Clyde Season 23/24

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

@JIMMY CHOO's posts would be half their current size as he could no longer say "Gordon Thomson needs to go".

Yes, it's more than a bit weird. I used to think he was masquerading as a Clyde fan for his own amusement but his obsession with GT has got me thinking he's actively involved. I wonder if he is a current or former board member with one eye on the Chairman's post. 

2 hours ago, 420 said:

Whatever happened to the old mantra "we won't give up the fight till it's mathematically impossible" to avoid the play-offs? Doesn't anyone remember beating all the odds to survive relegation at Firhill in the late eiighties sending Killie down instead? Haven't stranger things happened in football history? Great escapes happen all the time and I can't believe the doomsday scenario predictors don't have a wee part of them that thinks we might just scrape by by either avoiding the play-offs entirely (admittedly, unlikely on current form) or win the play-off. Auld Mattha Gemmell said that it took a heart made in a foundry to support Clyde and he wasn't wrong and its not just the team that are being tested at the moment it's also the patience and resolve of the support.

We're no deid yet and I'm not giving up on that wee bit of logic (not hope) that tells me survival at this level is possible and should we beat the odds I'll raise a large glass to all these maggot fans of other clubs who are rubbing their manky hands at the prospect of our demise.

^^^

OIP (4).jpeg

1 hour ago, RutherGlen said:

Yes, it's more than a bit weird. I used to think he was masquerading as a Clyde fan for his own amusement but his obsession with GT has got me thinking he's actively involved. I wonder if he is a current or former board member with one eye on the Chairman's post. 

Or I could be calling it how it is. Let’s keep GT and watch the team get relegated to the junior league. I was on the board and witnessed this idiot first hand,

1 minute ago, JIMMY CHOO said:

Or I could be calling it how it is. Let’s keep GT and watch the team get relegated to the junior league. I was on the board and witnessed this idiot first hand,

You’ve been grinding that axe so hard I’m surprised there’s any left.

4 hours ago, 420 said:

Whatever happened to the old mantra "we won't give up the fight till it's mathematically impossible" to avoid the play-offs? Doesn't anyone remember beating all the odds to survive relegation at Firhill in the late eiighties sending Killie down instead? Haven't stranger things happened in football history? Great escapes happen all the time and I can't believe the doomsday scenario predictors don't have a wee part of them that thinks we might just scrape by by either avoiding the play-offs entirely (admittedly, unlikely on current form) or win the play-off. Auld Mattha Gemmell said that it took a heart made in a foundry to support Clyde and he wasn't wrong and its not just the team that are being tested at the moment it's also the patience and resolve of the support.

We're no deid yet and I'm not giving up on that wee bit of logic (not hope) that tells me survival at this level is possible and should we beat the odds I'll raise a large glass to all these maggot fans of other clubs who are rubbing their manky hands at the prospect of our demise.

That's not really a mantra. 

You never know though. I hear Dani Alves is available.

7 hours ago, 420 said:

Hopefully you don't just think it's the obvious clubs (those you've played since 19canteen).

A whole host of clubs below you are eyeing Clyde like vultures, many of whom also date back to the 19th Century. The pyramid has many levels, brother, as they say in Possilpark Masonic.

Mon the Juniors.

10 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Hopefully you don't just think it's the obvious clubs (those you've played since 19canteen).

A whole host of clubs below you are eyeing Clyde like vultures, many of whom also date back to the 19th Century. The pyramid has many levels, brother, as they say in Possilpark Masonic.

Mon the Juniors.

East Kilbride FC

13 years old.

Bankrolled by the Kean's.

Few supporters. Mostly fans of the Old Firm

Stadium in country park

Shallow stand with five rows of seating with no back support.

Empty shell of a club.

Clyde are a proper historical club with proper supporters

As are Cowdenbeath, Berwick Rangers and Albion Rovers.

I'd be careful what you wish for.

League tables should decorate who's in which league but don't pretend the fan experience is better at these empty shell clubs than at "traditional" clubs

1 hour ago, haufdaft said:

League tables should decorate who's in which league but don't pretend the fan experience is better at these empty shell clubs than at "traditional" clubs

To be totally honest, the way that 'traditional' clubs operate won't be sustainable at a lower level for too much longer and if these clubs don't move with the times, they'll be in big trouble. Well, even bigger trouble.

A very small percentage of today's yoot consume football in the so-called traditional way. An even smaller percentage enjoy going to an old creaking ground to watch substandard football on a tatty field. The experience they want as a fan is completely different from what we want.

As much as we may not like it, an 'empty shell' club like EK who market themselves in the correct way may have a much larger social media following and eventually will be able to sustain themselves to a higher level than the likes of us, Albion Rovers, Cowdenbeath etc who are ran by dinosaurs and rely almost exclusively on coaxing an ever-aging fanbase through the door. The idea of being a fan of a football club without ever setting foot near their ground is a common one nowadays and its only a matter of time until that perpetuates through the lower levels too.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

1 hour ago, haufdaft said:

East Kilbride FC

13 years old.

Bankrolled by the Kean's.

Few supporters. Mostly fans of the Old Firm

Stadium in country park

Shallow stand with five rows of seating with no back support.

Empty shell of a club.

Clyde are a proper historical club with proper supporters

As are Cowdenbeath, Berwick Rangers and Albion Rovers.

I'd be careful what you wish for.

You cling on to that!

59 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

To be totally honest, the way that 'traditional' clubs operate won't be sustainable at a lower level for too much longer and if these clubs don't move with the times, they'll be in big trouble. Well, even bigger trouble.

A very small percentage of today's yoot consume football in the so-called traditional way. An even smaller percentage enjoy going to an old creaking ground to watch substandard football on a tatty field. The experience they want as a fan is completely different from what we want.

As much as we may not like it, an 'empty shell' club like EK who market themselves in the correct way may have a much larger social media following and eventually will be able to sustain themselves to a higher level than the likes of us, Albion Rovers, Cowdenbeath etc who are ran by dinosaurs and rely almost exclusively on coaxing an ever-aging fanbase through the door. The idea of being a fan of a football club without ever setting foot near their ground is a common one nowadays and its only a matter of time until that perpetuates through the lower levels too.

You may be right. 

However the idea that football may no longer be a live spectator sport but followed on social media or on TV is a sad one.

I wonder where EK will be in 20 years time after decades of mediocre league performances.  I suspect their support will not come close to Clyde's current attendance.

EK's money will run out eventually.

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You cling on to that!

Do you honestly think signing 35 players, many of which are from the leagues above is sustainable over an extended period with attendances around 200?

I genuinely don't think it is. It'll end at some point.

Look at Gretna and Edinburgh City for example.

Edited by haufdaft

15 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Mon the Juniors.

Got no problem with that. Ambitious clubs will want to take ours or anyone else's place in Div 2 just as we (sometimes) eye promotion at someone else's expense. It's the wanting to see another club go out of existence that some people deserve a kicking for. Quite a few clubs I like us beating more than most but I'd take no pleasure out of seeing them die whether they're 19th, 20th or 21st century clubs, quite the opposite : if they die, I need some other team or teams to love beating.

Just remember, shite as we are at the moment any pretenders, young or old, still need to prove they're good enough to take us and we might surprise a few people yet.

On 21/02/2024 at 12:54, Ghostoftommyring said:

If we were properly run and had a squad fit for purpose at the START of the season I could accept us having a bad season and going down.

But, without being disrespectful to the opposition, we are in the shit because we were set up to fail due to our own breathtaking mismanagement and not because of the quality of the opposition.

It is an unbelievable irony that we can still stay up by winning just ONE game (at the very end of this season). That said, the club is so bereft that even this escape route looks like a mountain to climb.

15 hours ago, haufdaft said:

Do you honestly think signing 35 players, many of which are from the leagues above is sustainable over an extended period with attendances around 200?

I genuinely don't think it is. It'll end at some point.

Look at Gretna and Edinburgh City for example.

Their flaws don't change Clyde's position. As @Brian Carrigansaid the model used by traditional clubs isn't much better.

7 minutes ago, bullyweehutch said:

Fair fucks to where ever that came from today. We have to follow it up with another win and not shit the bed again. 

Can we play in white again please rather than an away kit and a stenny kit

This, why can we have a white kit as a third option but not our home kit? 🤔