Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

7 hours ago, AJ77 said:

I get your point, but I’m struggling to see any experienced players still kicking about looking for a club, bar wotherspoon. Would be really surprised to see any of our remaining signings be an experienced head, also wouldn’t be surprised to see Justin Devenny back.

Charlie Mulgrew?

Just hoping he doesn’t end up at Firhill 

On 27/08/2023 at 10:05, Jack Reed said:

Sometimes moaning is mistaken for concern  for the team ,and to suggest some of us will not be happy with Airdrie winning is bad to say the least,I was disappointed that we did not sign Smith or another proven player ,the young lads are doing great but there is a limit to what you can expect from them ,

2 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

We've done our best to keep it an arsehole free squad. That's one name I'd gladly not see near the team if I'm honest

Not just Mulgrew, McCabe as well as looking to bring in and develop young talent has already said that any signing has to be someone who will fit in with his style of play and also fit into the dressing room. He absolutely will not accept anyone with an attitude or thoughts that they are bigger than the team (see Ben Wylie as a recent example) and I applaud that stance. The togetherness of that squad is there for all to see and we don't need some arsehole, no matter how good or experienced disrupting that. The same goes for anyone who has had disciplinary issues in the past .

22 hours ago, AJ77 said:

I get your point, but I’m struggling to see any experienced players still kicking about looking for a club, bar wotherspoon. Would be really surprised to see any of our remaining signings be an experienced head, also wouldn’t be surprised to see Justin Devenny back.

Probably more than we all think as this was posted on twitter. Most, if not all probably out with our price range though.

Sam Walker, Michael Smith, Jack Fitzwater, Ryan Edwards, Jordan Marshall, Gary Mackay-Steven, Robert Snodgrass, Sean Goss, David Wotherspoon, Steven Fletcher, Alex Jakubiak.

20 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Probably more than we all think as this was posted on twitter. Most, if not all probably out with our price range though.

Sam Walker, Michael Smith, Jack Fitzwater, Ryan Edwards, Jordan Marshall, Gary Mackay-Steven, Robert Snodgrass, Sean Goss, David Wotherspoon, Steven Fletcher, Alex Jakubiak.

Yeah surprised when I see that since this morning, think all of they guys would be out of our price range though.

58 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I was actually thinking about Gary Mackay-Steven the other week when I saw him being released.

I'll always remember him scoring a mad goal down at Morton in the Scottish cup and then a Jamie Stevenson rattling in another bizarre goal in a 2-2 draw.  we got pumped in the replay IIRC.

I remember he rocked up at a reserve game and he scored one of the best goals I have ever seen, he picked the ball up from inside his own half skipped by 5/6 players then smashed in from 30 yards.

He used to get some stick from fannies on The Stomp saying he is a sand dancer and when he got his move they said he wouldn't cut it at Dundee United.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

On the price range part here, if they are on £0 a week and we are a few games into the season where everyone will have spent their budget, surely they could become affordable?

2 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

I remember he rocked up at a reserve game and he scored one of the best goals I have ever seen, he picked the ball up from inside his own half skipped by 5/6 players then smashed in from 30 yards.

He used to get some stick from fannies on The Stomp saying he is a sand dancer and when he got his move they said he wouldn't cut it at Dundee United.

guy was a class act the minute he showed up.  There was a reason he lasted 6 months and moved up the way.  The fact is, he then went higher, and has continually played at the highest level in the country for years. Out of that list I think he'd probably be the most likely (attitude wise) I'd take.

1 minute ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

guy was a class act the minute he showed up.  There was a reason he lasted 6 months and moved up the way.  The fact is, he then went higher, and has continually played at the highest level in the country for years. Out of that list I think he'd probably be the most likely (attitude wise) I'd take.

Yeah he was great, i think he only came here as a favour/for fitness as he had a lengthy lay off at the time for Liverpool.

3 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

On the price range part here, if they are on £0 a week and we are a few games into the season where everyone will have spent their budget, surely they could become affordable?

You'd think, but equally why have they not signed anywhere yet? Is it because they've had offers but want more so are holding out in the knowledge that some club(s) / manager(s) will become more desperate and pay through the nose? Are they carrying injuries, known for having an attitude issue etc.? 

Lots of variables no doubt but when we eventually signed Telfer late on last season, I doubt he'd have signed for less than we originally offered him. 

2 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

Yeah he was great, i think he only came here as a favour/for fitness as he had a lengthy lay off at the time for Liverpool.

Yep, I'm sure he came for half a season, then signed a new deal at the start of the next season but included the caveat if a fulltime higher league team came in for him, he could go.  Would be interesting to see how he done in this team or if he even fit in.  Could be the wide player answer over Josh and Lewis.

GMS is exactly the type of player I'd be avoiding - he hasn't played a game since early October last year, and only played 5 games before that last season. We play a very high energy type of football which relies on the wide players putting a huge shift in, he's never been the most reliable fitness wise or particularly great at the defensive side, and he's 33 in a couple of days so that's hardly going to improve now. He'd be asking for high wages by our standards and it would be a complete lottery what performances (and how many) we got in return. That's the case to some extent with all signings obviously, but the risk far outweighs the reward with a signing like that in my opinion. I think we've more than enough experience in the squad and would rather any money was put towards younger, hungrier players than throwing money at older guys who don't fit the profile of a player who'd fit into our team.

2 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

GMS is exactly the type of player I'd be avoiding - he hasn't played a game since early October last year, and only played 5 games before that last season. We play a very high energy type of football which relies on the wide players putting a huge shift in, he's never been the most reliable fitness wise or particularly great at the defensive side, and he's 33 in a couple of days so that's hardly going to improve now. He'd be asking for high wages by our standards and it would be a complete lottery what performances (and how many) we got in return. That's the case to some extent with all signings obviously, but the risk far outweighs the reward with a signing like that in my opinion. I think we've more than enough experience in the squad and would rather any money was put towards younger, hungrier players than throwing money at older guys who don't fit the profile of a player who'd fit into our team.

He'd probably be the cheapest on that list given the facts you've pointed out.

Add Strapp, East & O'Reilly and there's a lot of Agents playing poker.

23 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I’ve never expected us to sign him but this is something I’ve thought about Wotherspoon too. He’s a good player but I don’t think he really fits the wide forward roles we have, which require a huge amount of running and energy as you say. 

Ultimately I think most of us would love Airdrie to sign a few proven Championship players at a good age but most clubs in this league are looking for the same thing and unfortunately we’re probably at the bottom of the pile for that. Some of our best recruitment over the last few years has been unfancied signings who’ve done ok at similar/lower level clubs but through good coaching and a new environment have developed into very good players for us (Watson, ATS, Frizzell, McGill etc.). If any new signings aren’t youngsters then I think we’re more likely to sign players like that than GMS, Wotherspoon or Mulgrew and we're probably better off for it.

27 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Totally agree with these points. My recollection of GMS was of a talented young guy who used us to bring his fitness up. In my opinion he only really showed up for us in games like the Morton cup game where he could put himself in the shop window. This is not a wholly negative comment on him however as most players would have done the same. And as others have said, the club and team do not need this type of signing going forward as it does not benefit us in the slightest.

39 minutes ago, Diamond72 said:

Totally agree with these points. My recollection of GMS was of a talented young guy who used us to bring his fitness up. In my opinion he only really showed up for us in games like the Morton cup game where he could put himself in the shop window. This is not a wholly negative comment on him however as most players would have done the same. And as others have said, the club and team do not need this type of signing going forward as it does not benefit us in the slightest.

No chance of GMS etc coming to us,  they will get a gig somewhere here or the state's,  GMS was rumoured to be on 3k a week,  Mulgrew probably more, let these guys do what they want..   The pond we are fishing in is probably the Euan East type,  for some reason he doesn't seem to have been picked up,   

It sounds like the McStravick signing was leaked by Linfield,  and we had to react on Sat evening as well,   still waiting on official confirmation (done deal though) are we expecting any more deals this week....  apart from left back cover we seem pretty ok, at the moment number wise., although the quality drop off from starting 11 to deep into the bench is still pretty worrying..