Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

26 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Gallagher’s been fine and is the least of our issues going forward. He still has his moments (hopefully that one from a yard out on the opening day was his bad miss for the season out the way) but we’re not going to sign anyone better on our budget and I think he’d improve about half the teams in this league. 

If you create chances for him he’ll score goals, we’ve seen that across every season he’s been here. I don’t think he’s a particularly amazing finisher but his movement and anticipation in the box is brilliant, get the ball into those areas and he’ll score. His link-up play is really important for us too, dropping deep to collect the ball and move it wide. 

You’re right about McCabe though @Jack Reed. He was very good in midfield against Raith and then strolled it when he moved back into defence in that game and against Arbroath. As I said on Saturday, I worry our midfield without Aiken are a bit too slow to play a very expansive three man midfield in this league. Having an extra man in there seemed to suit McCabe and Frizzell in particular. 

Glad I was right on something ,

On 03/12/2023 at 16:45, cb_diamond said:

I won't go back to the broken record I was in July/August about our terrible squad depth outwith the first picks but feel there needs to be an effort to strengthen in January. I may be alone in this but I wouldn't be gutted if O'Connor went back to Hibs to get loaned out further down the pyramid, which is very cl arly his level. Also agree about how utterly disappointing Gabby has been at this level. He's been found out badly. Particularly  as I assume that he will be one of the highest earners having resigned in the summer after a long negotiation. 

I don't agree that's the case at all. I think what we're lacking is attacking quality in the starting 11, not depth in the squad. There's not some massive drop off from Gallagher to Todorov, or between any of the wide options McGill, McGregor, McStravick or O'Connor (perhaps excepted). I think we could play any front 3 from all our options and it wouldn't really make much difference. We also have loads of options in midfield and the defence has coped well with injuries/suspensions.

I think we are missing a quality number 10 and at least one quality, or majorly on-form (like McGill last season), wide player and we'd be a cracking team. Unfortunately they are the positions along with striker which require the most money and we don't really have it. The hope is that the likes of McStravick and McGregor will develop into that, and that McGill regains his form somewhat.

7 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I don't agree that's the case at all. I think what we're lacking is attacking quality in the starting 11, not depth in the squad. There's not some massive drop off from Gallagher to Todorov, or between any of the wide options McGill, McGregor, McStravick or O'Connor (perhaps excepted). I think we could play any front 3 from all our options and it wouldn't really make much difference. We also have loads of options in midfield and the defence has coped well with injuries/suspensions.

I think we are missing a quality number 10 and at least one quality, or majorly on-form (like McGill last season), wide player and we'd be a cracking team. Unfortunately they are the positions along with striker which require the most money and we don't really have it. The hope is that the likes of McStravick and McGregor will develop into that, and that McGill regains his form somewhat.

Aye,just got to hope that manager gets best out players we have ,starting on Sat would be great,

On 03/12/2023 at 21:07, Diamonds02 said:

Definitely agree about O’Connor but I actually think gabby will come good this season eventually. He’s not really been able to get a proper run of games together with his injuries. I honestly think it’s more the change to the style of play from last season that suits him a lot less rather than him simply not being good enough. I think if we were as direct as we were last year he’d have a decent amount of goals and assists.

Hope you're right about Gabby, he needs to do something fairly soon to get in tune with the team.

27 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Couple of points: 

There is a major drop off between Gal and Tod, that drop off is that one is a striker who scored the vast majority of the goals in the team so far this season, the other is a striker that barely scores ever. That's significant.

In terms of McGill, McGregor, McStravick and O'Connor, one of these things is not like the others. I'm pretty sure Magic is the only one who would get near any other first XI in the league. O'Connor wouldn't even get a game at the top end of the league below. The other two just don't cut the mustard currently 

Our midfield contains a couple of decent players, but they really haven't set the heather on fire apart from in spells (Dean first couple of games, Aitken the five games or so until his injury, Friz in spells generally)

Defensively we have two great full backs, but our full back cover is also our CD cover and a huge step down in quality (eg Watson, Hancock). At CD we have great experience but possibly the slowest CD partnership in the league irrespective of which combo plays.

Again not being a naysayer, we have a decent nucleus, but suggesting we have a squad good enough for a full championship campaign is miles off the mark.

7 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Couple of points: 

There is a major drop off between Gal and Tod, that drop off is that one is a striker who scored the vast majority of the goals in the team so far this season, the other is a striker that barely scores ever. That's significant.

In terms of McGill, McGregor, McStravick and O'Connor, one of these things is not like the others. I'm pretty sure Magic is the only one who would get near any other first XI in the league. O'Connor wouldn't even get a game at the top end of the league below. The other two just don't cut the mustard currently 

Our midfield contains a couple of decent players, but they really haven't set the heather on fire apart from in spells (Dean first couple of games, Aitken the five games or so until his injury, Friz in spells generally)

Defensively we have two great full backs, but our full back cover is also our CD cover and a huge step down in quality (eg Watson, Hancock). At CD we have great experience but possibly the slowest CD partnership in the league irrespective of which combo plays.

Again not being a naysayer, we have a decent nucleus, but suggesting we have a squad good enough for a full championship campaign is miles off the mark.

Reality at last,

1 minute ago, cb_diamond said:

Couple of points: 

Gal is a better player than Todorov, but I'm not convinced it's a massive drop-off in ability but in fairness we've not seen much of him to know (that in itself maybe tells us quite a lot about what McCabe thinks though).

With the attackers, I agree they aren't good enough, that's my point and what I also said after Saturday's game. But I don't see it as a 'lack of depth' issue as to me that implies that the first choice ones are much better than the rest, which I don't believe to be the case. McStravick has shown some nice moments and seems to be gradually improving but I don't think he'd get near many other teams at the moment. I'd rather see him more centrally because he ends up on the fringes of the game a lot out wide, but I don't think that will happen.

With the midfield I'm not saying they are amazing. I was referring to the lack of depth point. We have 6 midfielders who are all basically of the same standard, if you asked 10 Airdrie fans who should start when fit you'd probably get 5 different combinations. The only game where we've had any issue putting out a good midfield was at Tannadice and that was with 4 players injured - no team would cope with that.

Whether we have a squad good enough for a Championship season depends on your definition of what 'good enough' means and whether it's the squad depth you are referring to or the starting 11 when most players are fit. I think the squad depth/size is fine and is easily on a par with similar clubs our level/budget - have a look at the issues Ayr had early season and especially Morton. I just think we lack an 'X factor' player/s in the final third that would swing these narrow games in our favour. Stick Dylan Easton and Lewis Vaughan in our team but keep everything else the same and suddenly we'd be a real threat, but we just don't have that level of player.

On Todorov, I obviously haven’t seen him play for you, but he’s someone many of our fans still feel we should have kept.

His move to you made sense in terms of the stature of club I expected him to sign for,  but in style of play I don’t think he’s exactly a perfect fit,   His assets are,  1. Predatory goal scoring and 2. Holding the ball up.

Your style of play completely removes the requirement for part 2.  Rarely are you punting the ball up for the big man to win.   The first part any side will want, but again it’s not as important when you’re looking to score the so called perfect goal through integrate passing over getting it wide and putting in into the box. 

On the weaknesses side, on top of the lack of passing he’s slow as f**k, which in a side like yours who I think counter very well will show up badly.

TL/DR:   His assets are not yours. His weaknesses show up badly in your system.

Edited by parsforlife

13 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

On Todorov, I obviously haven’t seen him play for you, but he’s someone many of our fans still feel we should have kept.

His move to you made sense in terms of the stature of club I expected him to sign for,  but in style of play I don’t think he’s exactly a perfect fit,   His assets are,  1. Predatory goal scoring and 2. Holding the ball up.

Your style of play completely removes the requirement for part 2.  Rarely are you punting the ball up for the big man to win.   The first part any side will want, but again it’s not as important when you’re looking to score the so called perfect goal through integrate passing over getting it wide and putting in into the box. 

On the weaknesses side, on top of the lack of passing he’s slow as f**k, which in a side like yours who I think counter very well will show up badly.

TL/DR:   Is assets are not yours. His weaknesses show up badly in your system.

That makes a lot of sense. I think it was the type of signing where you think 'we need a Plan B' and he'll be it. In reality we hardly ever go to Plan B. A bit like our game against yourselves with 9 men last year it's generally Plan A and then more of Plan A.

That said, in 3 or 4 games this season he's been brought on and had good chances to score late on to rescue a point or win a game and not taken them. So although we're clearly not set-up to play to his strengths he's still had opportunities to do what he was signed for.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

19 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

That makes a lot of sense. I think it was the type of signing where you think 'we need a Plan B' and he'll be it. In reality we hardly ever go to Plan B. A bit like our game against yourselves with 9 men last year it's generally Plan A and then more of Plan A.

That said, in 3 or 4 games this season he's been brought on and had good chances to score late on to rescue a point or win a game and not taken them. So although we're clearly not set-up to play to his strengths he's still had opportunities to do what he was signed for.

Is it true the pen is out,any clues ,??

I think the frustrating thing for me is that Todorov was brought in despite McCabe saying that he only wanted to sign players who would fit in with his style. Everyone knew Todorov was a target man and would struggle to keep it on the deck. 

It has also become apparent just how ineffective Gallagher and McGill have been in the championship. Hate to say it but league 1 is probably their standard. 

19 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

It has also become apparent just how ineffective Gallagher and McGill have been in the championship. Hate to say it but league 1 is probably their standard. 

McGill I'll give you, he looks lost in the championship but the ineffective Gallagher has more goal involvements than Craig Wighton, Lewis mcCann, Callum Smith, Mikey McKenna, Tony Watt and Dylan Easton, and is currently level with Cudjoe at Utd and Lewis Vaughan.

There's a lot of words I'd use for Cal Gal, ineffective in this team isn't one of them.

38 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

McGill I'll give you, he looks lost in the championship but the ineffective Gallagher has more goal involvements than Craig Wighton, Lewis mcCann, Callum Smith, Mikey McKenna, Tony Watt and Dylan Easton, and is currently level with Cudjoe at Utd and Lewis Vaughan.

There's a lot of words I'd use for Cal Gal, ineffective in this team isn't one of them.

Great post, still can't believe the stick a small number of our fans give to Gal. Best striker of our modern era!!

1 hour ago, Diamonds02 said:

I feel like I’m losing my mind, has Gallagher slept with the wives of multiple posters on here?

To say he’s not up to this level I feel is objectively wrong.

if he’s not then who is?

Not just Gal its the half  chances and sometimes easier to score chances we create  and miss ,could have been the difference of another 6points ,

5 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

And yet I’d have every single one of those players in my team over Gallagher this season 👍

He scored for fun in league 1 but has really struggled in the championship this season. 

Cherry picking players with mildly worse goal contribution stats than Gal’s doesn’t really say much. Can guarantee that all of those players will have more goal contributions than Gallagher by the end of the season 👍

Edited by Diamond1924

2 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

And yet I’d have every single one of those players in my team over Gallagher this season 👍

He scored for fun in league 1 but has really struggled in the championship this season. 

Cherry picking players with mildly worse goal contribution stats than Gal’s doesn’t really say much. Can guarantee that all of those players will have more goal contributions than Gallagher by the end of the season 👍

You can have an opinion, but you really can't "guarantee" anything.

5 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Great post, still can't believe the stick a small number of our fans give to Gal. Best striker of our modern era!!

We’ve had better individual players (Gow, Easton etc) but I think it has to be Fordyce or Gallagher for the best Airdrieonian of the modern era. Two guys who have given the club the best years of their careers, very rarely miss a game, never let us down when we need them and have been consistently very good since they joined. It’s mad that Gallagher is comfortably our record scorer in recent times and is still underrated.