Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

7 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

All very quiet on the signings front with not even any rumours flying around.

Anyway, we seem to currently have senior squad of 20 players and we're definitely better placed than previous seasons but in reality it's probably only 16 as it includes Hutton, Dunlop, Kavanagh & Prince who look very unlikely to play much, if at all.

As has been mentioned in other forums, the loan market, especially when it involves players from Scottish premiership clubs is fraught with danger given that they don't seem to want to release experienced players until very late in the window when they've filled their own squads.

Perhaps we'll see a trialist or 4 this weekend.

Players from England’s contracts don’t expire until the 30th of June also. If we’re going down the route if signing players from The National League, which is quite a popular option in the Championship these days. 

47 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

All very quiet on the signings front with not even any rumours flying around.

Anyway, we seem to currently have senior squad of 20 players and we're definitely better placed than previous seasons but in reality it's probably only 16 as it includes Hutton, Dunlop, Kavanagh & Prince who look very unlikely to play much, if at all.

As has been mentioned in other forums, the loan market, especially when it involves players from Scottish premiership clubs is fraught with danger given that they don't seem to want to release experienced players until very late in the window when they've filled their own squads.

Perhaps we'll see a trialist or 4 this weekend.

Prince is away 

1 hour ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Players from England’s contracts don’t expire until the 30th of June also. If we’re going down the route if signing players from The National League, which is quite a popular option in the Championship these days. 

Full time ones do. In my experience outside the Football League would normally be a little earlier.

So far we havent really strengthened. Lost Smith, got Todorov, and a bunch of kids to replace those that were released.

I'd hope to see some experienced signings, particularly defenders as its looking a bit thin in that department and was a weaker area last season, specifically a left back

I'll be honest, I know it's still very early but I'm not sure we're getting many (if any) proven Championship level players in. The good thing is that we have a solid core squad already there and a few of those guys have already played at Championship level. I think the squad is most likely going to be supplemented by unproven youngsters. I think in recent years we've got a decent record of picking up young players without much senior experience (Devenny and McGill the obvious ones now, but McCann, MacDonald, and even Smith when we first signed him on loan are good examples) so that might not necesarily be a bad thing. I would feel a bit more at ease if we signed even one quality player with Championship experience in the coming weeks.

Maybe I'm wrong and I'm worrying too early though - last season we never signed Telfer until September so that shows how long we still have to add some quality. Hopefully we'll see some exciting trailists at the weekend.

2 minutes ago, G_H said:

So far we havent really strengthened. Lost Smith, got Todorov, and a bunch of kids to replace those that were released.

I'd hope to see some experienced signings, particularly defenders as its looking a bit thin in that department and was a weaker area last season, specifically a left back

Agree with this. I think in midfield and up front we could do with adding quality to supplement what's already there, but the defence needs a couple of players that can come straight into the first team. Need at least a left back to let Ballantyne move over to the right and a centre back that's a bit more mobile than ATS (although I'm a fan of his).

Just noticed Dan O'Reilly is on the PFA Scotland Player Availability list. Quite a few on here mentioned that they'd take him with us after the playoff games against the Accies. I assume being on that list means he's happy to stay in Scotland and not necesarily looking for a move back to Ireland so hopefully we're a potential suitor there.

Listening to the interviews of Telfer Watson etc , they keep mentioning quality additions,  surely they are not just on about Todorov and the Hibs laddies, I get the impression there are more signed than have been announced..   would the Partick lads have had to sign technically a months deal in order for a full squad to be available for the Playoff final that they bottled.   So there could be contractual reasons if of course we wanted to sign any. 

A fourth post in a row from myself here so apologies for that - I'm just back from a short holiday and giving myself a quick refresher of everything Airdrie!

Squad numbers have been updated on the club website for anyone that's interested. All of last season's remaining squad appear to be unchanged with O'Connor taking 7, Todorov taking 11, Aiken taking 18, Dunlop taking 19, and Kavanagh taking 30.

7 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

A fourth post in a row from myself here so apologies for that - I'm just back from a short holiday and giving myself a quick refresher of everything Airdrie!

Squad numbers have been updated on the club website for anyone that's interested. All of last season's remaining squad appear to be unchanged with O'Connor taking 7, Todorov taking 11, Aiken taking 18, Dunlop taking 19, and Kavanagh taking 30.

Could the Tie in with McNamaras Consilium agency be putting off players, every player that signs appears to be a client or is a client with Consilium shortly after...    are we looking at a very narrow window of players due to this process..

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I don't mind squad numbers but McGregor still having #8 when 7 and 11 were now available is poor IMO. 

I'm not worried about the squad at this point. We're probably in the strongest position quality and quantity wise that we've been in at this stage of a pre-season for a long time. And I think the desire that most fans, of all clubs, have to sign the entirety of their squad early is a bit overplayed. I understand the theory but I'm not convinced having your squad complete by the end of June makes that much of a difference compared to the middle-end of July. There's still what 5/6 weeks until the start of the league season? Plenty of time to get business done and ultimately it's the team that lines up at the start of the season that matters and which we can truly judge. I don't mind waiting for quality - assuming that is what's still to come!

That being said, I'll obviously be raging if it's Ally Spalding the next time the pen comes out. 

Edited by airdrieman

16 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I don't mind squad numbers but McGregor still having #8 when 7 and 11 were now available is poor IMO. 

I'm not worried about the squad at this point. We're probably in the strongest position quality and quantity wise that we've been in at this stage of a pre-season for a long time. And I think the desire that most fans, of all clubs, have to sign the entirety of their squad early is a bit overplayed. I understand the theory but I'm not convinced having your squad complete by the end of June makes that much of a difference compared to the middle-end of July. There's still what 5/6 weeks until the start of the league season? Plenty of time to get business done and ultimately it's the team that lines up at the start of the season that matters and which we can truly judge. I don't mind waiting for quality - assuming that is what's still to come!

That being said, I'll obviously be raging if it's Ally Spalding the next time the pen comes out. 

Yeah I can't cope with the Pen being out for a 17 yo, hopefully out this week at some point but as someone said earlier nothing much coming out of the club not heard any rumours or so in the last week.

Assuming we probably have some bounce games/closed door games over the next week or so , as well as this weekend super cup special, I would be shocked if we haven't got trialists at these games. 

I don't mind the pen being out for youngsters cause it's good for them, they've earned a contract. It's not gonna get anyone excited , but it shows we are at least trying to build for a future. 

All that being said I wouldn't mind seeing the pen this week and it being a good experienced left back...

3 hours ago, G_H said:

I've said this previously but it will hugely disappointing if O'Connor & Aiken fail to make an impact despite their inexperience. Clearly Rhys expects them to, otherwise he wouldn't have signed them.