Clyde Season 23/24

21 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Said the other night but still can’t get my head round changing to a 433 system the other night. 

Rennie needs someone up there with him, and we stuck Forbes on the right of the 3 and moved Mulvanny left when he’s clearly better at centre forward. 

Mclean spoke at the owners meeting about players just want simple instruction but changing formation 3 games in doesn’t say that to me. 

We played exactly the same system as against Cove when we actually did okay for long spells. 

Changing the players didn't work though as Cameron is by far the best at playing off Rennie, whilst we missed Scullion and for some reason stuck Mulvanny out there.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It’s an absolutely dreadful setup for a club like Clyde and it is verging on laughing stock material the longer it goes on. Why didn’t they just keep Duffy as manager? He’s quite clearly making all the signings and he’s now in the dugout? McLean is clearly just being used as a pawn for the Clyde board to make it out like they bagged an underperforming manager and moved him upstairs when in reality old dinosaur Duffy is still quite clearly in charge and making the signings.

What contacts does Jim Duffy have? The guy who organises the exit trials? Players he’s managed before? Young managers don’t need some old duffer who the game has left behind giving them guidance and signing players for them.

Why didn’t they just keep Duffy as manager?  Simply because they were afraid of the reaction if they did...and so the pathetic attempt to disguise it was spun to the support. 

4 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It’s an absolutely dreadful setup for a club like Clyde and it is verging on laughing stock material the longer it goes on. Why didn’t they just keep Duffy as manager? He’s quite clearly making all the signings and he’s now in the dugout? McLean is clearly just being used as a pawn for the Clyde board to make it out like they bagged an underperforming manager and moved him upstairs when in reality old dinosaur Duffy is still quite clearly in charge and making the signings.

What contacts does Jim Duffy have? The guy who organises the exit trials? Players he’s managed before? Young managers don’t need some old duffer who the game has left behind giving them guidance and signing players for them.

All valid criticism of Jim Duffy and the way the board have or allowed the role to be implemented, none of this is criticism of the role existing in the first place as laid out above. 

Having the wrong person in the role of DOF whilst it being implemented in a way that is way out the norm of a DOF doesn’t mean that role should t exist.

As I covered in a situation where you have a rookie coach, a board that don’t want to focus on football related matters whilst wanting to put in a structure to help the club progress a DOF makes sense 

Edited by Ocelot1877

46 minutes ago, Ocelot1877 said:

All valid criticism of Jim Duffy and the way the board have or allowed the role to be implemented, none of this is criticism of the role existing in the first place as laid out above. 

Having the wrong person in the role of DOF whilst it being implemented in a way that is way out the norm of a DOF doesn’t mean that role should t exist.

As I covered in a situation where you have a rookie coach, a board that don’t want to focus on football related matters whilst wanting to put in a structure to help the club progress a DOF makes sense 

Or you could just appoint a manager that is able to do the job himself? Having a DOF means you have to get two appointments right (getting one right is hard enough), it costs more and I’m not entirely sure what a DOF at this level would do that a competent manager couldn’t do himself hence why you don’t see it very often at this level.

At big clubs when you are dealing with multi million pound contracts, extensive negotiations and a world wide scouting network it’s useful. When you are signing part-timers from the exit trials and already have a manager who can deal with it himself it’s utterly pointless.

11 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Or you could just appoint a manager that is able to do the job himself? Having a DOF means you have to get two appointments right (getting one right is hard enough), it costs more and I’m not entirely sure what a DOF at this level would do that a competent manager couldn’t do himself hence why you don’t see it very often at this level.

At big clubs when you are dealing with multi million pound contracts, extensive negotiations and a world wide scouting network it’s useful. When you are signing part-timers from the exit trials and already have a manager who can deal with it himself it’s utterly pointless.

It sounds to me that the Clyde Board was less than confident in McLean's abilities, to the extent that they created an overseer role for Duffy.

Based on his time at Dumbarton, JD has plenty of experience but his best days as a Manager are long gone.  And the fact is that as long as he's in the Clyde dugout Brian McLean will never have the chance to show whether he can manage or not.  It's the worst of both worlds IMO.

5 hours ago, David W said:

We played exactly the same system as against Cove when we actually did okay for long spells. 

Changing the players didn't work though as Cameron is by far the best at playing off Rennie, whilst we missed Scullion and for some reason stuck Mulvanny out there.

Your flogging a dead horse Rennie isn’t good enough if you didn’t already know

43 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

You also don’t often at this level of football have a board that don’t want/feel like they can’t focus on the football department of the club.

Combine that with the fact that we are looking to have more stability on that side of things with a robust structure to see us be promoted again and compete at league 1,  after what happened with Danny Lennon and the recruitment team debacle then this was the outcome. 

Even at part time level managers tend to work full time in that role on being a manager, couple that with asking them to run an entire football department at a board level is a huge almost impossible task. Who could really achieve that? Clyde aren’t an attractive club to be at and especially not after our relegation who could have taken that on. Also anyone who did take it on and succeed and took us back up the league may not have been around for long and succession plans would need to be made. 

I appreciate the points you are making but feel like you are hyper focused on one part of the picture. Unfortunately you can’t use terms like “ typically” and “Usually” at Clyde Atm 

13 minutes ago, Ocelot1877 said:

You also don’t often at this level of football have a board that don’t want/feel like they can’t focus on the football department of the club.

Combine that with the fact that we are looking to have more stability on that side of things with a robust structure to see us be promoted again and compete at league 1,  after what happened with Danny Lennon and the recruitment team debacle then this was the outcome. 

Even at part time level managers tend to work full time in that role on being a manager, couple that with asking them to run an entire football department at a board level is a huge almost impossible task. Who could really achieve that? Clyde aren’t an attractive club to be at and especially not after our relegation who could have taken that on. Also anyone who did take it on and succeed and took us back up the league may not have been around for long and succession plans would need to be made. 

I appreciate the points you are making but feel like you are hyper focused on one part of the picture. Unfortunately you can’t use terms like “ typically” and “Usually” at Clyde Atm 

So what exactly is Jim Duffy doing that a competent management team couldn’t? 

19 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

So what exactly is Jim Duffy doing that a competent management team couldn’t? 

Behind the the scenes in his role as the strategic head of our whole football department I couldn’t tell as I haven’t been privy to that this early in his tenure

In terms of his front facing role I.e. signing players, and barking orders in a dugout ( where he isn’t meant to be) then he isn’t doing anything different. 

Iv already addressed a few times that I’m not defending Duffy or the way he has acted in his role. I’m defending the need for someone in the role after liquidating 2 football department roles. A DOF is meant to facilitate the managers vision through recruitment and creating an environment they can achiever their vision. What’s happening at Clyde isn’t what a DOF is meant to do. 

I don’t understand why we are going round in circles with this, the post you originally replied to was about reasons why we would need a DOF in the first place and all you have have responded with is “ Aye but Duffy bad”. 

Edited by Ocelot1877

3 minutes ago, Ocelot1877 said:

Behind the the scenes in his role as the strategic head of our whole football department I couldn’t tell as I haven’t been privy to that this early in his tenure

In terms of his front facing role I.e. signing players, and barking orders in a dugout ( where he isn’t meant to be) then he isn’t doing anything different. 

Iv already addressed a few times that I’m not defending Duffy or the way he has acted in his role. I’m defending the need for the role after liquidating 2 football department roles alongside other key issues.

I don’t understand why we are going round in circles with this, the post you originally replied to was about reasons why we would need a DOF in the first place and all you have have responded with is “ Aye but Duffy bad”. 

You have yet to state a single thing he actually does that any other manager at this level manages to do themselves without the need for a director of football.

Well no I’ve not actually, I’ve responded numerous times telling you why a director of football at this level isn’t needed and all you’re saying is “he runs our whole football department” whatever the hell that even means. You’re staunchly defending this role without being able to tell folk what extra jobs Duffy is actually doing. 

22 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

You have yet to state a single thing he actually does that any other manager at this level manages to do themselves without the need for a director of football.

Well no I’ve not actually, I’ve responded numerous times telling you why a director of football at this level isn’t needed and all you’re saying is “he runs our whole football department” whatever the hell that even means. You’re staunchly defending this role without being able to tell folk what extra jobs Duffy is actually doing. 

You responded by saying “ just appoint a manager that can do it all himself” in response to the club conducting a review in which the outcome was to remove the roles of head of football ops, head of recruitment and manager to move to a DOF/Head Coach operation,  in which the DOF has been given delegated authority from the board to work with the head coach and also our technical team and all our medical staff in order to run our whole football branch. Jobs that the board used to do. 

Not knowing who was available or even applied for the job it’s easy to say “ aye just do this. 

The way this should have been implemented was McLean was given full run of the team with help from Duffy/whoever is in the role to help realise his vision considering McLean is a rookie coach with Duffy/whoever helping with recruitment and giving advice. Duffy/whoever would then take charge of the behind the scenes with the football department fulfilling the roles the board themselves had delegated. This hasn’t happened and it’s been a horror show to watch. It doesn’t mean with the right appointment the set up couldn’t have worked. It also could have provided some continuity in the boards plan for us to be eventually be competitive in league 1. If our manager leaves our DOF can help bed in the new boss etc 

Edited by Ocelot1877

1 minute ago, Scott-Replay said:

Did we not bin our youth team a lot longer ago than the 19-20 season?

There was the "Clyde" team that had the likes of Luke McNiven, that we ended up signing players from because of our pointless excursion into the Glasgow Cup. 

The one that basically came over from East Stirlingshire and played under our name, without being actually part of the club.

Another signing it’s impossible to be excited with. Rennie still the only forward with any kind of meaningful experience. A worrying lack of know how and leadership throughout the whole team. Why has it taken us this long to sign him if he scored in pre-season, that’s not a great sign either.

3 minutes ago, David W said:

There was the "Clyde" team that had the likes of Luke McNiven, that we ended up signing players from because of our pointless excursion into the Glasgow Cup. 

The one that basically came over from East Stirlingshire and played under our name, without being actually part of the club.

Ah, I see. Thanks David.

Whilst I’m absolutely clutching at straws here (the signings this Summer have done that to me), a quick look online seems to show that Malcolm did at least score a reasonable number of goals last season, albeit at a pretty poor standard.

The signings this summer have been erratic at best. Peter Grant looked dodgy last season before we shipped him out, now he’s back on a 2 YEAR deal and looking dodgy as ever. The new RB has me longing for the return of Ross Lyon as he’s prime Cafu in comparison. Forbes at least has some experience but flies in the face of McLeans ‘fittest team in the league’ vision. We are told by the board we have a budget to compete for promotion yet are plucking guys from Glasgow Uni, Rossvale and various academies. Then we’ve got Cuddihy and Conor Scullion who both appear to be injured after 2 games, hopefully nothing serious. The whole thing is a disjointed shambles and then you’ve McLean trying to make something out of it with Duffy hanging over his shoulder. What a club!