Stirling Albion Season 24/25 Thread

1 hour ago, Beepee67 said:

I know that Murray Miller is going back to Australia with his family, hence the absence from the squad, not sure about other's 

I did wonder where Miller was, but as always we are told very little. Ewan Wilson was also not in the squad, has he been sent back to Motherwell??

Competition is good, we’ll be all the better for it I’m sure.

1 hour ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Next few games are massive, I'm not expecting much points wise but if we can grind out 4 points or so from the next four games then I'll be quitely confident we will have enough to avoid playoff spot. 

Agree with this! I think we could take something on Tuesday , last game between us an Alloa I didn't think there was much between the sides (apart from us not shooting!) They went to Hamilton today and won. As for Queens I thought they were the poorest full-time team I have seen at forthbank in years! Games we can take points from if the good version of this team turn up. If we get the bogey version il be eating humble pie for weeks. Mon the Albion 

2 hours ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Next few games are massive, I'm not expecting much points wise but if we can grind out 4 points or so from the next four games then I'll be quitely confident we will have enough to avoid playoff spot. 

It's also nice to have had a full squad the last few games with some additional signings. That means each game there is two senior players that won't make the match day squad - today was Ewan Wilson and Murray Miller. 

Does anyone know who is signed up for next season or is everyone out of contract?

I think everyone will be out of contract except Blair Currie and Ross Davidson.

7 hours ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

Are tickets already sold out for the Accies game in midweek?

Been checking site past couple of weeks and notice there is a link for the Falkirk game on it which is a later date.

I very much doubt it 

I'm assuming that previous tickets are fully valid & other entry fees will be card or cash...

Will probably be ticket information on the website Monday for all 

9 hours ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

Are tickets already sold out for the Accies game in midweek?

Been checking site past couple of weeks and notice there is a link for the Falkirk game on it which is a later date.

Falkirk are massive. Important to take advantage of the navy blue pound and fill the stadium. 

Just read on X that Dunsmore and Wilson have left the club. Dunny has signed for Bonnyrigg Rose on loan and Wilson has returned to Motherwell.

Have to say that I'm surprised that Wilson didn't establish himself in the starting line up because I thought he made a positive impact when he played, however when I saw that McPake had signed, I think it was inevitable.

Wish both players well for the future

Edited by BB_Bino

Wilson never seemed to fully gain Darren Youngs trust. There's definitely some talent in there though.

Dunsmore has been a great servant and even this season performed admirably covering at right back.

Wish them both all the best.

8 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Rudi Molotnikov signs until end of the season from Hibs.

Seems to be a bright prospect, made a few appearances early this season for them, including in Europa against Aston Villa.  He also played and scored for Scotland Under 19s the other week.

Named after Rudi Skacel?

Can't understand the reasoning sending back young Ewan Wilson, always played decent i thought whenever he got minutes, strange one 🤔 Dunsy has been great for us, think 1st Div is a bit to big a step up for him to command a starting berth, but I'm sure he will do well for Bonnyrigg & wish both of them all the best,

Rudi Molotnikov is a young lad coming in, wish him all the best & hope he settles quickly & hits the ground running 

1 hour ago, Beepee67 said:

Can't understand the reasoning sending back young Ewan Wilson, always played decent i thought whenever he got minutes, strange one 🤔 Dunsy has been great for us, think 1st Div is a bit to big a step up for him to command a starting berth, but I'm sure he will do well for Bonnyrigg & wish both of them all the best,

Rudi Molotnikov is a young lad coming in, wish him all the best & hope he settles quickly & hits the ground running 

Shame about EW. Thought he did well and will never forget his contribution in the Kelty 5-0. Will need to get scouting this Rudi lad for my tactics board.

What's happening with Sam Bird? 2 months and 0 minutes doesn't seem right if he's moved from England? Can he play RB because we need one.

Edited by SA45

46 minutes ago, SA45 said:

Shame about EW. Thought he did well and will never forget his contribution in the Kelty 5-0. Will need to get scouting this Rudi lad for my tactics board.

What's happening with Sam Bird? 2 months and 0 minutes doesn't seem right if he's moved from England? Can he play RB because we need one.

@SA45 I'm on it..

Ok best i can give you for now is he had to wait 28 days for clearance from 1st January..so was only available to us from 29th January... was on the bench 1st week after that..but never got on... he then had a stomach bug, before being available for the last 3 games...again no minutes... I've heard that he has a good engine, right sided who likes to carry the ball, what position I'm not sure just now 🤔 

DY is said to be confident in him, part of the reason he let Dunsy go 

Will get back to you on this 

Edited by Beepee67

Murray Miller the latest player to be loaned out, this time to Stranraer. Can't say I'm too disappointed with the news. On other threads, posters sung his praises but in the games I saw him in, he looked no better than ok for me. 

Hope it works out well for the lad, I think chopping and changing club does no youngsters development any good, so hopefully he goes to Stranraer and has a settled part of his career there.

I always liked what Miller offered. Lacked physicality and wasn't the most adventurous on the ball, but gave us some control (unlike some of our other CM options). I wanted to see him play alongside Crane, but never happened.

i think Miller is a decent player but probably not the right one for this team. 

As the two above have said, he's a controlling type player, good at keeping possession, decent technically but not exactly dynamic. He'd suit a team that wants to keep the ball and play a slow patient build up.

i thought he might have been some use away from home in tougher games but DY usually only plays one nominally defensive midfielder.

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all, just a wee heads up on the podcast interview with Darren Young. Finally, we're getting it done tomorrow, so should have the episode out this coming week. Looking forward to it and thanks again for all of your questions and insights!

so where are we with just under of a quarter of the season to go?

one year ago today, we were beating Bonnyrigg with a last minute winner to take us within 2 points of Dumbarton with a game in hand. it was the first time i thought that we were going to win the league.  we'd had to come from behind and the equaliser came from an unlikely source in an on loan left back without a senior goal to his name. it didn't look like a winner was coming and then Tommo turns it round the corner and Leitch finishes beautifully. you could see that the day that the players believed it too.  Pretty sure Pabs went so mental that he got booked. 

if you'd said to me a year on that we would be 6th in the league one and had just run the unbeaten league leaders close again at Forthbank, i'd probably have taken that. 

Just like last year, there is still work to do to ensure a successful finish to the season but again we are well enough placed with it in our own hands. 

it's a different kind of season and enjoyable in a different way. there is a noticeable difference in quality of opposition. its been pretty much as i expected. i thought we'd have to improve the squad as the season went on and i think that's happened.  it would be hard to argue that the squad isn't of a better standard than last year's. 

now we just need to finish the job and make sure we stay up automatically. based on recent form, i'm cautiously optimistic.