Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Fair play, I don’t think Morton or Raith were great but that’s two weeks in a row we’ve had hard games and have dug out a 1-0 win. We all knew last season we could blow teams away but I think we all questioned how we’d cope in tougher situations. We’ll have bad spells to come but the players, and McCabe, can take a lot of belief from the way they’ve bounced back from the Arbroath disaster. 

That was the kind of win I wasn't sure we were capable of, credit again to Rhys who has learned a lot in just over a season. I'm sure as injuries, suspensions etc hit we will hit a bad patch later in the season but if we can get 3 or 4 points from the next two games we will have a better first quarter than most people would have expected. 

Yep it was dug out and given the long grass it was great to see. 

So happy to see Lewis score and a battling style was needed but we did have some lovely passing moves.

So many late chances which would have let me relax.

We ended up with a strange shape and players after Todororov came on and in the dry stand I detected a few groans about Gabby going off! 

Thistle/Raith/Morton now beaten so we've got to be pleased at this opening spell. 

Great, great win today. Really good to break that away duck!

Good to also see we can grind things out.

Also a massive GIRFUY to the couple of ITK merchants on this thread (you know exactly who you are) who lambasted in the strongest terms those who complained/moaned about the lack of squad depth and consistently battered on about "quality signings" that now officially won't happen. Thank f**k last year's squad have risen to the challenge as you sanctimonious p***ks were very, very wrong.

Always enjoy a good tilting at windmills after scraping a 1-0 win against the team now bottom of the league. There's still a long way to go.

We have a good tally of points after 7 games, and if we get the same in the remaining 3 quarters we should be staying up; however performances like the ones against Arbroath remain a concern, and given that the opposition are more difficult this season to the point that we no longer have a free scoring team - the importance of being able to continue to grind out these 1-0 games is considerable, hence why strengthening the defense has been a key concern in particular.

3 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Also a massive GIRFUY to the couple of ITK merchants on this thread (you know exactly who you are) who lambasted in the strongest terms those who complained/moaned about the lack of squad depth and consistently battered on about "quality signings" that now officially won't happen. Thank f**k last year's squad have risen to the challenge as you sanctimonious p***ks were very, very wrong.

Wow! Easy boy!!  I am very happy to see the team being so successful in the opening few games.  We’re mid-table and have opened a decent gap on the bottom 2 for being this early in the campaign.  BUT, it is early.  Long, long way to go and I realize there will be an opportunity to strengthen in January but I can understand some of the initial calls for bringing in experienced signings.  I think it’s fair to say that Rhys is 

1. getting the best out of our younger players. There’s a lot of maturity for such a young team 

2. Last years squad have done a great job in making the step up to Championship level which a lot of us weren’t sure about. Janny case in point.  Was ok with him moving on, ok with him staying.  He’s definitely stepped up his game 

Every Championship team will have learned from their first encounter with us and yes, some will want a little ‘revenge’.  Undoubtedly the second meetings will be a lot harder and that’s when the experience may come in.  When you mention ‘quality’ signings, I for one had advocated for more experience to help us through the tougher fixtures.  Fair enough, I am happy to eat my words and this team continue to defy the odds but I’m sure some tough days are ahead.  I think some were too quick to call out the signing policies but understand the fans who wanted a different type of player to bolster the squad. I’ll just continue to support Rhys and the squad and have faith in what the management think is best.  Not a happy clapper but while we have this record there’s not too much to criticize.  So far, so good.  Long May it continue 

7 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

:D

I know what you're saying mate, but in my opinion they speak from the heart and do so with the best of intentions, as do you and others!  I disagree with their previous comments.. but 'sanctimonious p***ks?' 😬

They were indeed very very wrong though 🙂 👏

Let's face it, we are punching above our weight and have done very well to 'B' where we are 💎♦️

3 hours ago, Johnny Martin said:

:D

I know what you're saying mate, but in my opinion they speak from the heart and do so with the best of intentions, as do you and others!  I disagree with their previous comments.. but 'sanctimonious p***ks?' 😬

They were indeed very very wrong though 🙂 👏

Let's face it, we are punching above our weight and have done very well to 'B' where we are 💎♦️

Aye harsh words from a fellow supporter,

23 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

Am I the only one really happy with our squad? 🤣

For me there is no need for ‘quality signings’. I think we now have really good options all over the park and if you look at the bench today it was really strong. Even the defence now has strength in depth.

I'm happier since Hancock and Megwa were added, but personally would have had a preference for a bit more experience in our signings this season overall. Can't complain about where we are though.

1 minute ago, Kenny_m said:

Does no one think that @cb_diamond is perhaps, maybe, having a go at his good self.

I've read the post about 5 times and still can't really work out what he's getting at. We've just beaten 2 established Championship teams with 9 of the players we had last season, plus Aiken who was signed last season, and he's using that as a 'see, told you that we needed more players!' type post. Bizarre. I wondered whether it was a bit of embarassment at being shown that we don't actually need half a new team.

I'd have liked another couple of players (who doesn't) but my view was always to just wait and see what happens. So far we can't complain apart from the Abroath blip. It will still be a challenging season but I don't understand why some fans are desperate to find things to get annoyed about.

5 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I've read the post about 5 times and still can't really work out what he's getting at. We've just beaten 2 established Championship teams with 9 of the players we had last season, plus Aiken who was signed last season, and he's using that as a 'see, told you that we needed more players!' type post. Bizarre. I wondered whether it was a bit of embarassment at being shown that we don't actually need half a new team.

I'd have liked another couple of players (who doesn't) but my view was always to just wait and see what happens. So far we can't complain apart from the Abroath blip. It will still be a challenging season but I don't understand why some fans are desperate to find things to get annoyed about.

I do not know @cb_diamond but I believe he is being self deprecating.

Ooft FFS, life lesson about not posting when a few shandies deep there. Jesus wept! Apologies one and all and no idea why I decided to go as heavy handed on the ITK stuff (as much as it is a pain in the arse) 😬 Should have went to the game instead of the pub 😂😂

I’ll be honest, I thought losing the playoff final to Queen’s Park was a massive missed opportunity. The year before that the team that lost to Morton in the final was nowhere near good enough for the Championship but Murray’s last squad was excellent and we’d likely have kept Easton and Smith would still have been in contract. The guys that have stayed since then and the young lads brought in by McCabe have done so well and, while it’s still a long season to go and we should still be keeping an eye on the teams below us, we’ve had as solid a start as anyone could have hoped for in terms of establishing ourselves in this division.

10 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

No mate, in this instance I was just being a bit of a bawbag 😬

😂 Perfectly acceptable but without trawling through all your posts have you not been a tad critical about the depth of squad? The majority on here have, including myself.

Just now, Kenny_m said:

😂 Perfectly acceptable but without trawling through all your posts have you not been a tad critical about the depth of squad? The majority on here have, including myself.

I have indeed. To be fair I have always maintained that I believe the first 11 works for this level but am still worried about the resilience if the squad in the depths of winter. But they've done magnificently this far. No idea why I got so uppity about it last night. 😂😳

32 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Ooft FFS, life lesson about not posting when a few shandies deep there. Jesus wept! Apologies one and all and no idea why I decided to go as heavy handed on the ITK stuff (as much as it is a pain in the arse) 😬 Should have went to the game instead of the pub 😂😂

Good on you,on to Ayr next. week 👍👍