Clyde Season 23/24

27 minutes ago, David W said:

Duffy should never have been brought back in November, or kept on at the end of last season.

He had one good season and was probably a bit unlucky not to get us promoted. However, he had a freakish amount of luck in terms of injuries during 13-14. We basically were able to stick the same 12 or 13 players out every week. 

I don't think it's a totally wild idea to highlight injuries though. I think we possibly beat Annan with something approaching a full strength team. We played okay against Spartans but by halftime the following week had three more players injured. 

It's possible for Duffy to have been a terrible appointment and for that to have been compounded by some bad luck. Add those together and you get rubbish like Wednesday.

I can't wait to see what our next step is. McLean will definitely need help, and we definitely need players. 

He can blame injuries but Duffy's signed a lot of these players. It shouldn't be any surprise when players like Cuddihy, Hynes, P. Grant, Lyons and Rennie are injured frequently. Carswell seems to have had issues this season and Forbes is clearly not got the highest level of fitness.

Good riddance to Duffy. I'll give McLean more time because it was hard to say what was his fault and what was Duffy's fault in the previous set-up. But now he needs to start getting some results, or at the very least performances. If we've got some of this mysterious funding then use it to bring in 2 or more good players that will work in whatever system he wants and then we can see what kind of manager he is and judge him off it.

1 hour ago, David W said:

Duffy should never have been brought back in November, or kept on at the end of last season.

He had one good season and was probably a bit unlucky not to get us promoted. However, he had a freakish amount of luck in terms of injuries during 13-14. We basically were able to stick the same 12 or 13 players out every week. 

I don't think it's a totally wild idea to highlight injuries though. I think we possibly beat Annan with something approaching a full strength team. We played okay against Spartans but by halftime the following week had three more players injured. 

It's possible for Duffy to have been a terrible appointment and for that to have been compounded by some bad luck. Add those together and you get rubbish like Wednesday.

I can't wait to see what our next step is. McLean will definitely need help, and we definitely need players. 

Anyone got Ian McCall's number?

1 hour ago, haufdaft said:

It'll be interesting to see if McLean is much more vocal on the touchline now that Duffy has gone.

Out of interest can any of the brave souls who went to Livi game think he was any more animated in that game when Duffy wasn’t there?

Great that Duffy has gone. However, the current situation is that we have a coach who is clearly out of his depth and needs help and we have a squad who would struggle to compete in the Lowland League. 
We now have 2 weeks to appoint an experienced and competent manager/coach (to replace or assist McLean) and put together a squad capable of competing. That’s a big ask and the Board needs to be prepared to throw some money at it if it’s to happen. There is no alternative as the current squad will get us relegated to the Lowland League. 

Good to see Duffy away.  

Don’t know what injuries had to do with him as DoF role as surely issue for head coach

Anyway, it still doesn’t solve the existing problem

1. Uncompetitive squad

2. Mannequin head coach

We don’t have much time to judge McLean and would give him the next 3 games to see what he can do in terms of performance and results.  Personally from what I have seen so far don’t think he has what is needed.

If no significant improvement he needs to be moved on and replaced by someone experienced (haven’t a clue who - that is the BoDs job)

At least good to see the BoD took some action which could have easily been avoided in the first place

3 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Good to see Duffy away.  

Don’t know what injuries had to do with him as DoF role as surely issue for head coach

1. Uncompetitive squad

2. Mannequin head coach

We don’t have much time to judge McLean and would give him the next 3 games to see what he can do in terms of performance and results.  Personally from what I have seen so far don’t think he has what is needed.

If no significant improvement he needs to be moved on and replaced by someone experienced (haven’t a clue who - that is the BoDs job)

At least good to see the BoD took some action which could have easily been avoided in the first place

Brian McLean is not the answer.He needs to go but the Clyde way is for it to get worse and when we get to the point of no return we will sack him and we will find ourselves in the lowland league.This is a certainty.

Unless results improve significantly by the end of September then McLean will be away too.. no disrespect to the man because he comes across as decent etc, but staying in this league is priority no 1. There are other jobs no doubt he could do to build his reputation in the lower leagues. Clyde just can’t afford this luxury. 

5 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Good to see Duffy away.  

1. Uncompetitive squad

2. Mannequin head coach

How can you give the BOD any credit whatsoever for this. Last week the Chairman was telling us how great it was that they had someone of Duffy's knowledge and experience because the Board had none....telling us that Duffy would take us to the Championship now the money was coming in.

The Board are wholly culpable for this shit show and the previous shit show last season and we are now left with no-one at the Club capable of spending the new found money in the remaining 2 weeks of the transfer window.

And so let's hope someone is appointed over McClean and they have contacts in the game and bring 6 at least competent footballers in during the loan window in September, or we really are done.

5 hours ago, Bob731 said:

Unless results improve significantly by the end of September then McLean will be away too.. no disrespect to the man because he comes across as decent etc, but staying in this league is priority no 1. There are other jobs no doubt he could do to build his reputation in the lower leagues. Clyde just can’t afford this luxury. 

Decent as a person? Danny was one of the most decent people I ever met. It's not decent we need.....it's competent and ambitious and bloody hard working with contacts in the game and an ability to assess a game in real time and make the necessary changes during a game to win football matches.

FWIW I think the DoF and head coach format could be good for Clyde, particularly if we are successful with crown point.  I don't think it came about the right way and was just a way to keep JD in a job. I never saw much from McLean as a player or captain to inspire confidence he will make a decent head coach but we will see, it's certainly sink or swim time for him.  Best he can do with the current squad is get a bit of fight out of them, I'm not holding my breath for results until the squad is bolstered.  As above my concern is we have a good chunk of budget but no-one to spend the money.  I assume targets have been identified and we will continue to go after them. Problem is these will be JD's targets.

5 hours ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

Decent as a person? Danny was one of the most decent people I ever met. It's not decent we need.....it's competent and ambitious and bloody hard working with contacts in the game and an ability to assess a game in real time and make the necessary changes during a game to win football matches.

I just hope it's not Peter Grant