Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

3 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Made hard work of that today to say the least. Not a game I’ll remember for long but, through to the next round which is the main thing. Motherwell, Brora or Buckie away please. 

I've never actually been to Fir Park before so would really love to get Motherwell away in the cup and tick off a new stadium.

That or a home tie, I can't actually remember the last time we got a Scottish Cup tie at home.

Knowing our luck it'll probably be another trip to Cappielow.

9 hours ago, David Fernández said:

I've never actually been to Fir Park before so would really love to get Motherwell away in the cup and tick off a new stadium.

That or a home tie, I can't actually remember the last time we got a Scottish Cup tie at home.

Knowing our luck it'll probably be another trip to Cappielow.

You mean you don’t remember the 1-0 defeat at home to Edinburgh City we all wasted a couple of hours watching on a stream during lockdown? A dreadful game and essentially a replica of the other 1-0 defeat earlier that season.

As you say, we’re overdue a home game at this stage. We’ve had a few home games in the third round (notably the Serif Zengin Cove game) but I think the last home game we had in the fourth round was a 1-0 defeat to Dundee United in 2016, a game I think we played pretty well in. Looking back we had a decent team starting that one, Rohan Ferguson had one of his first games and was excellent, but the subs were Dylan Mackin, Adam Brown and Taylor Morgan :lol: 

Interesting month ahead for us. Two good away trips to Thistle and Ayr, a couple of home games against teams currently below us and then a trip to Queen’s Park. It’s hard to predict things in this league but I think 10 points would be a brilliant return from that. 

Some interesting decisions for McCabe to make too. We’ve returned to a back four for the cup games, possibly out of necessity more than anything else, but I’d like to see us go back to the three that worked so well against Raith and Arbroath. We looked very solid defensively without Fordyce in those games but it’s hard to see him dropping out again now he’s back in. Watson, Fordyce and ATS seem the most likely back three but they do lack pace and Hancock is an option there, with Megwa and Ballantyne are surely nailed on out wide. McCabe was very good against Raith bur Telfer and McMaster did well together once he moved back into defence, it’ll be interesting to see who he picks there too. Certainly plenty of options anyway.

2 hours ago, Mr November said:

Interesting month ahead for us. Two good away trips to Thistle and Ayr, a couple of home games against teams currently below us and then a trip to Queen’s Park. It’s hard to predict things in this league but I think 10 points would be a brilliant return from that. 

Some interesting decisions for McCabe to make too. We’ve returned to a back four for the cup games, possibly out of necessity more than anything else, but I’d like to see us go back to the three that worked so well against Raith and Arbroath. We looked very solid defensively without Fordyce in those games but it’s hard to see him dropping out again now he’s back in. Watson, Fordyce and ATS seem the most likely back three but they do lack pace and Hancock is an option there, with Megwa and Ballantyne are surely nailed on out wide. McCabe was very good against Raith bur Telfer and McMaster did well together once he moved back into defence, it’ll be interesting to see who he picks there too. Certainly plenty of options anyway.

Yes interesting team selection at the moment which got me thinking who are the definite starters, when all fit of course.

Rae - well there is no option anyway.                                                                                                                                                                                                  Ballantyne & Megwa - as you allude to they look nailed on certainties.                                                                                                                        Fordyce - whilst some are questioning him he's the only real centre back we have and still aerially the best defensively.                                          Frizz - Captain and still 1st pick in there but that could change as his form is a bit patchy.

Probably Telfer would be as well on current form but it wouldn't be a huge surprise with any others even though we all have our favourites.

Saw this doing the rounds on Twitter. What would be everyone’s team? Mine would probably be - 
GK - Josh Rae 
RB - Cammy Ballantyne 
LB - Paul Lovering 
CH - Callum Fordyce 
CH - Allan McManus 
DM - Marvyn Wilson 
CM - Dylan Easton
CM - Kyle Turner 
CM - Willie McLaren 
CF - Owen Coyle 
CF - Alan Gow

I know it doesn’t ask for subs but I’d probably go for - S. Docherty, Dunn, Frizzell, Varielle, Hutton, Smith, Gallagher. Could argue for Andy Ryan or Allan Russell ahead of Smith and Gallagher but they were both only here for a season (Ryan was technically on our books during 3 different seasons but you know what I mean) so Smith and Gallagher’s relative longevity and contribution to getting us promoted sees them included. Management duo of Sandy Stewart and McCabe so I can get the latter as a player too 😉

Not the best or most exciting of draws. Crowd or progression wise. But it’s winnable at least and our record at home against Premiership teams under McCabe is decent. 

That fucker David Wotherspoon will probably re-sign for them and score the winner against us. Again. 

Edited by airdrieman

15 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Saw this doing the rounds on Twitter. What would be everyone’s team? Mine would probably be - 
GK - Josh Rae 
RB - Cammy Ballantyne 
LB - Paul Lovering 
CH - Callum Fordyce 
CH - Allan McManus 
DM - Marvyn Wilson 
CM - Dylan Easton
CM - Kyle Turner 
CM - Willie McLaren 
CF - Owen Coyle 
CF - Alan Gow

I know it doesn’t ask for subs but I’d probably go for - S. Docherty, Dunn, Frizzell, Varielle, Hutton, Smith, Gallagher. Could argue for Andy Ryan or Allan Russell ahead of Smith and Gallagher but they were both only here for a season (Ryan was technically on our books during 3 different seasons but you know what I mean) so Smith and Gallagher’s relative longevity and contribution to getting us promoted sees them included. Management duo of Sandy Stewart and McCabe so I can get the latter as a player too 😉

Think I must be slightly younger than yourself as a few of them I'm too young to remember some of Gow, Coyle etc.

GK - Josh Rae 

RB - Cammy Ballantyne

CB - Liam Lindsay

CB - Callum Fordyce

LB - Paul Lovering 

CM - Dylan Easton

CM - Ross Docherty

CM - Kyle Turner

RW - Andy Ryan

ST - Allan Russell 

LW - Willie McLaren

Subs - Hutton, Gasparatto, Barr, Bain, Frizzell, Gal, Russell, Smith, Fraser

Edited by AJ77

22 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Stinking draw, they'll bring a crap support, we're more likely to lose than win. Rubbish.

What counts as a crap support? Saints regularly bring a really good away following in the Scottish cup and I don’t see this being any different. First game after the winter break, ground we’ve not been at in a while and a winnable/interesting tie. 

15 minutes ago, Widge said:

What counts as a crap support? Saints regularly bring a really good away following in the Scottish cup and I don’t see this being any different. First game after the winter break, ground we’ve not been at in a while and a winnable/interesting tie. 

In that your average away crowd (and crowd generally if we're  being honest and you exclude your 4 yearly full houses from the bigot brothers) is roughly equal to or less than probably almost half of the teams we play in the championship (and even Falkirk last year), so therefore despite the fact that there will be slightly more in the home end than usual, the gate split for the cup will mean we will absolutely make more money from the visit of Thistle the following week than we will from the cup game. Thistle will also absolutely bring more fans.