Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

4 hours ago, Rossm25 said:

What we can all agree on is....

5 quid for a steak pie is bang out of order. The steak pie must be boycotted! 

Is £5 for a hot steak pie that dear? At Tesco, for example an individual steak pie costs £3.65, that needs to be heated, add staff costs at the kiosk and I think the club need to charge 20% VAT on hot food sales so I doubt if there is much profit for the club

17 hours ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

He’s more of a sub type of player had three chances he absolutely wasted should be O’Connor in there anywyas if not it will be a long season 

First time I’d seen O’Connor yesterday. On that one viewing, I’d rather have mcgreggor. 

37 minutes ago, Old Diamond said:

Is £5 for a hot steak pie that dear? At Tesco, for example an individual steak pie costs £3.65, that needs to be heated, add staff costs at the kiosk and I think the club need to charge 20% VAT on hot food sales so I doubt if there is much profit for the club

Personally think it's a bit steep,  the hot drinks, fizzy juice are reasonable,  and the amount of hot dogs that were consumed must be decently priced although not sure how much...

Does anybody know, if we rent the piestall to Christie's, and they sell there products at whatever price to make a profit,  or do the club run it , purchase the goods from Christie's and sell at a profit themselves.. ..

This isnt a moan just a question... 

Just now, Passionate said:

Does anybody know, if we rent the piestall to Christie's, and they sell there products at whatever price to make a profit,  or do the club run it , purchase the goods from Christie's and sell at a profit themselves.. .. 

That's a very good question. I'm unlikely to ever spend a fiver on a pie but would be significantly more likely to be buying generally if it was for the clubs pockets.

Edited by cb_diamond

Must say, not getting the McGregor hate from yesterday - yes, he had 2 or 3 very good chances before his goal at the end but I was impressed by how he never shied away, was always looking to get on the ball and tried to make things happen. To expect a 19 year old lad to have the level of composure required to bag a hat trick yesterday is the kind of nativity (that one’s for you @Chapelhall chap 😉) that I was alluding to before. If he had it, he wouldn’t be at this level with us.

We would all love 11 ‘oven ready’ players that could lay siege to the league and ensure we finish mid-table at worst but that’s just not going to happen, so I’d suggest re-setting expectations for some.

We have a good young squad that know each other well, play with a style and believe in each other/what the management are trying to do - I would go as far as to say that’s the best position we’ve been in at the start of a season since about 2005. We need (and all want) a couple of players to supplement that good base, so let’s have some patience and see what the club can do in that regard.

I thought yesterday was absolutely fine - played very much like a pre-season friendly with two teams that looked pretty rusty. We knocked the ball about well at times but it was just a wee bit too pedestrian in comparison to what we’re capable of doing when we move the ball about. Massive credit goes to Dumbarton too though, as they pressed us well for the first hour, stopping us playing, and then sat back more in the second half, meaning they were hard to break down. Yet break them down we did and a result we got, so that’s fine with me.

Thought Rae, ATS, McMaster, Frizz, and McGregor all had good games - the rest were okay but particularly disappointed with Dycey, Telfer, and Gal, all of whom I thought were way off the pace. Hoping yesterday shook some of that ring rust off.

37 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

This could be the worst thing I have ever seen in my life 😂

It might not make happy reading, but that doesn’t mean it’s not true. O’Connor hopefully has more to show than yesterday. McGreggor started bright but faded second half, but was still in right place to get his goal.

29 minutes ago, thediamonddude said:

We would all love 11 ‘oven ready’ players that could lay siege to the league and ensure we finish mid-table at worst but that’s just not going to happen, so I’d suggest re-setting expectations for some.

First of all, if you're crediting @Chapelhall chap with nativity then please ensure you do likewise with me 😄

Has anyone suggested a mid table at worst finish? I think most have been pretty realistic that the aim is for 8th although there is a growing uneasiness in the lack of signings and Rhys didn't seem to suggest there was anything imminent in his pre-match interview. Whilst we are all agreed on the positions that we need to strengthen, it must be our starting 11 and not forgetting that we need a goalie for East End Park.

2 hours ago, Old Diamond said:

I think a fiver is pretty shocking,  I know it's probably just a knock on effect from suppliers prices than ruthless profiteering but I shan't be buying one at that price. 

Tell you something though , if this is the negatively we get from a WIN, its going to mad next week if we get beat off a PREMIER LEAGUE team.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

First of all, if you're crediting @Chapelhall chap with nativity then please ensure you do likewise with me 😄

Has anyone suggested a mid table at worst finish? I think most have been pretty realistic that the aim is for 8th although there is a growing uneasiness in the lack of signings and Rhys didn't seem to suggest there was anything imminent in his pre-match interview. Whilst we are all agreed on the positions that we need to strengthen, it must be our starting 11 and not forgetting that we need a goalie for East End Park.

Apologies, I hadn’t appreciated anyone else had noticed that gaff - as I tend to pride myself on my conscientious checking of things, so must have missed that in my embarrassment! 😂

You misunderstand the point I was making, I wasn’t saying anyone had said that, I was saying that in an ideal world that’s what we’d have - a decent portion (if not all) of our first 11 being able to comfortably get us to mid-table. However, whilst no one has been suggesting we have much chance of finishing higher than 8th, they have been intimating that we need the kind of player that would stroll into our starting lineup. It all feels a wee bit contradictory to me, as well as unrealistic.

I think we’ll add a couple of defenders, maybe a midfielder and forward later when loans become a factor but let’s not kid ourselves - these are unlikely to be players that, when they sign, are household names that everyone paws over instantly. That’s not to say they won’t be good enough or won’t better our 11, but we’ll need to be patient - something that seems in short supply right now for some reason.

While we do need a few signings, I think every team in the league is the same. Looking at some other threads, Ayr have just sold their best player and fans seem to think they need about 4 starting quality players, Morton and Thistle had very small benches yesterday, Queen’s Park have a very young team without a right back, Arbroath are playing Scott Stewart at left back because of injuries, Raith need defenders and already have a few injuries, Dunfermline had a very young bench and who knows what’s going on at Dundee United. 

I’m not saying the squad we have just now is as good as the rest of the league, just that every other team still needs players too, it’s not Airdrie lagging behind. We’re bottom of the list in terms of budget so we might need to be patient for the last few players joining.

7 minutes ago, thediamonddude said:

Apologies, I hadn’t appreciated anyone else had noticed that gaff - as I tend to pride myself on my conscientious checking of things, so must have missed that in my embarrassment! 😂

You misunderstand the point I was making, I wasn’t saying anyone had said that, I was saying that in an ideal world that’s what we’d have - a decent portion (if not all) of our first 11 being able to comfortably get us to mid-table. However, whilst no one has been suggesting we have much chance of finishing higher than 8th, they have been intimating that we need the kind of player that would stroll into our starting lineup. It all feels a wee bit contradictory to me, as well as unrealistic.

I think we’ll add a couple of defenders, maybe a midfielder and forward later when loans become a factor but let’s not kid ourselves - these are unlikely to be players that, when they sign, are household names that everyone paws over instantly. That’s not to say they won’t be good enough or won’t better our 11, but we’ll need to be patient - something that seems in short supply right now for some reason.

Rhys has spoken about adding quality which to me means we are looking at players who do go straight in the side and we must remember that we finished 3rd in League 1 last season, therefore we got to find them. I totally appreciate it's not an easy task and the loans, as you suggest, seem the most likely option to me too.

I watched Raith v Dunfermline last night and my only thought was how our current defence could cope with the power and pace of Lewis McCann.

Aware of his injury record but Josh Kerr anyone? Can we get better?

3 minutes ago, Mr November said:

While we do need a few signings, I think every team in the league is the same. Looking at some other threads, Ayr have just sold their best player and fans seem to think they need about 4 starting quality players, Morton and Thistle had very small benches yesterday, Queen’s Park have a very young team without a right back, Arbroath are playing Scott Stewart at left back because of injuries, Raith need defenders and already have a few injuries, Dunfermline had a very young bench and who knows what’s going on at Dundee United. 

I’m not saying the squad we have just now is as good as the rest of the league, just that every other team still needs players too, it’s not Airdrie lagging behind. We’re bottom of the list in terms of budget so we might need to be patient for the last few players joining.

Yes, but we're moving up a level.

3 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Yes, but we're moving up a level.

We are and we do need to improve. I think people sometimes get a bit caught up in their own club though and forget that every club is still a few players short at the moment, it’s not just Airdrie.