Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

2 hours ago, KD1711 said:

One of my mates plays for Plymouth and he was there when he was playing, said he was a cracking player absolutely devoid of confidence which is probably how he has ended up at this level.

Why did I picture Jay from The Inbetweeners saying this 😂 But in all seriousness, that could very well be the case!

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Here's Queens Park's salaries for info. No coincidence their rise up the ranks and I'm not advocating we should be spending an equivalent amount.

image.thumb.png.8998130ebb4ba948ea4c52cefe1839dc.png

£30 per week was the differential that he and the club were arguing over.

It is to an extent but when the market is tight then it comes down to dosh. 

Or quite possibly length of contract offered also...  Security etc..

3 hours ago, Passionate said:

Ammo,    That's not what I am saying and you know it, a bit of a fishing trip methinks.....  I will be even blunter. The club should make at least 250k est minimum from increased gates and league prize money,  not just our club all clubs so nothing confidential it's only simple addition.  So if people are thinking it's down to lack of budget or PH not investing , 250k est isn't a bad starting point in trying to keep us up,after what we have had to endure on recent years,  admittedly wages and costs increase quite rightly..

Gen up, no fishing trip here and meant in the best possible sense btw. I get that costs go up, and with decent additions few and far between, the better ones can ask for that bit extra that maybe separates us from the majority of other teams, like telfer tried last year. There will be trialists bobbing about and players (loans) maybe becoming available when clubs get new replacements in. 

Listen, we are where we are regardless of I moan or not. I'm still not getting myself worked up into a sweat..... Yet.

3 hours ago, Passionate said:

Ammo,    That's not what I am saying and you know it, a bit of a fishing trip methinks.....  I will be even blunter. The club should make at least 250k est minimum from increased gates and league prize money,  not just our club all clubs so nothing confidential it's only simple addition.  So if people are thinking it's down to lack of budget or PH not investing , 250k est isn't a bad starting point in trying to keep us up,after what we have had to endure on recent years,  admittedly wages and costs increase quite rightly..

Btw, I've just read your original post again, I think I've read it totally in the wrong context, I'm assuming that you were just illustrating the fact that if we completed the season regardless if we score a goal, we would get x amount.

I'm a fud.

I suspect that I am the only one thinking this, but I would have preferred to see us losing Watson and ATS, and keeping Deveney and Byrd.

Our issues would still be the same, we would still need a left back and centre back, but we would have the possibility of Deveney or Byrd improving through the season and developing into decent players. Both Watson and ATS are on the way down, and provide little hope for the future.

1 hour ago, Sage Monkey said:

I suspect that I am the only one thinking this, but I would have preferred to see us losing Watson and ATS, and keeping Deveney and Byrd.

Our issues would still be the same, we would still need a left back and centre back, but we would have the possibility of Deveney or Byrd improving through the season and developing into decent players. Both Watson and ATS are on the way down, and provide little hope for the future.

Both struggled defensively and perhaps our promotion scuppered there hopes of a new deal. However, Deveney did play a lot of games and was at least a genuine LB but whilst it has not materialised yet, I am sure the intention was to bring in better than all 4 of them.

What's everyone's thoughts on the starting 11 on Saturday?

I'll go for

Rae

Ballantyne Watson Fordyce Fellows

McCabe

Frizzell Devenny

McGill Gallagher O'Connor

Would like to think Todorov, Aitken, Telfer, McGregor and McMaster would all get on at some point (if that starting 11 is correct)

4 hours ago, Sage Monkey said:

So get rid of 2 experienced players for youth? 

Euan had his chance at us and I wasn’t impressed. Yes he can attack and his crossing improved over the course of the season but defensively he was piss poor. Definitely no where near Championship ability. He will improve under Brian Rice next season in L1 but I’m happy he’s not at us for next season. If he struggled to defend against Accies in the 2nd leg of the play off, god knows what he would be like against a half decent Championship side. Lachie is also a player I’m happy to see the back of. Not overly impressed when he was playing in L1 and he’s definitely not championship ability. 

Dycey got interviewed by the press maybe a week or so ago and he said the main area Airdrie are looking to improve is the defence. So expect 1 or 2 defenders in over the next 3-4 weeks. 

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

I'll go for

Rae

McCabe

Frizzell Devenny

Would like to think Todorov, Aitken, Telfer, McGregor and McMaster would all get on at some point (if that starting 11 is correct)

Whilst I believe that the season starts on Saturday as qualifying through the group stage could mean extra funds for player it's a fair shout give Fellows a go at LB.

I get the feeling Rhys might not start himself though.

Edited by Kenny_m

Pretty much in agreement with @Diamonds are Forever on most of this.

Certainly on here, I don’t see anyone saying they’re jumping for joy that we have four registered defenders for the season ahead - with two of those being ATS and Janny, who wouldn’t be starters for me (even in L1) - but we do need a bit of realism as well.

Not one of us will know what conversations are going on behind closed doors, what players we’ve spoken to and what the offers are looking like but I would say it’s nativity in the extreme to think those at the club aren’t going to be prepared for next season and instead allow us to slink back to L1 with a whimper - anyone who has even the slightest idea about those in charge will know that. Getting Airdrie to the Championship and ensuring we establish ourselves there has been the goal since day one as far as I can see, so there is little doubt in my mind they’ll be doing all they can to achieve that.

However, as many others have said - what can you do if the players aren’t there, aren’t good enough, or aren’t worth what they’re asking for? In any walk of life, it’s got to be the best person for the job and I’ll always applaud the club for taking that approach.

Don’t get me wrong, if we start against Dunfermline with the back four we have right now, I’ll be worried, but I just don’t see that happening at all and I think that is the point others are making.

I do wonder if we’re still talking to Euan East? I note that he hasn’t been offered anything with Thistle yet, and wasn’t involved in their last friendly. A left-sided CB that can cover LB sounds right up our street and perhaps he wasn’t able to be in Ireland with the squad last week, hence why he was on trial with Thistle. This would all also jive with Dycey’s comments that we were talking to players - in a case like East, it wouldn’t necessarily be simple, with Thistle in the equation as well. All conjecture on my part, but seems plausible. 

29 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Whilst I believe that the season starts on Saturday as qualifying through the group stage could mean extra funds for player it's a fair shout give Fellows a go at LB.

I get the feeling Rhys might not start himself though.

Yeah perhaps watch this game from the sidelines.

No disrespect to Dumbarton but should be winning the game regardless whether McCabe starts or not.

35 minutes ago, thediamonddude said:

However, as many others have said - what can you do if the players aren’t there, aren’t good enough, or aren’t worth what they’re asking for? In any walk of life, it’s got to be the best person for the job and I’ll always applaud the club for taking that approach.

I don't disagree but we need to find them, from somewhere.

2 hours ago, AJ77 said:

I'll go for

Rae

McCabe

Frizzell Devenny

Will probably be along those lines but it wouldn’t surprise me if Aiken and Todorov started in place of Devenny and Gal. Felt like they tried to replace Gal at the start of last season with Gabby starting through the middle, before Gal went on to have the best season of his career! It wouldn’t surprise me either if we stared the back 4 we ended last season with in - Watson Fordyce ATS Ballantyne 

But if Fellows is going to be in and around the squad we’re as well blooding him in against Dumbarton. I’ll miss the game so I hope it’s not as big a nonsense as the last two home games against them. I’ll go for 1-0 Dumbarton, their goal coming as a result of us messing around at the back, followed by complete over-reactions all over the shop. 

The first home game has cost us in the League Cup in the last couple of seasons. Two years ago we needed a last minute equaliser to draw 1-1 at home to Annan (before losing on penalties) and then battering Edinburgh last season but somehow drawing 1-1 (before once again losing on penalties). I won't be devastated if we don't qualify but it would be nice to start off with a win this time.

10 minutes ago, goodwin said:

Airdrie for the Cup. Don't like all this pre-season guff. There's cash to be won and we need it

Aye I’d hope we’re taking it seriously. It’s a reasonable enough group and while we’d be expected to finish 3rd, the two “stronger” teams were both in the Championship last season so I suppose they’re not miles ahead of us. The second round is played at the end of August so any gate money made from us drawing one of the Old Firm we’d be able to use before the window closes. On the off chance you win in the second round you’re in the quarter final and again, you’d know who you were playing before the window closes. Progressing past this group stage could really help set us up for the season.

I don’t expect we will progress through the group stage. Dundee and Caley Thistle are rightfully favoured over us. But we should be giving it a go.

Yeah it’s probably as reasonable a draw we could hope to get. Two League 2 teams, probably the worst team in pot 1 and a team from our own league. Potentially going full #McCabeball at Ibrox or Parkhead gives me the fear 😂