Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

12 hours ago, Mr November said:

I wasn’t there today but McCabe and McMaster has rarely worked together and I don’t think Frizzell works well as a number 10, he’s much better coming from slightly deeper. One of McCabe/McMaster (I think the latter for getting us higher up the park), Aiken as a ball winner who can go up and down and then Frizzell running from deep is a much better fit. 

I just think that we play better with McCabe at the side of, and McMaster, on, the pitch (at the moment, anyway). Aiken also took me a while to warm to, but he's a great wee player, a really good ball winner in the middle as well, another decent prospect coming through Hibs again.

8 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Just seen the goals back, McCabe at the 3rd goal is an embarassment, it's either a lack of effort, which from the manager is shameful. Or he's not fit enough, which isn't much better.

I mentioned before the game he looked very rusty against UoS in the cup, letting guys past him, lazy legs getting stuck out instead of a challenge. He's made an arse of that yesterday with Aiken on the bench, I'd rather he took it on the chin, and move on to the next game, folk might actually respect that a wee bit more.

7 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Found it funny the chat about your disciplinary record having ten red cards in a season when your team of the early 90s got nine. Would have been ninety under today's rules (though they would have adapted etc etc) 

Newspaper report from @The Thistle Archive via @stuthejag

1993-03-09.jpg

10 red cards is across McCabe's time as manager, 3 of which are this season. It was 'only' 7 last season. Still rubbish clearly.

As you say if the laws were applied like they are now the 90s team would end up with 8 players on the pitch every game. As mentioned our red cards now are mainly just for being stupid, whereas the 90s was more for physical violence!

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

8 hours ago, Passionate said:

We all love a scapegoat,  McCabe this week. Is it,    he was poor who got pass marks. ????  ,    We all know the centre of defence is painfully slow, we needed an upgrade this season we didn't get it,   backup centre half Cassidy is miles of it,  so it is what it is..

I don't get the McMaster, McCabe debate,  although they cannot play in the same team,    McCabe has far more attributes than McMaster,  we need Telfer back fit for more options,   actually our biggest problem is in the final third,  scoring goals keeps you in the league,  Gall most of this season is playing as a false 9,  relying on advanced wingers with pace,  McGregor and O Connor are ok but not championship level, that's fact....  we are the worst in the league with shots on target ,  we need to change it up,  why sign Todorov and only give him 15 mins and say he is pish as well, he needs a run of games is a proven championship goalscorer...

We are in the start of a tailspin there is no Clyde, Peterhead, kelty triple headers to get you out of a slump,  we have 2 weeks left of the backstop final last minute loan deals,  we have been waiting on quality signings all close season,  surely we need to prop this squad up with something..

Managers head is in the sand  ,should have got a few tips of a good manager yesterday ,High press  aye right ,apart from set up the fact is Arbroath have a lot better players ,and was obvious yesterday,

7 hours ago, Mr November said:

On your last point, I think McCabe is someone who can show up in the big moments. The goals in the Queen’s Park play-offs, the dominant performances in this years play-offs, scoring set-pieces at big times etc. 

He undoubtedly has more big attributes than McMaster but on the whole I think McMaster gives us better balance. We both harped on about it last season but in the league our best, and most consistent, runs were with McMaster holding. I haven’t seen the goals back from today but we conceded a ridiculous number of goals from just outside the box last season when McCabe was playing holding midfield. I haven’t noticed that to anywhere near the same extent with McMaster in there.

I’m a big fan of McCabe, he was my player of the season in 21/22 and think he still has plenty to offer, but I have thought for a while that McMaster makes us a better team in most games. 

I was surprised that McCabe and McMaster were paired together in midfield as Rhys said himself a few weeks ago that they played the same position. Having said that lets not hide from the fact that the game absolute passed McMaster by and as a young player he needs to adapt when he's played in a position slightly out of his comfort zone.

6 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

That is one of the most ludicrous things I've ever read.

Maybe the ref also tied lead blocks to McCabe's boots to stop him tracking back after Bird?  Or carefully sent Ricky Little off after booking him for a foul committed by someone else because he knew that Airdrie don't play well against 10 men?

An absolutely mental take.

No it was like Scotland  v England  ,you are a lot better team ,and know the game and are well organized,

8 hours ago, Passionate said:

we have been waiting on quality signings all close season,  surely we need to prop this squad up with something..

Not sure this is going to happen as Rhys mentioned "the budget" a couple of weeks ago in his pre match interview.

7 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

That is one of the most ludicrous things I've ever read.

Maybe the ref also tied lead blocks to McCabe's boots to stop him tracking back after Bird?  Or carefully sent Ricky Little off after booking him for a foul committed by someone else because he knew that Airdrie don't play well against 10 men?

An absolutely mental take.

You're taking one small part of a larger review I wrote and dissecting it in the most ludicrous way. Now that is a mental take. 

Just watched the goals back - What an absolute disgrace for the third. 

It’s not just a shite ball from McCabe but a total lack of desire that’s really annoying me. He absolutely flung Dycey and Rae in it with that sort of play and attitude. 

We all knew the back line was not the best for this league but that display was atrocious. Looked like an amateur team at times. Ballantyne maybe gets a pass mark but the rest were very poor. That O’Reilly from Hamilton should have been the first signing of the season but no… we stick with the most immobile defence in the league. 

I get that we can be open at the back due to our ‘all out attacking’ style but to lose 4-0 and not even have a shot on target is ridiculous. Big game next week to get this sorted out.

Just to clarify, I don’t mind losing when we’ve played well but losing 4-0 and also being generally piss poor warrants a slating!

29 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Not sure this is going to happen as Rhys mentioned "the budget" a couple of weeks ago in his pre match interview.

Maybe paying actual cash money and wages for a more "luxury" attacking player wasn't the smartest idea if that's knackered the budget and we're left with the carthorse brigade and Cammy at the back for the rest of the season!

10 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

It’s not just a shite ball from McCabe but a total lack of desire that’s really annoying me. He absolutely flung Dycey and Rae in it with that sort of play and attitude.

Realistically he was never catching him although admittedly it's not a good look. I'm sure he'll be cringing looking back at this.

The goals we lost were ridiculous, McMaster never tracked the runner (not for the 1st time this season, cost us the Ross County game as well) for the 1st. Watson was weak as pish for the 2nd, the 3rd is an individual error from the manager and ATS doesn't track the runner for the last.

Poor poor goals stemming from the basics of football, win your tackles and go with the runner!

20 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Realistically he was never catching him although admittedly it's not a good look. I'm sure he'll be cringing looking back at this.

The goals we lost were ridiculous, McMaster never tracked the runner (not for the 1st time this season, cost us the Ross County game as well) for the 1st. Watson was weak as pish for the 2nd, the 3rd is an individual error from the manager and ATS doesn't track the runner for the last.

Poor poor goals stemming from the basics of football, win your tackles and go with the runner!

It's not just the perception though (which is still hugely important as the manager), there was a fair chance the keeper saves it and there's a rebound, or the ball comes off the post like with Gabby's chance earlier, and we'd have no-one there to clear up. It's also the fitness issue, I assume he chucked it because he had nothing left in the tank, in which case he shouldn't still be on the pitch, and arguably shouldn't he starting. It's not like it was extra-time or in a silly amount of stoppage time, it was the 88th minute.

I'm also not at all convinced at Rae with one-on-ones. He is always lunging out at players with a split-step. This technique has already got him sent-off twice last season (with a few near misses too), and makes it so easy for players to go round him (or get him sent-off). It happened 3 times yesterday. The 2nd goal in particular is one where if he just stands up and makes the guy beat him I think it's unlikely that he scores, and the 4th too. He's a big guy with great reactions, surely you stand your ground and make the guy beat you? Which also removes the risk of being red carded.

There were clearly numerous other issues before it got to that point so I'm not blaming him solely for the goals, but I think he makes it far too easy for attackers in those scenarios, they know if they just knock the ball by him they are getting a goal or they are getting him sent-off.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Just seen the highlights to see as expected gal clearly onside for his goal, not saying would’ve changed the result but you never know. Don’t like blaming officials every week for our poor results but feel we’ve had a few decisions go against us early on this season.

5 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

It's not just the perception though (which is still hugely important as the manager), there was a fair chance the keeper saves it and there's a rebound, or the ball comes off the post like with Gabby's chance earlier, and we'd have no-one there to clear up. It's also the fitness issue, I assume he chucked it because he had nothing left in the tank, in which case he shouldn't still be on the pitch, and arguably shouldn't he starting. It's not like it was extra-time or in a silly amount of stoppage time, it was the 88th minute.

I'm also not at all convinced at Rae with one-on-ones. He is always lunging out at players with a split-step. This technique has already got him sent-off twice last season (with a few near misses too), and makes it so easy for players to go round him (or get him sent-off). It happened 3 times yesterday. The 2nd goal in particular is one where if he just stands up and makes the guy beat him I think it's unlikely that he scores, and the 4th too. He's a big guy with great reactions, surely you stand your ground and make the guy beat you? Which also removes the risk of being red carded.

There were clearly numerous other issues before it got to that point so I'm not blaming him solely for the goals, but I think he makes it far too easy for attackers in those scenarios, they know if they just knock the ball by him they are getting a goal or they are getting him sent-off.

I really fail to comprehend the suggestion that Josh Rae was in any way culpable yesterday.

9 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Just seen the highlights to see as expected gal clearly onside for his goal, not saying would’ve changed the result but you never know. Don’t like blaming officials every week for our poor results but feel we’ve had a few decisions go against us early on this season.

People directly in line with with it yesterday were convinced he was onside. Post match chat about whether it would have made any difference? Of course it does!

9 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

People directly in line with with it yesterday were convinced he was onside. Post match chat about whether it would have made any difference? Of course it does!

I would say so mate, considering it was 0-0 at the time n we had started the game pretty well

28 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I really fail to comprehend the suggestion that Josh Rae was in any way culpable yesterday.

I quite clearly said there were numerous other issues that led to the goals yesterday that are of more concern. And was also very clear that it's something I've noticed he has done for a while (hence being sent-off for it twice in half a season). But it's possible to look at goals and see numerous factors that led to it. You picked out about 4 players who were to blame, there's no reason why a goalie should be exempt. Again, he's by no means the primary cause, but I think the 2nd goal he makes it too easy by commiting himself, and arguably the 4th too.

Regardless of the shambolic nature of the defending that led to him being exposed, I think having a striker surround him 3 times in one match to tap into an empty net suggests that whatever he is doing in those situations is maybe not very effective. That doesn’t excuse the team for putting him in that position, but he has to deal with what he's presented with. 

9 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I quite clearly said there were numerous other issues that led to the goals yesterday that are of more concern. And was also very clear that it's something I've noticed he has done for a while (hence being sent-off for it twice in half a season). But it's possible to look at goals and see numerous factors that led to it. You picked out about 4 players who were to blame, there's no reason why a goalie should be exempt. Again, he's by no means the primary cause, but I think the 2nd goal he makes it too easy by commiting himself, and arguably the 4th too.

Regardless of the shambolic nature of the defending that led to him being exposed, I think having a striker surround him 3 times in one match to tap into an empty net suggests that whatever he is doing in those situations is maybe not very effective. That doesn’t excuse the team for putting him in that position, but he has to deal with what he's presented with. 

My view is that Rae had 0% blame with any of the goals. Forwards running clean through with only the keeper to beat are expecting to score.

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

I heard we still had budget to spend, that's why I said it,  very limited pool now though,  loanees from Premier clubs who want more wages covered than we would possibly want,     This has been done to death on here, over the summer, but Rhys has had a poor window again "only signing players that will be better than we have". Or " only signing players that are of the right attitude and can be developed and improved". Massive difference on the mantra is it not....   

In saying that, i think we have a lot more full time players than we think , are Spalding, Fellows, Cassidy, Watt etc full time,  we are running a reserve team as well this season, which will not come cheap, players wages, coaches, travel etc,   The big question is should we have went down that route this season,  should all the finance be forced into the first team for survival at all costs and think about about it for next season when we are a more established championship club,   one thing I will guarantee if things go Pete tong this season, them the reserve team will be scrapped anyway, no chance that expense can be run by a L1 club of our size..

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Did Fordyce cover himself in glory at any of the goals,  watch them back. 1st,  poor  3rd and 4 th well you decide,   McCabe is taking the hit on here,  the assistant mangaer is equally culpable