Clyde Season 23/24

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

:lol: I never get it when managers think 'this guy is cracking at position X, lets play him at position Y instead'.

If you look at our games since since maybe Barry Ferguson was in charge, we’ve probably had someone playing out of position at full back in 90% of our games. 

Last season was one of my favourites - Lennon signed left backs Andy Rodden and Nathan Hendji in the summer. In the first game against QotS he started Hendji, hooked him after 10ish mins and brought on Paul Kennedy (a centre midfielder) to play at left back, leaving Rodden on the bench! He then signed a third left back in Jon Craig on loan but still continued with PK for many games. Brilliant.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Two spells of Jim Duffy will do that tbf.

I was talking to a Pars fan yesterday about when Duffy signed Chris Hamilton (their current captain as a CDM) having played at Hearts as a centre-half. And played him on left-wing for half a season :lol: We also had Ross Forbes as a left-back for a spell. Oh, and Michael Paton (a striker or attacking mid) as a right-back memorably up at Brechin. He was sent off for two bookings because he was incapable of tackling.

Admittedly we had a few injuries at the time, but one of Duffy's greatest out of position hits with us was playing two centre backs in central midfield and two central midfielders on the wing in a 4-4-2. Contrived to lose to Alex Rae's St Mirren.

28 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

If you look at our games since since maybe Barry Ferguson was in charge, we’ve probably had someone playing out of position at full back in 90% of our games. 

Last season was one of my favourites - Lennon signed left backs Andy Rodden and Nathan Hendji in the summer. In the first game against QotS he started Hendji, hooked him after 10ish mins and brought on Paul Kennedy (a centre midfielder) to play at left back, leaving Rodden on the bench! He then signed a third left back in Jon Craig on loan but still continued with PK for many games. Brilliant.

In fairness to Danny Lennon, Kennedy was very good at LB in that Queen of the South game IIRC! Not that it was a viable long-term strategy, of course.

4 hours ago, Replays said:

I see our website is saying Alex King is available for tomorrow’s match. I’m going to assume we’ve done our due diligence and made sure he’s actually still our player for the match. It’s not as though we have previous for this kind of thing or anything.

He’ll be available back to us on the 8th 

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Admittedly we had a few injuries at the time, but one of Duffy's greatest out of position hits with us was playing two centre backs in central midfield and two central midfielders on the wing in a 4-4-2. Contrived to lose to Alex Rae's St Mirren.

Thanks for clearing this mess up for me. The reason we are bottom of league 2 and heading on a one way ticket to the lowland league is and wait for it we played all the players  out of position.You couldn’t make this shit up.

There might be a player buried somewhere inside McCulloch but I'll never have any idea what it was that Duffman saw in Mulvanny. Best of luck to both. I think if we were going to see any signings this week, then it'd have been on Wednesday or Thursday, but I'd be delighted to be proven wrong.

I assumed Mulvanny was McLean, given the Killie link. Either way, he wasn't a striker or winger, maybe a wingback at a push.

McCulloch was just too weak, no upper body at all. Needs to bulk up. Am I right in saying he's the one that's actually contracted for another season?

Edited by David W

Dunachie, McCulloch, Mulvanny and P. Grant(!) were the ones given two-year deals. Could be that McCall thinks McCulloch has something about him that a loan spell might bring out, or just that he isn't willing to rip up his contract at this moment in time.

4 minutes ago, David W said:

I assumed Mulvanny was McLean, given the Killie link. Either way, he wasn't a striker or winger, maybe a wingback at a push.

McCulloch was just too weak, no upper body at all. Needs to bulk up. Am I right in saying he's the one that's actually contracted for another season?

You’re correct, David.

1 minute ago, the_bully_wee said:

Dunachie, McCulloch, Mulvanny and P. Grant(!) were the ones given two-year deals. Could be that McCall thinks McCulloch has something about him that a loan spell might bring out, or just that he isn't willing to rip up his contract at this moment in time.

Not sure I agree re McCulloch...maybe just the cost of paying up of his contract, so send him on loan and defer another cheque to be written. 

I do feel bad for the likes of Duncan, Malcolm, Mulvanny, McCulloch, Hendji etc and all the baffling signings. They just get absolutely shown up at this level. There’s no way they could possibly have shown enough in training/friendlies to justify a professional gig. You get the feeling these boys have just been thrown to the lions to prove some kind of point, whatever it may be.

27 minutes ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Not sure I agree re McCulloch...maybe just the cost of paying up of his contract, so send him on loan and defer another cheque to be written. 

Agree with this. I know he's still a young lad, but similar to Craig cannot defend. Had a  few absolutely horrendous games (particularly at Stenny and Peterhead) where he was hooked after an hour.

I do though agree with the point that all these lads were thrown in at the deep end, and should never have been signed, as they're nowhere near good enough at the moment.

Hopefully some of them will bounce back after a couple of years, but I suspect none of them will play again above Lowland League level at most. Hope I'm proved wrong though.

Josh McCullochs performance against Brechin is possibly the single worst individual performance I’ve ever seen. Looked like he’d never kicked a ball in his life.

7 out the door by the 5th January, incredible stuff. 

1 hour ago, SLClyde said:

Josh McCullochs performance against Brechin is possibly the single worst individual performance I’ve ever seen. Looked like he’d never kicked a ball in his life.

7 out the door by the 5th January, incredible stuff. 

Must be paying up most of these contracts though, so it won’t come cheap.