Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

We have a track record of very poor home attendance in recent times….hardly going to drive a large budget so we need to be sensible about expectations on what we can afford.

Sure…we will have better away attendances but the board will have to budget sensibly.

look at what Arbroath have achieved with their players and to a certain extent Queens Park. To me it’s all about acquiring players that manager feels suit the system and I’m sure the young Hibs lads fit that.

I do get that we need some defensive cover but as for the rest of the squad o am very hopeful we will do well with what we have.

Just now, Mybitchunderprotest said:

No thanks, I live with one of them and positivity meeting negativity head on, on a daily basis is tiring enough without dealing with it on here.

I like the fact that you reckon stoic in your defence of the glass half empty way of life. 👏

46 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

If you're struggling to comprehend the post it's on you buddy, he was quite clearly referring to Queens Park as Gretna. 

Naw,he certainly said (to a certain extent Gretna)and I don't agree with that ,

I think I’m one of the more pessimistic fans out us all as I always say it’s the hope that kills you but dear me even I felt worse after the last few pages.

Regardless of who we played at the weekend what I was very pleased with was us sticking to how we played last season. The thing that worries me is potentially going more defensively this season trying to grind it out when based on last season that is not a strength of ours. 

As for signings other than Raith and Dundee Utd going off their tits most teams are in the same boat. We all want that marquee signing but we will have potentially the lowest full time budget in Scotland. 

For every Arbroath and Queens Park (almost back to back promotions) there’s a Cove and a Brechin who go straight back down. So we have no idea how this will go. 

Was chatting the other day about trips to Ayr, Greenock and Partick and how they used to be rivalries and we had genuine fire in games against these teams. The key word is used to. Promotion is amazing but it took so long to get it we became an irrelevance to a lot of teams and it will take a while before we match these teams when competing for players. Whether we like it or not recruitment for Airdrie will not be easy. It’s also not worth chasing people for the sake of a signing who won’t improve us or won’t fit the style McCabe is looking for. 

This is the most positive I’ve felt in a pre season in who knows how long. 

19 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

I think I’m one of the more pessimistic fans out us all as I always say it’s the hope that kills you but dear me even I felt worse after the last few pages.

Regardless of who we played at the weekend what I was very pleased with was us sticking to how we played last season. The thing that worries me is potentially going more defensively this season trying to grind it out when based on last season that is not a strength of ours. 

As for signings other than Raith and Dundee Utd going off their tits most teams are in the same boat. We all want that marquee signing but we will have potentially the lowest full time budget in Scotland. 

For every Arbroath and Queens Park (almost back to back promotions) there’s a Cove and a Brechin who go straight back down. So we have no idea how this will go. 

Was chatting the other day about trips to Ayr, Greenock and Partick and how they used to be rivalries and we had genuine fire in games against these teams. The key word is used to. Promotion is amazing but it took so long to get it we became an irrelevance to a lot of teams and it will take a while before we match these teams when competing for players. Whether we like it or not recruitment for Airdrie will not be easy. It’s also not worth chasing people for the sake of a signing who won’t improve us or won’t fit the style McCabe is looking for. 

This is the most positive I’ve felt in a pre season in who knows how long. 

Now that's a good post,to say it as you see it.

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Naw,he certainly said (to a certain extent Gretna)and I don't agree with that ,

It was me, and I just didn't. I did the old P+B "FTFY" joke where I directly subbed QPs name for Gretna 2.0. on account of you know, the very small clubs literally buying their way up the leagues thing that they both did. You genuinely sound a bit moronic here.

6 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

It was me, and I just didn't. I did the old P+B "FTFY" joke where I directly subbed QPs name for Gretna 2.0. on account of you know, the very small clubs literally buying their way up the leagues thing that they both did. You genuinely sound a bit moronic here.

My mistake,but not foolish nor stupid ,a bit older . but thanks for that  opinion ,