Clyde Season 23/24

35 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

Best of luck to those emptied, all tried (even Forbes, though his cement mixer level of mobility belied that at times) and it's not their fault that someone deemed them good enough to be at the club. 

A spot on comment.  We have done these guys no favours - sorry, Duffy and McLean have done these guys no favours, signing them when they are clearly not good enough.  What will be being moved on do to their confidence, or their self-esteem?   Duffy has messed up individuals, as well as our club.  

5 minutes ago, bullyweehutch said:

Absolutely f**k Jim Duffy and Gordon Thompson! Those two fucking imposters have destroyed our club. Its finished 

It’s not finished it will be playing against Cowdenbeath  Berwick and Albion rovers next season thanks to Gordon Thomson our beloved chairman.

24 minutes ago, Clyde85 said:

I’ve every faith that McCall and Maitland have targets identified and possibly even signed just waiting to announce them.

They both sound calm and confident about our January business, which is somewhat reassuring. It's hard not to still be really anxious in spite of that, though, given the areas in which we are weakest and how hard it can be to fill them at the best of times - never mind in January, when you're rooted to the bottom of the pile. I'd feel better if two of our first three signings weren't centre backs, I think, but that's just how the chips have fallen. In saying that, they'll both help with our build-up from the back and allow us to defend five yards higher, so that'll be handy.

Actually being able to defend would be good as well. Given Craig is away, I’m hoping a left back is lined up. 

At least the three signed will have had a few weeks training with the squad and won’t be totally new for what is a big game next week. 

2 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

They both sound calm and confident about our January business, which is somewhat reassuring. It's hard not to still be really anxious in spite of that, though, given the areas in which we are weakest and how hard it can be to fill them at the best of times - never mind in January, when you're rooted to the bottom of the pile. I'd feel better if two of our first three signings weren't centre backs, I think, but that's just how the chips have fallen. In saying that, they'll both help with our build-up from the back and allow us to defend five yards higher, so that'll be handy.

Agree with that last bit.  A lot of the problems we have had at times has been the consistently poor distribution from the back, either aimless hoofs up the park or hospital passes.  The lack of a consistent, steady midfield hasn't helped in truth, but if we can improve the distribution and hopefully steady up the defence and cut out some of the daft goal concessions, it will provide a platform for us to build.  We've shown (especially in recent games) we can score goals, but too often we've been miles off it defensively.

Well, at least that's out the way and there's hope to cling onto now with the new signings. Clyde have quite comfortably earned 10th so far, but I've not seen another team in this league playing at an unobtainable level. Although, I'm very aware that this could be because Clyde give away so many soft goals,  that teams don't need to get out of second gear to win. The 4-0s against Dumbarton and East Fife being particularly strong examples. 

Elgin have won 3 of their last 4 home games, The Spartans 3 wins in a row, and Stenhousemuir with 9 in a row - this is a league that with organisation and semi-capable players teams can go on a run. I don't think it is beyond the realms of possibility that McCall gets Clyde on a run with players that can achieve the basic skills of the game. I do worry there's just such a psychological aspect hanging over the club that's just used to getting pumped all the time. 

3 hours ago, PTR said:

I do worry there's just such a psychological aspect hanging over the club that's just used to getting pumped all the time. 

The manager isn't used to getting pumped all the time though and neither (hopefully!) will the majority of the squad come the end of the January window. 

New year, new Clyde.

9 hours ago, RutherGlen said:

The manager isn't used to getting pumped all the time though and neither (hopefully!) will the majority of the squad come the end of the January window. 

New year, new Clyde.

2024 the year Clyde get relegated to the lowland league. Happy new year Gordon Thomson 

16 hours ago, RutherGlen said:

New year, new Clyde.

More than happy to get on board with this.

Happy New Year and best of luck for 2024. Clyde have given Scottish football so much over the years and it is very sad to see the club struggling. Upwards in onwards I hope!

looking at the table all is not lost but team 9 looks like being on target to get between 30-33 points by the end of the season.

Clyde really need to hit the ground running after the break, which is not easy with new players who might need time to gel.  

To be safe somewhere between 21-24 points are needed as a minimum off 19 remaining games. Luckily 3 of those games are against Elgin with one the last game of the season! An absolute minimum of 6 and probably 7 points are needed from those games.

At last you seem to have guys who are passionate and level headed. I just hope they can turn it round.

Every fan knew before the season kicked off we would be in trouble with a squad full of guys with neither experience nor ability.

Blame lies entirely with an incompetent board and Jim Duffy who had completely lost the plot with his signings.  We are putting things right but have little to no leeway to bed in whoever we are able to sign given our precarious situation.

I believe we will come through, but only because there is enough dross in this league to make this possible.

Regarding Duffy, a couple of weeks after we punted him he was on the radio giving Steve Clark tips on how to put together a squad for the Euros. You honestly couldn’t make that up. 🤣

I’ve never seen such a bunch of shite hawks cobbled together in my life as this shower Duffy served up. An utter clown of a man who should be laughed out of town every time he opens his mouth.

1 hour ago, Clyde_1977 said:

I remember him on off the ball saying Clyde wanted to go in a different direction.

Yeah, we actually wanted to win games of football. 

Up?