Stirling Albion Season 24/25 Thread

1 hour ago, SouthStander1876 said:

How it feels to get defeated consistently by all FK clubs? 

Is that "all FK clubs" excluding Stenny (who we have won five of our last five matches against) and Alloa (who we have beaten twice this season)?

17 hours ago, charliewheelen said:

Evening all. I'm interviewing Darren Young soon for my podcast "Today Wheelenterview" (which you can all preview on Spotify and Youtube :]) and I wanted to get yourselves involved. I recently had the pleasure of Stuart Hunter, manager of Bo'ness, on the show and I asked the BU supporters for their questions and views. Worked a charm for a nice wee fun ending to a really insightful show.

So, is there anything you guys would like me to ask Darren next week on the show? Can be as serious or silly as you like, or the mention of a funny story, anything you fancy! Very happy to share it here when it's up, and I hope you'll enjoy it when it's out!

We saw a bunch of our under 19s feature for the club pre season and early doors in the campaign, but I think all are now out on loan or back in the under 19s, who should we as fans be excited about breaking through to the first team soon?

It seems a lifetime since we have had a youngster to come through our academy and be excited about as they break into the team.

The real answer may well be "they are all currently shite and not good enough" but if you could get an answer by asking a little more diplomatically than that would be great. There may be a couple of potential superstars in there.

Would love to hear how Darren manages the challenges of getting his game plan and organisation done with the limitations of part time football.

A couple of training sessions a week isn't a lot to get the ideas across.

Be interested when this comes out.

6 hours ago, WattersIsGod said:

Would love to hear how Darren manages the challenges of getting his game plan and organisation done with the limitations of part time football.

A couple of training sessions a week isn't a lot to get the ideas across.

Be interested when this comes out.

Glad you’re looking forward to it mate. Spoke about the challenges/limitations of part time coaching with Stewart Petrie over at Montrose a couple of weeks back on the show, I’ll link it below if you’re interested in a lot of Dick Campbell glorification. Be interesting to see how it varies club-to-club 

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1gDeH07VjQNEyTQcmYxezV?si=wmVScSB6Q3i7dSxGNHLVfg

7 hours ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

We saw a bunch of our under 19s feature for the club pre season and early doors in the campaign, but I think all are now out on loan or back in the under 19s, who should we as fans be excited about breaking through to the first team soon?

It seems a lifetime since we have had a youngster to come through our academy and be excited about as they break into the team.

The real answer may well be "they are all currently shite and not good enough" but if you could get an answer by asking a little more diplomatically than that would be great. There may be a couple of potential superstars in there.

I happen to know a boy the now who’s in the youth set up at Stirling. I reckon he will be in about the u19’s. Being 18 myself youth development is always very exciting to me especially in the lower leagues, however your enthusiasm drains when you realise there’s guys younger than you starting for Barcelona, and you’re sat trying to string a podcast together. 

I’ll possibly try and weave this question into the general interview anyway, but enough wiggle room that I can give you credit for it!

14 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

He's obviously had a good career at the top end of the Scottish game as a player, and has a good track recorded in the lower leagues as a manager of 3 clubs......but does Darren still hold out for that move into Full Time Football Management or is he happy with his day job and working in the game Part Time?

During his time at the club, his signings have, by and large been good ones....there have been very few flops. How does he go about targeting the players he wants at this level?? 

He and his brother spent a large part of their playing days together at Aberdeen and Dunfermline, and obviously both have gone into Coaching and Darren into management, but why have they never worked together since hanging up the boots?

Thanks very much for these mate. I like that last one especially I don’t think I’d have realised him and his brother had never worked together. In the last interview I did I liked being able to ask questions the supporters wanted to know, as I’ve stuck to a very chronological-style timeline of careers so far with each chat. This is all for you guys so I hope you enjoy it when it’s out, Im looking forward to meeting your gaffer!

14 hours ago, SouthStander1876 said:

How it feels to get defeated consistently by all FK clubs? 

Thanks!

See I don’t follow League 1 as much as I’d like to, although this season I’ve been keeping more of an eye, so I wasn’t aware of Darren’s Achilles Heel, but I’ll make sure this is worded as light heartedly as possible mate. If John McGlynn’s ever on you better hope I don’t find his bogey teams! 

On 14/02/2024 at 09:17, BB_Bino said:

He and his brother spent a large part of their playing days together at Aberdeen and Dunfermline, and obviously both have gone into Coaching and Darren into management, but why have they never worked together since hanging up the boots?

I think I can probably answer that, it's pretty much geography related. I think Derek is pretty constricted by a young family and his wife's job into remaining in Aberdeen unless something's changed in the last few years. It's why he left us a year before he really should have. He was good enough to play longer but he was only training with us a couple of days a week and staying with family in the Central Belt then training with Aberdeen the rest of the week as a favour. So he returned North and signed for Forfar. I think he joined us from Morton because Morton wouldn't let him continue to train with them only part time also. As far as I know he's still in Aberdeen coaching for the SFA and with Aberdeen's Academy. Darren is obviously central based and even training part time in Stirling I imagine it's more travel than Derek wants to do or is able to commit to. Especially given the fickle nature of football management when he has a steady job with the SFA.

Or maybe they just don't like each other all that much now! I think the former is more likely though.

17 hours ago, charliewheelen said:

See I don’t follow League 1 as much as I’d like to, although this season I’ve been keeping more of an eye, so I wasn’t aware of Darren’s Achilles Heel, but I’ll make sure this is worded as light heartedly as possible mate. If John McGlynn’s ever on you better hope I don’t find his bogey teams! 

You don't have to look far to Falkirks bogey team... they are owned by Dunfermline 

Josh McPake is a really interesting one. Am I surprised to see him drop into part time football- Yes and no 

You’d naturally think that being on the fringes at Rangers and playing a number of games for a team that were a game away from the premiership would comfortably remain in full time football but in truth he epitomised the term “flattered to deceive” alongside a lot murmurs regarding his poor attitude throughout last season. 

He has ability and for one month of last season, he was excellent. However, he was a one trick pony, where he’d cut in from the left and have a dig. It worked for a little bit but once defenders sussed him out, he was largely underwhelming 

I think this is exactly the type of move he needs at this stage of his career. A point to prove and not relying on the Rangers status or even full time status to get him clubs. Everything now has to be proved on the pitch. 

Next few games are massive, I'm not expecting much points wise but if we can grind out 4 points or so from the next four games then I'll be quitely confident we will have enough to avoid playoff spot. 

It's also nice to have had a full squad the last few games with some additional signings. That means each game there is two senior players that won't make the match day squad - today was Ewan Wilson and Murray Miller. 

Does anyone know who is signed up for next season or is everyone out of contract?

11 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Next few games are massive, I'm not expecting much points wise but if we can grind out 4 points or so from the next four games then I'll be quitely confident we will have enough to avoid playoff spot. 

It's also nice to have had a full squad the last few games with some additional signings. That means each game there is two senior players that won't make the match day squad - today was Ewan Wilson and Murray Miller. 

Does anyone know who is signed up for next season or is everyone out of contract?

I know that Murray Miller is going back to Australia with his family, hence the absence from the squad, not sure about other's