Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

6 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I reckon a fairly narrow four with Frizzell and McStravick wide, Telfer and McCabe in the middle. 

This is bang on I reckon

ETA if this was the formation we would also have options off the bench.

Edited by cb_diamond

26 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I reckon a fairly narrow four with Frizzell and McStravick wide, Telfer and McCabe in the middle. 

Looks a lot like this in the warm up. Weirdly tomorrow is a year to the day since McCabe randomly did something very similar against Montrose and Jamieson scored a hat-trick.

5 hours ago, Mr November said:

Looks a lot like this in the warm up. Weirdly tomorrow is a year to the day since McCabe randomly did something very similar against Montrose and Jamieson scored a hat-trick.

I preferred the result against Montrose tbh. 

I think today was another example of Gallagher and Todorov not really working together. Using the Montrose example, Gallagher dropped deep and Jamieson played on the defender’s shoulder, always looking to run in behind. Todorov can’t really do either of those things and thus wasn’t effective at all. I felt he often just got in the way today. I’ve said it before but I don’t think he’s great at winning high balls from the back, his main strength is attacking aerial balls from wide positions in the box. Playing a midfield four with ostensibly four central players, and two full-backs who are more defensive, isn’t going to get any use out of him.

The midfield changes didn’t really work either. Telfer deserved to start and I felt he did ok, if a bit slow on the ball at times. McCabe was alright but I felt we missed a ball-winner in there in Aiken. The wide players were never too involved in the game. Frizzell has been poor for a while now, whether that’s just poor form, adjusting to the higher standard of opposition or adjusting to the captaincy who knows. 

I thought Megwa had another decent game defensively, though his final ball when going forward is definitely lacking. For all we’re still a bit soft at the back, I think the wide areas going forward is our biggest problem at the moment. Megwa and Hancock have generally been solid defensively but I don’t think either have offered too much going forward. McGregor and O’Connor are quick but probably aren’t good enough technically to play every week at this level, McGill similar lacks a bit technically at this level and hasn’t got going for whatever reason, McStravick’s had some good moments but is he really a wide player? We badly miss Callum Smith, who even on an off day was a nuisance and his pace always offered an outball. We don’t really have that at the moment, which just feeds the overplaying things and turning back all the time.

I’m still more positive than negative about our start so far, we’re still 4th, but one point from nine against teams below us in the table is disappointing, particularly when we have a run of three very tough games coming up. I’m not expecting it on Tuesday night but it’s important we pick up a win over the next three games to avoid a really bad second quarter like last season. The league is starting to tighten up now, so need to make sure we keep a gap above 9th while we can.

Another narrow defeat with a big fat 0 in the goals column,  wants at the game today so won't comment ..

But I agreed with the changes to the team  we were and are getting a little stale...

Let's be honest Rhys came across an arrogant p***k after his we can win the league nonsense on BBC last week. (I have spoke to Rhys a few times and he is far from an arrogant p***k).   Don't know if that was a BBC special and cut and paste job of an interview...  That statement has done the players no favours,  we have a number of players who are playing above their level McGill, O Connor,  Mcmaster and Frizzell,   Frizz could do with a system change in order to help him,  

Rhys trusts his players and his system, this is where he needs to rein things in,  This passing from goal line to goal line is fine if you have athletic midfielders, we don't, and at home it looks worse with the size of the pitch,  we can still pass the ball about the back it doesn't have to be 18 yards out, how about passing it about 30 yards out, this pushing our midfield up and getting closer to our isolated front man, Frizz might be able to play more balls through the lines on the other teams half , than having to carry and protect the ball 35 yards out from his own goal all the time,  our chance creation and goalscoring is horrendous, we need to try something , or there will be more days like today, and the feel good factor and crowds will disappear like snow off a dyke..

The championship is a hard league, harder than you ever realise,  I hope Rhys swallows his pride for the United game on Tuesday, could this side recover from a tanking, time will tell..

Thought we deserved something out of that second-half. But, we gifted them their goal and were far too slow in getting going so can’t really complain with how it went.  You could have ran down from the stand and you’d have reacted quicker than our defence did to Wotherspoon. The second-half was probably the best we’ve played in a few weeks, but we need to be winning games like this. Especially with a tough run of fixtures coming up. 

Don’t really think the midfield changes worked either. Regardless of their quality we missed having proper wide players, and McGregor’s pace alone made a difference when he came on. Megwa was very good again defensively but we missed having a Ballantyne or Watson out there and their abilities or even just willingness going forward. Telfer was okay but I must admit I thought McCabe was poor. Don’t know if he’s just lacking match fitness but he was too slow on the ball and his final pass, which is ostensibly what he’s in the team for, was poor. Not sure he offers more than McMaster or Aiken at this point. Don’t think Todorov and Gal work well together. 

Should say also that we had a stonewall penalty denied and if that had been given who knows, maybe we’d have got a different result. 

10 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Thought we deserved something out of that second-half. But, we gifted them their goal and were far too slow in getting going so can’t really complain with how it went.  You could have ran down from the stand and you’d have reacted quicker than our defence did to Wotherspoon. The second-half was probably the best we’ve played in a few weeks, but we need to be winning games like this. Especially with a tough run of fixtures coming up. 

Don’t really think the midfield changes worked either. Regardless of their quality we missed having proper wide players, and McGregor’s pace alone made a difference when he came on. Megwa was very good again defensively but we missed having a Ballantyne or Watson out there and their abilities or even just willingness going forward. Telfer was okay but I must admit I thought McCabe was poor. Don’t know if he’s just lacking match fitness but he was too slow on the ball and his final pass, which is ostensibly what he’s in the team for, was poor. Not sure he offers more than McMaster or Aiken at this point. Don’t think Todorov and Gal work well together. 

Should say also that we had a stonewall penalty denied and if that had been given who knows, maybe we’d have got a different result. 

McMaster was our star man for a few games Manager no like him now,only my opinion that a good few players are simply not good enough,have got to bring in players or can't see where our next win will come from,High press high reward you need players to be able to play that risky game better than we have,Still manager knows best  ,aye right,not get a better chance of another 3points than yesterday,to be honest did anyone watching think we could score,big problem,Murray has been knocked on here but that's the kind of player we need, we would have scored yesterday ,

Not much in the game and I thought we deserved a point. Rhys made a few changes and tweaked the formation to allow Todorov and Gal to play together and whilst this seemed a popular decision amongst the fans, it simply didn't work and can't see that ever been repeated again.

McStravick, Gal & the manager were particularly poor. Struggling to work out how McStravick fits in despite his talent, Gal had one of those days when nothing stuck and Rhys simply didn't look fit enough. There was a clear energy boost after the introduction of McGregor & Aiken even though I was at a complete loss as to Aiken's omission even allowing for the fact that he didn't have a great game last week. Megwa again did really well and in my mind our best player yesterday.

The Frizz incident was right in front of the Airdrie fans and looked a clear penalty as the defender got wrong side of him but perhaps the highlights will clarify.

We're clearly struggling to find our best starting 11 at the moment and the continued absence of Ballantyne is a problem therefore I would assume we'll return to the 433 come 451 on Tuesday night and I would expect the manager, McStravick & Tod or Gal being replaced with Aiken, McGregor & possibly Gabby on the right as he probably offers more defensively in that position which will no doubt be needed for this match.

Really struggling to be positive atm, been sold a dream of this free flowing attacking football when it’s all it’s been is slow passing out from the back negative play. We could’ve played another 90 mins and not scored yesterday and Inverness are a pretty poor side. Have we actually had a good 90 mins this season? Performances have been dire, if we don’t up it the table is going to look very different next month. McCabe going on about winning the league and we’ve took 1 point from our last 3 games against inverness ayr n qp, I fear the worst for the next 2 games.

2 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Really struggling to be positive atm, been sold a dream of this free flowing attacking football when it’s all it’s been is slow passing out from the back negative play. We could’ve played another 90 mins and not scored yesterday and Inverness are a pretty poor side. Have we actually had a good 90 mins this season? Performances have been dire, if we don’t up it the table is going to look very different next month. McCabe going on about winning the league and we’ve took 1 point from our last 3 games against inverness ayr n qp, I fear the worst for the next 2 games.

The lack of goals is a major issue and I doubt that will change in the 2 games and these matches may require an old fashioned Airdrie Alex MacDonald beastie boys type of performance.

Agree that ICT will definitely be one of the 6 sides trying to stay out of that bottom 2.

Dundee United got to lose a game shortly!

2 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

The lack of goals is a major issue and I doubt that will change in the 2 games and these matches may require an old fashioned Airdrie Alex MacDonald beastie boys type of performance.

Agree that ICT will definitely be one of the 6 sides trying to stay out of that bottom 2.

Dundee United got to lose a game shortly!

Aye,your right Beastie boys needed, we are short very short of them,

We were utter dugmeat in the first half and probably deserved to go in one nil down. 

Second half was better. We got a lot of joy down the right side with Megwa (my MOM by a country mile) albeit the final delivery could have been better.

The penalty was a stonewaller for me and a disgrace that Frizz got booked for diving. That said, ICT seemed to have a decent shout for a pen at the other end.

There has a lot been made about our style of play this season. On the whole, I am enjoying the style of play, but I have noticed a big drop off in the urgency of our play as the season has went on. 

Rhys has been very vocal about 'playing through the lines' at the start of the season and I think we done that very quickly at the start of the season. However, I feel as the season has gone on, we have lost this ability. Now our possession play lacks any urgency, and is pretty f**king turgid at times.

No need to panic just yet but there's definitely a need for a bit more energy and movement going forward.

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

This is what I was thinking last week, you can look at that one of 2 ways - we're sitting 4th despite only playing well in a few patches of games so think how we'd do if we started playing well. Or you could say we've been fortunate, had some narrow wins and that we're now getting caught out. With every defeat it seems more like the second option.

It's been said a few times but teams have now worked us out which is why results are drying up a bit, you can see from the line-up yesterday that McCabe is trying to do something by changing personnel, if not so much the style. We also had a very settled side at the start of the season because it was basically the same team as last year, so while everyone else was trying to get a settled team to gel we were just picking up where we'd left 2 months previous and I think that explains the League Cup results and decent early league form. Now of course everyone has had time to get a settled team so that advantage has gone.

My biggest issue is that we seem to have the balance between risk and reward skewed. We take a lot of risks in our own third but as we progress up the pitch we become risk averse and decide to turn back and keep possession. That's going to result in conceding cheap goals and not scoring many, which is us at the moment. I've no issue with losing goals like last week if that's part of an overall quick passing style resulting in lots of chances, goals and attacking play, even if it means conceding a few. But it doesn't, it's slow and mechanical with a lot of risk and little reward.

The main issue in terms of personnel is that we just don't have the attacking threat we had out wide last season. McGill had the season of his life last year and is nowhere near it this year. And McGregor isn't at Smith's level. I'm not really sure what McStravick is meant to bring to the team. McGill has limitations but I think I'd rather he was kept in the team and hope he plays himself into form because the alternatives don't really seem to offer much.

One point from 9 is a poor return from three games which could/should have been winnable.  A tough few games coming up and we could easily be looking at 1 point from 18 in a couple of weeks time. Good that we’re still (somehow) 4th in the league but that will soon change the way things are going. The biggest concern is how the second top scorers in Scotland last season have turned into one of the lowest, even taking the higher level of opposition into account. If Gal doesn’t score I don’t know where the goals are coming from.

4 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

My biggest issue is that we seem to have the balance between risk and reward skewed. We take a lot of risks in our own third but as we progress up the pitch we become risk averse and decide to turn back and keep possession. That's going to result in conceding cheap goals and not scoring many, which is us at the moment. I've no issue with losing goals like last week if that's part of an overall quick passing style resulting in lots of chances, goals and attacking play, even if it means conceding a few. But it doesn't, it's slow and mechanical with a lot of risk and little reward.

Good point.