Clyde Season 23/24

30 minutes ago, David W said:

There's always going to be a demand for left backs and Swift saw the best of him last season. For all the criticism Duffy takes, Craig would have benefitted from him staying on.

I daresay he'll reappear in the SPFL at some point.

He's incapable of defending. Surely that's a prerequisite for a fullback!

Not sure we will see him back in the SPFL anytime soon unless he learns that art.

1 hour ago, macclyde+ said:

He's incapable of defending. Surely that's a prerequisite for a fullback!

Not sure we will see him back in the SPFL anytime soon unless he learns that art.

Yeah neither craig or Lyon’s can stop a cross or deliver a cross (both or even one important for a full back)

Craig was ok last year but his form this year dropped significantly 

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

It's wild the amount of Clyde fans who criticise Ross Lyon but call him Lyons in the process.

We have a history of that going right back to the 80s when they used to call Tom Cowan (correct name) Tom Cowans..

He was a LB aswell strangely enough

Yer Mithers Pride🇾🇪

Edited by shawfield shed boy

8 hours ago, shawfield shed boy said:

We have a history of that going right back to the 80s when they used to call Tom Cowan (correct name) Tom Cowans..

He was a LB aswell strangely enough

Yer Mithers Pride🇾🇪

Now there was a player !

12 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

3,800 tickets allocated for Aberdeen fans. Hopefully get a decent crowd.

No reason why not, they took about that amount to Forthbank earlier in the season for a Friday Night League Cup match that was on the TV.

I see our website is saying Alex King is available for tomorrow’s match. I’m going to assume we’ve done our due diligence and made sure he’s actually still our player for the match. It’s not as though we have previous for this kind of thing or anything.

1 minute ago, Replays said:

I see our website is saying Alex King is available for tomorrow’s match. I’m going to assume we’ve done our due diligence and made sure he’s actually still our player for the match. It’s not as though we have previous for this kind of thing or anything.

It's not uncommon for January loan deals to see it conclude following the first fixture of January.  I would think it's this or an extension at play that hasn't been announced.  As he has played from 2 clubs already this season his options will be us or Morton.  Who needs him more?  Well that is subjective on our part.  He has been fairly disappointing with only a few brief moments of quality shown.  Could we fill that loan slot better?  Possibly.  Is he able to produce more than he has for us?  Probably.   If he does stay longer then I hope Ian McCall can bring the best out in him.  

2 minutes ago, Glorious Purpose said:

It's not uncommon for January loan deals to see it conclude following the first fixture of January.  I would think it's this or an extension at play that hasn't been announced.  As he has played from 2 clubs already this season his options will be us or Morton.  Who needs him more?  Well that is subjective on our part.  He has been fairly disappointing with only a few brief moments of quality shown.  Could we fill that loan slot better?  Possibly.  Is he able to produce more than he has for us?  Probably.   If he does stay longer then I hope Ian McCall can bring the best out in him.  

Aye, there was a bit of discussion prior to the window opening about King and whilst he’s been a bit disappointing, he’s suffered from being asked to be the main creative outlet for such a rubbish team. He’s still very young and I’m sure he’ll go on to have a decent career. Technical, left-footers will always be sought after. I’d not mimd him staying as I feel he’d look better in a better team (which we’ll hopefully be by the end of the window) but I’d imagine Morton will want to start feeding him into their team again during the second half of the season.

33 minutes ago, Replays said:

Aye, there was a bit of discussion prior to the window opening about King and whilst he’s been a bit disappointing, he’s suffered from being asked to be the main creative outlet for such a rubbish team. He’s still very young and I’m sure he’ll go on to have a decent career. Technical, left-footers will always be sought after. I’d not mimd him staying as I feel he’d look better in a better team (which we’ll hopefully be by the end of the window) but I’d imagine Morton will want to start feeding him into their team again during the second half of the season.

Now that Leitch has come in and will likely fill that attacking midfield/creative role, should we be against moving King to LB/LWB if he's staying for the remainder of the season? Especially since Ray Grant is nearing a start (hopefully his first tomorrow) who can shuffle across the midfield to fill in/help out.

I think he could fill that slot in a new look back 5 of: Cuddihy/Hynes; Hamilton; Howie; Dunachie and King or a four and shift Hamilton to RB.

1 hour ago, TheClyde1877 said:

should we be against moving King to LB/LWB if he's staying for the remainder of the season?

Yes. We NEED to stop trying to stick square pegs in round holes. It’s been one of our biggest issues this past decade. Especially at full back!

Sticking a creative midfielder who wants to get on the ball and do stuff at full back or wing back isn’t going to coax performances out of him. If he isn’t playing in his actual position, he shouldn’t be shoehorned into the team.

Imrie said in the Greenock Telegraph, without elaborating any further:

We've got the two kids coming back, Alex King and Michael Garrity from Clyde and Annan respectively, so it will mean we're adding another two to the squad which means we'll have quite a big group to work with at that point.

So he's clearly coming back to us, looks like the only way he'd be playing for Clyde tomorrow is if the loan was initially due to run until 7 January rather than 1 January or something odd like that.

3 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

There can’t be a club in Scottish football who have played players out of position as much as us over the past 20 years

Two spells of Jim Duffy will do that tbf.

I was talking to a Pars fan yesterday about when Duffy signed Chris Hamilton (their current captain as a CDM) having played at Hearts as a centre-half. And played him on left-wing for half a season :lol: We also had Ross Forbes as a left-back for a spell. Oh, and Michael Paton (a striker or attacking mid) as a right-back memorably up at Brechin. He was sent off for two bookings because he was incapable of tackling.

3 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Two spells of Jim Duffy will do that tbf.

I was talking to a Pars fan yesterday about when Duffy signed Chris Hamilton (their current captain as a CDM) having played at Hearts as a centre-half. And played him on left-wing for half a season :lol: We also had Ross Forbes as a left-back for a spell. Oh, and Michael Paton (a striker or attacking mid) as a right-back memorably up at Brechin. He was sent off for two bookings because he was incapable of tackling.

My first memory is Bomber Brown playing Pat Clarke (arguably the best striker in the Championship at the time) at left wing back!!

That was the beginning of the end for us under his tenure.

11 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

My first memory is Bomber Brown playing Pat Clarke (arguably the best striker in the Championship at the time) at left wing back!!

That was the beginning of the end for us under his tenure.

:lol: I never get it when managers think 'this guy is cracking at position X, lets play him at position Y instead'. Square pegs in square holes and pad out the rest of the team with the dross filling positions is a far better strategy.

11 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

Ross Forbes doesn’t have fabulous attributes for a full back ngl - running for example.

He was surprisingly effective for a few games. Although I've never seen anything quite like it. He'd just slow wingers down. Park his body in their way, do a wee John McGinn style move where he'd jam his arse into them and spin away (albeit at 0.5 the speed) and then leather a crossfielder. He was a damn site better than our other option at the time, Willie Dyer.

21 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

:lol: I never get it when managers think 'this guy is cracking at position X, lets play him at position Y instead'. Square pegs in square holes and pad out the rest of the team with the dross filling positions is a far better strategy.

He was surprisingly effective for a few games. Although I've never seen anything quite like it. He'd just slow wingers down. Park his body in their way, do a wee John McGinn style move where he'd jam his arse into them and spin away (albeit at 0.5 the speed) and then leather a crossfielder. He was a damn site better than our other option at the time, Willie Dyer.

IIRC Willie Dyer (allegedly) had a thriving sideline in fake watches to distract him.