Clyde Season 23/24

1 hour ago, RutherGlen said:

We wouldn't necessarily need to be in an area where kids/families aren't already involved with a local team if we can either do it better or offer them something a bit different.

I think the match day experience, particularly for younger kids and families is pretty awful in the main and there is a lot of untapped potential to make it something people who aren't massively into football may want to get involved in. 

If we own our own stadium and have event space/supporters' bar etc. there is a whole range of things we could implement on match day and during the week to really involve the local community and ensure that we are an active part of it. 

You're right that we can never compete with the likes of Celtic but I like to think there is still a significant number of football minded people (even in the east end) who want nothing to do with the Old Firm nonsense and would welcome a senior team like Clyde who have none of the baggage but aspirations to play at the highest level. The WOS teams may be cheaper alternatives for the working man but there's nothing to stop Clyde competing with or even outdoing them with our kids' season ticket offers (free?) and we could definitely better them for match day experience, not to mention the fact we'll (hopefully!) be playing at a higher level.

Tell me where any of that has ever worked,

46 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Tell me where any of that has ever worked,

It never worked before because it was never done for any length of time and there didn't appear to be any long term strategy to build on the relationships and connections we were making. We sent people into the primaries to hand out free tickets and immediately saw an increase in kids attending but it was only ever done for a few weeks/months and then nothing. As I said before, consistency is key. Half time mini games and competitions used to happen and were well received but again, they were ditched for reasons unknown to me. 

The pre-match offering (tapas and pints of San Miguel) during Norrie's time saw the stadium bar at Broadwood packed before every game but the club weren't actually benefitting from any of that revenue other than perhaps the slightly increased gates.

If we control the stadium and revenue streams within it, then it's a whole new ball game. 

Edited by RutherGlen

46 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Dreading tomorrow. A defeat will be very telling about our future. 

I'm actually looking forward to it. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit nervous about the possibility of defeat (or even a draw for that matter) but I am very encouraged by the recent signings and truly believe McCall is the man to keep us up. 

Time for the players to show what we know they can do. Mon the Bully!

8 hours ago, RutherGlen said:

I'm actually looking forward to it. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit nervous about the possibility of defeat (or even a draw for that matter) but I am very encouraged by the recent signings and truly believe McCall is the man to keep us up. 

Time for the players to show what we know they can do. Mon the Bully!

I'm like you, encouraged and more optimistic. McCall has done well with the new recruits and getting rid of the majority of shite. It's down to the players now to show their worth and fight.

I'm hopeful we can turn things around but need to start today. I get that teams need time to gel and get to know each others game but we don't have that luxury. 3 points is a must and a barage of goals to build confidence would be fantastic. Am I optimistic or in dreamland ?! 

Wish i were more hopeful of making ot to the game today though.... Just came off a mammoth nightshift so heading to bed with the alarm set for 11am.  

13 hours ago, Pride Of The Clyde said:

I wish people would stop quoting him.

Pride of the clyde LOL. You must be proud of this squad and its achievements propping up the entire senior leagues and adrift. You should come out and try and encourage change but you want to be popular with the mob on here. Its laughable what's going on but when your stupid like you are  all you can do is accept things for what they are. I bet you voted Gordon Thomson back on the board. Guess what league we will be playing in next season.

11 hours ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Dreading tomorrow. A defeat will be very telling about our future. 

I'm not as concerned as many others seem to be.

Even if we finish bottom we still have the opportunity of the playoffs and I think we'll smash Brechin or smug Kennedy's mob.

Although I'd rather not finish bottom. Just in case 😁

7 hours ago, haufdaft said:

I'm not as concerned as many others seem to be.

Even if we finish bottom we still have the opportunity of the playoffs and I think we'll smash Brechin or smug Kennedy's mob.

Although I'd rather not finish bottom. Just in case 😁

Are all Clyde fans as deluded as you?

While EK are not invincible, if you don’t recognise the quality of players in their squad, then you are living in a bubble.  Players like Balde having to make do with a place on the bench just one example.

Just now, Clyde85 said:

Probably been waiting to post that all week you virgin 😂

Erm yes - not as if there was a Scottish Cup swording of a top flight team to enjoy instead. Swing and a miss chump 🤡

Thomson will (rightly) take a lot of heat after today's result, but Ian McCall's job performance shouldn't be beyond criticism any longer. There were two players in that batshit starting line-up he picked that he hasn't been working with for months, one of whom had already played three games before today. We all knew from the outset that Dunachie was an awkward stop-gap at right back and yet, eight games on, here we remain, despite clear solutions having presented themselves. Perhaps Ray Grant needed a rest given his exertions since returning from such a lengthy layoff, but his omission for this, such a critical game, was bizarre in any case. Last week, the vast majority of our play consisted of trying to pelt the ball to Jordan Allan in behind as quickly as we possibly could and going by what some have said, that seemed to persist today. Nowhere near good enough given the sums invested in he, his staff and the root and stem surgery conducted on the squad. The fat lady is definitely crooning her way through the first few verses now.

Edited by the_bully_wee

43 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

Are all Clyde fans as deluded as you?

No, we are not deluded.  We have been beaten convincingly this season by both Brechin and Stirling Uni.  That performance was as bad as anything this season, whether we look better on paper or not.  

Sadly we are too far behind now.  The focus needs to be on beating EK. I'n not confident and can see us making trips to Central Park next season.