promising lads that opportunity and has been our philosophy at Newton for a number of years now.

Living within your means is vital at our level and we firmly believe that as each season passes these youngsters gel together and the Team spirit within the playing squad is evident for all to see 👌🏻. Some have the finances to take different routes but it isn’t always a guarantee of success so we’ll gladly continue as we have done in recent times.

2 hours ago, AML67 said:

All 8 of Thistles title winning U17 squad who wouldn’t have been eligible for next season have been promoted into the South's senior ranks ( 3 at Newton and 5 at Wigtown ). It’s fantastic to give these promising lads that opportunity and has been our philosophy at Newton for a number of years now.

Living within your means is vital at our level and we firmly believe that as each season passes these youngsters gel together and the Team spirit within the playing squad is evident for all to see 👌🏻. Some have the finances to take different routes but it isn’t always a guarantee of success so we’ll gladly continue as we have done in recent times.

Come on now! Stop trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes! Finances are playing a big part. Newton and especially Creetown are ploughing a bit of money into signings this coming season. It’s happening every where in the league Dalbeattie splashing cash, Lochar Thistle splashing cash, Abbey Vale splashing cash. 

The Warwick guy at Dalbeattie sounds as though he likes the sound of his own voice?? is it him who is doing the Dalbeattie Facebook on social media now? His views on signings are a bit OTT imo. 

On 19/06/2023 at 20:21, Aguerooooo said:

Come on now! Stop trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes! Finances are playing a big part. Newton and especially Creetown are ploughing a bit of money into signings this coming season. It’s happening every where in the league Dalbeattie splashing cash, Lochar Thistle splashing cash, Abbey Vale splashing cash. 

The Warwick guy at Dalbeattie sounds as though he likes the sound of his own voice?? is it him who is doing the Dalbeattie Facebook on social media now? His views on signings are a bit OTT imo. 

I highly doubt Newton and Wigtown have used finances to get thistle lads. Creetown have spent money as they did last season, they were fed up of finishing lower part of the table 2 seasons ago so wanted to change that in which they have. 

I doubt Lochar and Abbey vale have spent none or not much money. They have gone by the “it costs nothing to play for our club”. Dalbeattie on the other hand most probably. Know a few have gone there for the money 💰 Gretna and Threave also spending the cash in the region. 

1 hour ago, Jamie92 said:

I highly doubt Newton and Wigtown have used finances to get thistle lads. Creetown have spent money as they did last season, they were fed up of finishing lower part of the table 2 seasons ago so wanted to change that in which they have. 

I doubt Lochar and Abbey vale have spent none or not much money. They have gone by the “it costs nothing to play for our club”. Dalbeattie on the other hand most probably. Know a few have gone there for the money 💰 Gretna and Threave also spending the cash in the region. 

Threave have a slightly different outlook in that they are aiming to get promotion to West Div2.

Finishing 3rd in the 'boys club' league was probably a shock to them but also a good indicator of what is required to succeed in the West Leagues.

Having said that; West Forums for any Threave pish. 😉😉😉

Clubs throwing "big money" around for SoS level players is suicide. Clubs cost enough to run!

Do we have a problem now where even amateur players won't play unless they are being paid?

The same is happening in the North Caley League and it's madness... as for the actual amateur leagues, they're even worse!

If a player at that level came along asking for a match fee, they should be getting laughed out the place

Are we?  First I've heard 😂

• 2 weeks later...

Not 100% sure where you’re getting this info from but I can assure you there’s not a lot of cash to Spanish in your words ! 

Opening Day Fixtures

SATURDAY 29 JULY 2023

SOUTH OF SCOTLAND LEAGUE

14:00
Abbey Vale
vs
                 Dalbeattie Star
Lochar Thistle
vs
          St Cuthbert Wanderers
Lochmaben
vs
            Nithsdale Wanderers
Mid Annandale
vs
                    Creetown
Newton Stewart
vs
                    Stranraer
Wigtown & Bladnoch
vs
               Upper Annandale

Just now, HorseyGhirl said:
Opening Day Fixtures

SATURDAY 29 JULY 2023

SOUTH OF SCOTLAND LEAGUE

Abbey Vale
vs
                 Dalbeattie Star
Lochar Thistle
vs
          St Cuthbert Wanderers
Lochmaben
vs
            Nithsdale Wanderers
Mid Annandale
vs
                    Creetown
Newton Stewart
vs
                    Stranraer
Wigtown & Bladnoch
vs
               Upper Annandale

start the season of as you mean to go 1st moan

my nearest game is Newton Stewart 40mins away.