Clyde Season 23/24

Just now, Jaggy Snake said:

Well it's been nice being a proper club whilst it's lasted.

Someone remind me again how over 80% of people voted to re-elect Gordon Thomson?

I hope every bellend that voted for him is happy. They happy clapped us to the lowland league 

Couldn't make it up tonight, but I fear that that loss has cost us our league status.  Forfar and Elgin are not so bad that they will lose points at the rate that we would need them too.  I fear that the damage done by Duffy is too much to overcome, even for Ian McCall.  

Edited by Fast_Action

Conceding the goal almost instantly after scoring first was the classic Clyde moment this season. The early goal giving us momentum and then totally popped moments later and back to square one. I don’t think a single Clyde fan thought we were holding on in that last quarter tonight because we’ve seen plenty of examples - Stranraer away being among the worst.

We are very much primed for the flush. I said I’d reasses at the end of the window and after the game tonight and we are stinking. 

There is a real losers mentality and something absolutely rotten at the core of the club, very similar to when Brechin went down. No away wins in about 18 months with no sign of that changing. 

Tonight just shows how important having a competent goalkeeper is, competent keepers win you points and we have 2 jobbers in the most important part of the pitch. Not having had a good full back in 5 odd years hasn’t helped us either. 

Sick of it man. We are going down. We won’t win a playoff

Edited by Ocelot1877

23 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

Yeah we’re humped now. It’s a seven point gap but both Elgin and Forfar will pick up points between now and the end of the season so we’re going to need around 15 points minimum. We’ve won two games all season - only one since McCall came in and we nearly bottled that as well - so that level in form just isn’t coming.

Elgin and Forfar have picked up a point game

If they carry on that they will pick up another 16 so we need at least 23 points

Cant see us winning 8 games out of 15

We havent won 8 league games last season and this.

11 minutes ago, Fast_Action said:

Couldn't make it up tonight, but I fear that that loss has cost us our league status.  Forfar and Elgin are not so bad that they will lose points at the rate that we would need them too.  I fear that the damage done by Duffy is too much to overcome, even for Ian McCall.  

To be fair McCall has hardly set the heather on fire

He was my vote, however, just 1 win in 9 isn’t good

I suspect the last couple of signings are to make good the promise of eight signings by our director of football.

I can't believe those players are the quality Maitland had in mind when he made the statement at the Q&A.

I hope I'm proven wrong but I'm not optimistic.

Edited by haufdaft

I just tracked the 2nd half on Bet365 and it was glaringly obvious the goal was coming.....and it looked like Elgin didn't even need to close shop as we did SFA to retrieve things. Players just not turning up with so much at stake is sickening.

I know he is usually one of our better players but should Cuddihy have been kept on given his persistent absences through injury?

To have come through January and ended up with our best 'keeper being Leighfield, our best full-back pairing being Lyon and Dunachie (albeit, the jury is out on the new lad for now) and our backup to a permacrocked Cuddihy being Hynes is just terrifying. It feels like we've aimed far too high and, while plenty of good players have been brought in, there remains quite a significant imbalance to the squad. It's important not to overreact to this - as disastrous as it may seem, Elgin's home form is genuinely excellent - but any kind of a result would've taken a lot of pressure off and kept the gap at a decent margin. Huge pressure on us to pick up decent points over the next few weeks now though.

ETA: TL:DR - the_bully_wee above has summed up my main points much more succinctly and elegantly than I.

The biggest problem with this window is that whilst we’ve made some decent signings, we’ve so far been unable to adequately fill the positions we were poorest in, full back and goalkeeper. I know we’ve signed McGinn but he’s maybe not the pedigree we had been hoping for in there. It leaves us still looking almost as “brittle” in defence, as McCall described us after his first game in charge.

Of course, coming into a club in our position, there was always going to be an expectation that we would have to win games and fast which isn’t always easy with such a high turnover of players part-way through a season. There’s obviously a lot of football still to play and a few other clubs near Elgin in the places above us but tonight’s a horrendous night for us, make no mistake. A result like that, midweek, with a long trip there and back can suck whatever positivity there was about the place right out. I deeply worry it’s too late but hopefully tonight has convinced the manager/DOF that we need a goalkeeper and another full back before the window closes. In saying that, I’ve no idea who can come in.

Edited by Replays

On 29/01/2024 at 18:41, strichener said:

I'm from south of the Tay and I'll happily predict that Clyde won't end up in fifth place nor take 4 points from their next two games.

Well that's one of my predictions come true.

9 minutes ago, Walk Glasgow said:

FWIW we have 15 games to at least gel, steady the ship (even try to win an away match) and be ready to make a real fist of saving our hides in a play-off if that is where its headed.

EK will body us in a play-off, wouldn’t back us there at all. We still need to try and catch someone but that task is getting harder and harder. Saturday has become an absolute must win now, need to see a reaction and hopefully a new keeper.

ETA: 3 of the next 4 games at home with Stranraer away in between. We need 10 or 12 points on the board from those to drag us back into contention. Can’t see it after 2 wins all season though.

Edited by Clyde01

That was always going to be a tough fixture for Clyde tonight, and it has to be remembered that Elgin have a new management team beginning to gain some traction.  I'll hazard that Ian McCall has been making a huge effort to get the right players in but the January window isn't easy, and we know from experience that post-Duffy some positions on the park need to be exhumed never mind repaired.  It's too early yet to panic and if I was Forfar and Stranraer I'd be getting nervous.