Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

2 hours ago, Mr November said:

Turner and Easton together is quite the thought. Someone needs to explain to him that Consilium players are meant to sign for Airdrie though!

Quite happy for Raith to strengthen as much as they can. We've only to play them once more in the league but everyone else (apart from Dunfermline) has to play them twice, so if they could strengthen and go on a run beating everyone else around us that would be grand. Points tallies from 4th down to 10th will be pretty close so every little helps!

I know we have them in the cup but I still see that as a bonus, plus we seem to have their number this season anyway so we'll still have a good shot at going through.

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Quite happy for Raith to strengthen as much as they can. We've only to play them once more in the league but everyone else (apart from Dunfermline) has to play them twice, so if they could strengthen and go on a run beating everyone else around us that would be grand. Points tallies from 4th down to 10th will be pretty close so every little helps!

I know we have them in the cup but I still see that as a bonus, plus we seem to have their number this season anyway so we'll still have a good shot at going through.

Agreed, good luck to Raith - hope they take good points from everyone although I still fancy a point against them at Starks.   Bold statement with KT signing - can see them splashing out a little to make a good run at this.  You don’t find yourself in this position too often and they have a real chance as DU showing their not invincible. 

for us I’m a little sad about Megwa and we’ll be in suspenders until next Tuesday when he returns home.  If Hibs want him out on loan he’ll be back pretty quickly, otherwise he’ll be a bench warmer which will be really annoying.  Feeling a little like McInroy from a couple of years ago when he left us for A*r Utd.  Same level of performances from a solid player.   Like others, can’t see too much in the way of signings for us in January but reinforcements in defence is a must.  Ballantyne out for several weeks is bad news, wondering if Hearts/Killie or the like have options for a loan(s)

From a Raith perspective, could Megwa not have fucked off to the Middle East a week before now 😂

He's a crackin player. He literally had our left hand side in his pocket. 

Makes me wonder how Murray never used his Hibs connections and brought him to us? 

Good luck with the rest of the season 👍

4 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

It's looking like strengthening is going to be extremely difficult given Rhys's comments in this article!

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/airdrie-boss-looks-keep-up-31792420

I read that and i take all of McCabes interviews with a pinch of salt ,  we have had a great week 3 wins and gave ourselves a bit of breathing space over the bottom clubs,  The facts remain we are the lowest scorers on the league away from home 6 goals from 9 games and 7 points from 9 games,  so that needs to improve second half of the season our home record is actually better than Raiths and United big difference is goalscoring and their away records are top class (apart from playing us). 

We are currently in 4 th place and the difference between 4 th and 8th in this league is about 140k,   I would think it would be worthwhile to strengthen in the right areas and give ourselves a chance we are currently there on merit...

8 hours ago, Passionate said:

I read that and i take all of McCabes interviews with a pinch of salt ,  we have had a great week 3 wins and gave ourselves a bit of breathing space over the bottom clubs,  The facts remain we are the lowest scorers on the league away from home 6 goals from 9 games and 7 points from 9 games,  so that needs to improve second half of the season our home record is actually better than Raiths and United big difference is goalscoring and their away records are top class (apart from playing us). 

We are currently in 4 th place and the difference between 4 th and 8th in this league is about 140k,   I would think it would be worthwhile to strengthen in the right areas and give ourselves a chance we are currently there on merit...

Don't disagree but it does look like any signings will be young and unproven rather than a O'Reilly, McInroy or Turner type. It's a route that's very difficult but lets hope for more Megwa's than Wylie's.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Don't disagree but it does look like any signings will be young and unproven rather than a O'Reilly, McInroy or Turner type. It's a route that's very difficult but lets hope for more Megwa's than Wylie's.

Ballantyne and Aiken back will be like 2new signings,hope see them sooner than later ,

10 hours ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

From a Raith perspective, could Megwa not have fucked off to the Middle East a week before now 😂

He's a crackin player. He literally had our left hand side in his pocket. 

Makes me wonder how Murray never used his Hibs connections and brought him to us? 

Good luck with the rest of the season 👍

Don't think Murray ever really leveraged his Hibs connection when with us either, other than brief loan spells for Josh Campbell and Innes Murray. Fair to say we've done well out of them though with Murray Johnson, Murray Aiken and Megwa all shining the last couple of seasons. Josh O'Connor has struggled to make the same impact, unfortunately. 

If, as what ours and Hibs Tweets say, and what the general chatter seems to say, he only misses Saturday's game (and the cup game if necessary) that's manageable. Any longer than that though and with Ballantyne still out injured that could be an issue. 

Edited by airdrieman

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Don't think Murray ever really leveraged his Hibs connection when with us either, other than brief loan spells for Josh Campbell and Innes Murray. Fair to say we've done well out of them though with Murray Johnson, Murray Aiken and Megwa all shining the last couple of seasons. Josh O'Connor has struggled to make the same impact, unfortunately. 

If, as what ours and Hibs Tweets say, and what the general chatter seems to say, he only misses Saturday's game (and the cup game if necessary) that's manageable. Any longer than that though and with Ballantyne still out injured that could be an issue. 

I'm not an Airdrie fan but I feel he'd be a big loss if Hibs did decide to pull him back from his loan. 

Due to his age if he was to be sold on by Hibs in years to come, would you guys not get a development payment from that? 

56 minutes ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

I'm not an Airdrie fan but I feel he'd be a big loss if Hibs did decide to pull him back from his loan. 

Due to his age if he was to be sold on by Hibs in years to come, would you guys not get a development payment from that? 

I don't think so. I think Hibs would be the only ones pocketing anything as he's their player.

I think the development fee thing only comes in when a player under 24 moves club at the end of contract for free (as long as he's been offered equal or greater terms of his existing contract by the original club).

9 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Hopefully this guy does us a turn!!

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/11775007/hibs-leeds-united-kris-moore-dubai-transfer/

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Well if he’s anything to go by previous Leeds United youth players they’ll be recalling Megwa in no time 😂

Now there’s a club who haven’t done us a turn. The McKays (though I’ll always have a soft spot for Jack for that Cove goal), Eoghan Stokes and Luke Lyons. Think Josh Rae was on the books at Leeds so they got one right eventually. 

Just had a quick peak at the Consilium site and it reveals that we currently have 11 players under their wing and another 7 that are currently, or have been on loan with us. I'm really unsure about this and are we spreading our wings far enough on the recruitment front or do we just ask them to find us a player?

11 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Just had a quick peak at the Consilium site and it reveals that we currently have 11 players under their wing and another 7 that are currently, or have been on loan with us. I'm really unsure about this and are we spreading our wings far enough on the recruitment front or do we just ask them to find us a player?

Hancock and Megwa don't seem to be with them so I'm sure we are looking elsewhere and not just within the agency. 

I wonder if we'll try and get Justin Devenny back from Palace on loan, I know we tried to put a loan back option in the deal in August but Palace wanted a look at him and review it in January, would happily have him back for the remainder of the season.

17 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I'm really unsure about this and are we spreading our wings far enough on the recruitment front or do we just ask them to find us a player?

I get what you’re saying, but ultimately the strategy has got us to our highest league position in over a decade, so I’m not sure now is the time to question it.

When we were signing dross like Jacob Esposito, Nico Sumsky, Taylor Morgan, Daniel Boateng, Joe Gorman and James Daly… that’s a time to question recruitment strategy.

42 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

I get what you’re saying, but ultimately the strategy has got us to our highest league position in over a decade, so I’m not sure now is the time to question it.

When we were signing dross like Jacob Esposito, Nico Sumsky, Taylor Morgan, Daniel Boateng, Joe Gorman and James Daly… that’s a time to question recruitment strategy.

Mainly just concern for the club,aye we are in a good position better than most could have hoped for ,but no reason not to try and strengthen the squad due to injuries and lack of a quality signing or two,great to look forward and upwards rather than down to were we just came from .would be a big 3points on Sat ,

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

Hancock and Megwa don't seem to be with them so I'm sure we are looking elsewhere and not just within the agency. 

I wonder if we'll try and get Justin Devenny back from Palace on loan, I know we tried to put a loan back option in the deal in August but Palace wanted a look at him and review it in January, would happily have him back for the remainder of the season.

Would take that.

2 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Also see that Shaun Byrne is staying at Raith by virtue of Dundee missing the deadline to recall him. Do we think Megwa would have a similar clause/deadline or am I being too optimistic?

With loans it's really done on an individual basis.   Some loan deals have all kinds of add ons.   Like if the player can be recalled at anytime or only in transfer window.  Some have guaranteed game time. Ultimately I'd think with our deals it pays long term not to break ties with any club we loan a player from. If he's their player and want him back then so be it.  I'd rather keep the good terms with hibs and maybe get a few more In the future.