Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

3 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Why,because I'm traveling every week to cheer him on , Running reserve sides ,academy sides I'd rather we promote our own players then maybe we could maybe generate some cash for our team .

I'd rather we were a sustainable championship side to be honest and the only way to achieve that (realistically) for us is to use the loan market. Whilst it would be nice to promote our own players from reserves/youth teams it seems they just aren't up to it at that level let alone first team championship. 

1 minute ago, Jack Reed said:

Why,because I'm traveling every week to cheer him on , Running reserve sides ,academy sides I'd rather we promote our own players then maybe we could maybe generate some cash for our team .

That's got nothing to do with the point though has it? You said you'd think he would show more commitment. Firstly he is a loan player so has no real say if Hibs want him back anyway, he has to do what his employers ask him to. He is a Hibs player and part of the deal with getting him is that we get a good player and Hibs get him out playing games. And he is extremely committed on the park, he's won 2 of the 3 available POTM awards since he has been here, so to try and make out that him potentially being recalled is a lack of commitment to Airdrie is absurd on numerous levels.

It's pretty clear that the reserve side has been of limited use so far. I don't think you can argue that it's a bad idea per se, as the whole idea is clearly to aspire to be a "selling club" with young players. However, the crop we have just now just aren't very good. 

Suggesting we shouldn't be using the loan market to it's fullest extent is very short sighted. We have only one outcome in mind this season and that is staying in the league. At this level to do it successfully you need quality loanees. Personally, I'm hoping for another one this month.

I would say that full back is the one place we have cover that can come in and not affect us too much. More important is to get the midfield working properly. On Saturday I felt Frizz stepped up his game in the second half and was making runs and just faster in his game with a more forward direction. That was the difference in the second half and we dominated. If we can get the best out of the players we have we will be much more effective going forward. McStravick has good touches but needs to get more involved and Frizz needs to be the one in charge and playing with confidence. Telfer is the one carrying us on the park and McMaster is doing his job well defensively stuck in the centre circle but can be effective going forward too and needs to be given a bit more freedom.

41 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

That's got nothing to do with the point though has it? You said you'd think he would show more commitment. Firstly he is a loan player so has no real say if Hibs want him back anyway, he has to do what his employers ask him to. He is a Hibs player and part of the deal with getting him is that we get a good player and Hibs get him out playing games. And he is extremely committed on the park, he's won 2 of the 3 available POTM awards since he has been here, so to try and make out that him potentially being recalled is a lack of commitment to Airdrie is absurd on numerous levels.

POTM aye seen some  funny  decisions on that ,over the past few weeks it's been near hand impossible to pick  POTM,your absolutely right commitment and loyalty means very little in football terms ,and in his case it's to his mother club  there is no doubt about that ,

54 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Personally think he will return to Hibs after today's game, go to dubai for the training camp, good chance Aiken will be be away as well,   and will probably loan us him back at the end of the window,  that happened last season to a player in League 1 last year, i think he played with Dunfermline (??)

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Personally think he will return to Hibs after today's game, go to dubai for the training camp, good chance Aiken will be be away as well,   and will probably loan us him back at the end of the window,  that happened last season to a player in League 1 last year, i think he played with Dunfermline (??)

The commitment I meant before all the lawyers come out again ,was simply we help their player improve they could help us when we are struggling with injuries,

16 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

The commitment I meant before all the lawyers come out again ,was simply we help their player improve they could help us when we are struggling with injuries,

I think the point was that Hibs have a massive player crisis in the exact position he plays...

Yours sincerely,

Lionel Hutz Esq

Edited by cb_diamond

5 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

What a difference 3 days makes, eh 😅♦️

100% and possibly even more importantly pretty much every other result in those two rounds of games has went in our favour. Everyone at the foot of the table lost today, while everyone below us took points off each other the other day. 

Splendid stuff.

This time last year we had just lost 5-3 at home to Edinburgh City and were mid-table in League One. What a difference to be sitting fourth in the Championship after a great win and performance. 

I think McCabe deserves a lot of credit for changing shape in the last three games. It was pretty clear that the 4-3-3 wasn’t working recently. He switched to a diamond against Morton and while we didn’t ever look like scoring we did play alright and looked pretty solid defensively. We went back to a 4-3-3 at Hampden and were miles off it but seemed to click when he went to a diamond with McGregor up front and dominated the last half hour. It worked really well today too, seems to get a bit more out of our forwards, allows us to move the ball quicker and we’ve been solid defensively too. Our crosses were excellent today, something we’ve done nowhere near enough of this season, if we can keep that up the goals from open play will hopefully come.

I’ve been critical of both, albeit with the caveat that our style of play hasn’t suited them at all, but diamond seems to get more out of Todorov and McGill in particular. I’d love for McGill to kick on a bit so hopefully this is the role for him. I’m warming to Todorov now we’re playing a style which suits him more and he’s much more of a wideo than I expected which is a good laugh.

Interesting factoid.  Back in 1979-80 when we achieved our first promotion to the Premier League, we had a miserable December, didn't win a game at all, could history repeat itself!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Mr November said:

This time last year we had just lost 5-3 at home to Edinburgh City

That was a horrible game, felt like we were never getting out of league one after that. Strange now to see Edinburgh looking like possibly going down to league 2.

4 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I think McCabe deserves a lot of credit

He does indeed, one of the similarities to a year ago is that form dipped badly in November / December and McCabe managed to pull things together. He seems able to adapt and cange things without panicking and to be able to keep the players with him when form dips, if he can keep us up this year he will have done exceptionally well in is first two seasons in management and I could see him get a chance elsewhere. 

As for today, great to get another win against a team below us, if we can match the results of QP, Arbroath and Inverness now until the end of the season we'll stay up with a bit to spare which would be great. I can see all three of those teams stregnthening this month though and all three have new managers so we'll need to get the pen out ourselves.

Great to see frizzell back to his best today. I’ve never bought the ‘just not up to this level’ shouts, think it was much more of a confidence issue than a lack of ability.

Everyone was good today although Hancock was my motm.