Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

9 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

It's difficult because you are signing a guy that you hope never actually plays, so how much of your playing budget do you invest in that position? But as we saw last season an injury to Rae and suddenly there are real problems.

We played the emergency loan system beautifully last season but being up a league makes it harder as your pool of players shrinks but also the quality of the loanee needs to be higher. Even in terms of signing a 2nd choice, any good goalies are signed up to be first choice somewhere, who is going to come in and be 2nd choice all season? It's a difficult one.

I assume as well that an emergency loan can only last a minimal amount of time. So if Rae was to get another long-term injury we’d either have to play Hutton or sign a youngster on a longer-term loan (who probably won’t be as good as one available on an emergency loan) or a dafty like Dean Lyness. Neither of which is ideal. I suppose Rae getting injured isn’t that likely but it’s not impossible obviously. Presumably none of the academy goalkeepers are deemed ‘ready’ since we never see them on the bench and it’s Liam Prunty who warms up with Rae + Hutton rather than any of them? 

14 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I assume as well that an emergency loan can only last a minimal amount of time. So if Rae was to get another long-term injury we’d either have to play Hutton or sign a youngster on a longer-term loan (who probably won’t be as good as one available on an emergency loan) or a dafty like Dean Lyness. Neither of which is ideal. I suppose Rae getting injured isn’t that likely but it’s not impossible obviously. Presumably none of the academy goalkeepers are deemed ‘ready’ since we never see them on the bench and it’s Liam Prunty who warms up with Rae + Hutton rather than any of them? 

Notice Josh Kerr has signed for Cove

Saw McCabe possibly hinting at making a few changes to the team tomorrow. Not sure there’s much scope to do that without largely reducing the quality of the starting XI other than Todorov for Gal, O’Connor for McGregor and maybe Telfer for Aiken, assuming Devenny is getting the cotton wool treatment. I certainly wouldn’t risk anyone who’s not 100% fit but equally we should be going up there looking to play as strong a team as possible and win. 

7 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Saw McCabe possibly hinting at making a few changes to the team tomorrow. Not sure there’s much scope to do that without largely reducing the quality of the starting XI other than Todorov for Gal, O’Connor for McGregor and maybe Telfer for Aiken, assuming Devenny is getting the cotton wool treatment. I certainly wouldn’t risk anyone who’s not 100% fit but equally we should be going up there looking to play as strong a team as possible and win. 

Frizz Gabby and McCabe late fitness checks 

2 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Fairplay mate, don't fancy getting home the back of 2 and getting up at 7 for work lol

I’m lucky because I’m off work and have family up there so going to stay for a few days. Will miss Saturday’s game but we’ll have hopefully more or less secured qualification by then 😉

11 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

So not to open this can of worms again, but has anyone heard anything at all about signings? We must surely be approaching the twitchy arse bit of pre season?

Muhamet Gashi started following the club on Twitter 👀

Just now, airdrieman said:

Surprised he's getting another look. Can't imagine being an attacker in an 8 nil spanking would be setting the heather on fire type stuff 😂

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I’m lucky because I’m off work and have family up there so going to stay for a few days. Will miss Saturday’s game but we’ll have hopefully more or less secured qualification by then 😉

Still been in training with club but know absolutely nothing about him boys been playing in the 8th tier of England screams Taylor Morgan 2.0