Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

3 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

Yeah I do agree with that, I just don’t agree with the notion that if we don’t get them in the door before Saturday we’re guaranteed to finish 10th.

we need to remember Dunfermline also haven’t strengthened from last year and the player who scored the winner in the only game they beat us plays for us now.

Yeah I agree that it’s OTT to think that we’re guaranteed to finish 10th if we don’t bring anyone in by Saturday. I would say we can’t afford to have a bad start - but if I recall, the last time we were in this league, we won our first 2 games, scudded Dumbarton at home and then got a good win away to Livingston. And then it went pear shaped after that! So it’s hard to judge at the start of a season. 

I’m sure the signings will come though!…..I hope 😅

31 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Yeah I agree that it’s OTT to think that we’re guaranteed to finish 10th if we don’t bring anyone in by Saturday. I would say we can’t afford to have a bad start - but if I recall, the last time we were in this league, we won our first 2 games, scudded Dumbarton at home and then got a good win away to Livingston. And then it went pear shaped after that! So it’s hard to judge at the start of a season. 

I’m sure the signings will come though!…..I hope 😅

We then went on to win 2 of our next 33 games :lol: 

2 hours ago, Diamonds02 said:

But he watched them in the uefa youth league and seen that they did fit the style. So how is it nonsense?

Sorry but the key thing here is youth league. They’re young boys, unproven at senior level and we’re relying on them. Regardless of resources, you don’t see Arbroath, Morton or Partick signing laddies?

I was talking to a friend trying to work out the last time we had a decent run in the Scottish Cup or League Cup was and I think the last time we made the last 16 of either was losing to Dundee United in the League Cup in 2011. I knew we'd been rotten in the cups recently but that's a dreadful record. Definitely well overdue a cup run, so hopefully we can get past Ross County.

Everyone is totally entitled to their own opinion, that's the beauty of this forum!

With that said, here's my tuppence worth.

I'm as frustrated as anyone about the lack of signings, especially since we're night and day away from the club we were 5-6 years ago both in terms of on and off the field, I just feel we're 2 cracking signings away from getting that feel good factor carrying on again.  The league cup campaign was ultimately as successful as it could have been (so far) results and financial wise, so again, buys slightly more time and funds (IMO of course).  There will be a lot of if's and but's and I've absolutely no doubt there will have been offers made and probably still offers on the table for players who like Telfer last year will be looking for a better deal than Airdrie.

I mentioned previous, I won't moan until it costs us, but we can all see the perils of firing into a season with 4 defenders, a level above where a lot of these guys have operated consistently in the last few years, and I can totally see where the pessimism is coming from but we'll reserve judgement for a few weeks.  I'm not too enamoured with the lack of signings, but I'll still be in Dunfermline.

*Disclaimer* I'm absolutely not a happy clapper

7 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Sorry but the key thing here is youth league. They’re young boys, unproven at senior level and we’re relying on them. Regardless of resources, you don’t see Arbroath, Morton or Partick signing laddies?

Ok Partick fair enough but I think we’re in a far better position than Arbroath and don’t see anything between us and Morton. Then you look at Dunfermline who have basically the same team with 2 of their best players out injured. Are Inverness in a much better position than us? 

Most of the league are in a very similar position to us so I still see no reason to panic at this stage.

17 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

There two youngsters that jobs knocked back 500k each for them both 

1 hour ago, Diamonds02 said:

Ok Partick fair enough but I think we’re in a far better position than Arbroath and don’t see anything between us and Morton. Then you look at Dunfermline who have basically the same team with 2 of their best players out injured. Are Inverness in a much better position than us? 

Most of the league are in a very similar position to us so I still see no reason to panic at this stage.

Arbroath are a consistent championship club who have an average championship side at present - we have a league 1 team. 

Morton, like Arbroath, have the players who are proven at championship level - we have a league 1 team. 

Dunfermline trumped league 1 last year whilst only losing 1 game. On that stat alone, they’re championship ready - we have a league 1 team. 

Inverness are also in a far better position that us. They have the squad we don’t. 

Edited by Diamond1924

15 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Arbroath are a consistent championship club who have an average championship side at present - we have a league 1 team. 

Morton, like Arbroath, have the players who are proven at championship level - we have a league 1 team. 

Dunfermline trumped league 1 last year whilst only losing 1 goal. On that stat alone, they’re championship ready - we have a league 1 team. 

Inverness are also in a far better position that us. They have the squad we don’t. 

Sorry I’m just not seeing the superiority of these teams that you are.

IMG_2115.jpeg

IMG_2116.jpeg

IMG_2117.jpeg

Our squad is paper thin. I was shot down as being negative by a number of posters for complaining about the lack of signings a couple of weeks ago. Don't see many of them piping up about it now. This squad as it stands is nowhere near good enough.

So basically since the dramatic shoot out to finally get promotion to the championship,  we have signed one player Todorov....    O Connor and Aiken were already loaned no matter what league we were in...  

As stated above squad depth and basically the 5 sub rule is going to kill us,  we played Inverness off the park for 45 mins then Dodds played all 5 subs early and turned the game admittedly we were tiring (due to no bench options). Whether Dunfermline or Morton have thin  squads also is nothing to admire or aspire to,   we were 3 players short not including Devenney (what's happening there) and there is no real traction signing wise due to the fact a lot of players have went to Ireland or old firm 21s not getting loan players the same (is this spiteful due to the vote) this close season and everyone is falling over themselves in a very shallow talent pool, no doubt you end up paying over the odds for players you need but don't really want..

Remember the Falkirk game when DJ played we were anticipating a talented understudy to Rae,  Start of the next season and nothing, with Hutts at this time gloving up for the Dunfermline game..

Surely the club or Rhys are not asleep at the wheel..

I know we can still sign contracted players till end of August and loanees till end of September,  that's not really the point though is it....

Looking forward to our Manager, Assistant manager,  First team coach and Goalkeeper coach all starting on Saturday, surely this must be some sort of record..

Like others, I’m disappointed that signings haven’t materialised in the past couple of weeks but I still don’t get the panic. Why? There’s no way, no chance in hell, that Rhys and Dycey will be comfortable with us having 4 recognised defenders for the season. Will this be sorted for Saturday? Probably not, but that’s hardly a disaster. Someone else said it but we are literally 2 or 3 players away from a squad that will be competitive this season - that isn’t an insurmountable challenge by any stretch, even at this stage in a season.

I get that it’s a forum for discussion and everyone has a right to air their views - I think it’s important and good in some ways that we all look at things differently but I just can’t buy the negativity of some, it’s mad to me. And those trying to point score with ‘see, told you we don’t have a big enough squad’ before a ball has even been kicked in the league? Come off of it.

40 minutes ago, Passionate said:

So basically since the dramatic shoot out to finally get promotion to the championship,  we have signed one player Todorov....    O Connor and Aiken were already loaned no matter what league we were in...  

As stated above squad depth and basically the 5 sub rule is going to kill us,  we played Inverness off the park for 45 mins then Dodds played all 5 subs early and turned the game admittedly we were tiring (due to no bench options). Whether Dunfermline or Morton have thin  squads also is nothing to admire or aspire to,   we were 3 players short not including Devenney (what's happening there) and there is no real traction signing wise due to the fact a lot of players have went to Ireland or old firm 21s not getting loan players the same (is this spiteful due to the vote) this close season and everyone is falling over themselves in a very shallow talent pool, no doubt you end up paying over the odds for players you need but don't really want..

Remember the Falkirk game when DJ played we were anticipating a talented understudy to Rae,  Start of the next season and nothing, with Hutts at this time gloving up for the Dunfermline game..

Surely the club or Rhys are not asleep at the wheel..

I know we can still sign contracted players till end of August and loanees till end of September,  that's not really the point though is it....

Looking forward to our Manager, Assistant manager,  First team coach and Goalkeeper coach all starting on Saturday, surely this must be some sort of record..

Hutts isn’t playing on Saturday we have an Emegency loan coming in plus we are still looking at a another backuo keeper 

17 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Hutts isn’t playing on Saturday we have an Emegency loan coming in plus we are still looking at a another backuo keeper 

Sorry wasn't aware that a keeper was coming in on loan,   how many players do you think we need to be competitive  in this league, I know a ball hasn't been kicked etc,   but us old hats know this is a very tough league...

7 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Sorry wasn't aware that a keeper was coming in on loan,   how many players do you think we need to be competitive  in this league, I know a ball hasn't been kicked etc,   but us old hats know this is a very tough league...

A lot of secrets ,looks like we will be seeing Turner ,McInroy again this season ,