Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

What a difference after years of being rubbish in the cups. The only team in the country to win all four League Cup games and then a good comeback against Ross County, only to fall short in extra time. Making it to the Challenge Cup final for the first time in 15 seasons, without playing a home game on the way and whatever happens next week, a great cup victory over St. Johnstone and a big game against Hearts on BBC One.

24 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Hoping for a TNS win tomorrow purely on the basis that I do not want to read an Airdrie v Falkirk cup final thread.

As dreadful as that would be, it would be a shame if we get to a final and then it has the atmosphere of a League 1 game against Montrose.

A final against Falkirk would be a big crowd (as I'm sure they'd tell us...) and another good payday.

Another great win tonight, having seen us win this cup 4 times before would be great to do it again. Still sticking with 8th place in the league being the benchmark we are aiming for but this has now been our best season for ages. Priority for me must e getting McCabe signed up on a longer deal, cant see him being here more than another season if he carries on with this type of form so at least we can ensure some compensation when he does go. 

I was figuring if we played TNS then the final would likely be in Falkirk.  If it’s Falkirk then most likely in Perth or Livingston? Not sure. 

brilliant result tonight and I thought we played well but really, RR were pretty clueless.  One thing for sure, I’ll be VERY nervous if we don’t go into the post season with Rhys on a new contract.  It’s pretty much a certainty that a bigger club will come knocking and without putting a curse on us, I’m almost sure we’ll find ourselves in a safe league position.  Still lots to learn for this young manager but undoubtedly someone will get him in on a longer contract hoping he’s the next Fergie 

11 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

I was figuring if we played TNS then the final would likely be in Falkirk.  If it’s Falkirk then most likely in Perth or Livingston? Not sure. 

brilliant result tonight and I thought we played well but really, RR were pretty clueless.  One thing for sure, I’ll be VERY nervous if we don’t go into the post season with Rhys on a new contract.  It’s pretty much a certainty that a bigger club will come knocking and without putting a curse on us, I’m almost sure we’ll find ourselves in a safe league position.  Still lots to learn for this young manager but undoubtedly someone will get him in on a longer contract hoping he’s the next Fergie 

The two Challenge Cup finals I’ve been to were both at McDiarmid Park but I assumed Perth was chosen because our opponents were Inverness and Ross County. If it’s us vs Falkirk then would Fir Park not be quite a reasonable shout? Or maybe Firhill?

If it’s TNS, Millennium Stadium

3 hours ago, Mr November said:

Hoping for a TNS win tomorrow purely on the basis that I do not want to read an Airdrie v Falkirk cup final thread.

It could be the biggest bin fire in history,   one only Steve McQueen could put out.

The last few finals have been on astro,  if Falkirk win , I can see the final being played at Livi,  Good luck to TNS ,  but an Airdrie v Falkirk final is lower league box office,....

Onto tonight's game where we controlled it pretty much throughout,  their were a couple of performances worth mentioning. Dean McMaster a player I haven't been as praiseworthy as others  towards,  he had a man marking job on Lewis Vaughn,  who is arguably one of the best players in the league,  Dean schooled him tonight...   The other was Charlie Telfer who again played Dylan Easton out the game, nothing fancy, simple one touch football and a cool head....

Nights like tonight, makes you think how far we have came from the dark days (not that long ago).   Let's enjoy this,  we deserve a wee turn.

I posted this in the March thread but will do the same here

All I will add to this is that us airdrie fans need to enjoy this whilst it lasts. McCabe is a class act and I can’t see him being round too long if he continues as he is. Best time supporting airdrie in a long time. Great feeling

I thought the half-time piece on the TV was really interesting and backs up what we've observed with McCabe. He came into the job with your typical 'philosophy' chat that all young managers have, and I remember his interview after being hammered 6-0 by Edinburgh when he was stubborn and seemed to refuse to accept that there was another side of the game that was just as important as the attractive football part. We then went on that really poor run contuining to lose stupid goals and something obviously clicked eventually that we had to be more adaptable and solid at the back. All the big scorelines got the headlines after that but it was games like beating Alloa 1-0 away and beating Falkirk and Accies 1-0 in play-off ties that showed how much we'd improved defensively. It was that which got us into the play-offs and promoted. We currently have the 2nd best defence in the league and have just conceded 1 goal in 5 games to Raith twice, ICT, St Johnstone and Partick which was unimaginable a year ago. All that while still trying to play an attractive style of football where possible and with pretty limited options in attacking areas.

Young managers with 'philosophies' appear all the time but virtually none of them last because they don't accept that you can't always play like that, and that you have to be able to be a strong defensive unit too. I think what gives McCabe a real chance in the game is that he clearly has come to realise this. Things could have turned out differently if he'd kept being stubborn after that Edinburgh game but he began to mix his idealism with realism and it's been great to see him evolve over the last season.

I still think our league position isn't as comfortable as it suggests, we have a lot of away games and it seems virtually everyone below us is making changes/improvements apart from Arbroath. If we can keep this run going for a few more games we should be fine, in some respects a quiet 7th place finish may be better than making a late burst for the play-offs and finishing 4th because it means he'll be here next season!

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

30 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I thought the half-time piece on the TV was really interesting and backs up what we've observed with McCabe. He came into the job with your typical 'philosophy' chat that all young managers have, and I remember his interview after being hammered 6-0 by Edinburgh when he was stubborn and seemed to refuse to accept that there was another side of the game that was just as important as the attractive football part. We then went on that really poor run contuining to lose stupid goals and something obviously clicked eventually that we had to be more adaptable and solid at the back. All the big scorelines got the headlines after that but it was games like beating Alloa 1-0 away and beating Falkirk and Accies 1-0 in play-off ties that showed how much we'd improved defensively. It was that which got us into the play-offs and promoted. We currently have the 2nd best defence in the league and have just conceded 1 goal in 5 games to Raith twice, ICT, St Johnstone and Partick which was unimaginable a year ago. All that while still trying to play an attractive style of football where possible and with pretty limited options in attacking areas.

Young managers with 'philosophies' appear all the time but virtually none of them last because they don't accept that you can't always play like that, and that you have to be able to be a strong defensive unit too. I think what gives McCabe a real chance in the game is that he clearly has come to realise this. Things could have turned out differently if he'd kept being stubborn after that Edinburgh game but he began to mix his idealism with realism and it's been great to see him evolve over the last season.

I still think our league position isn't as comfortable as it suggests, we have a lot of away games and it seems virtually everyone below us is making changes/improvements apart from Arbroath. If we can keep this run going for a few more games we should be fine, in some respects a quiet 7th place finish may be better than making a late burst for the play-offs and finishing 4th because it means he'll be here next season!

I would argue the other teams in the league are gambling and looking desperate by the number of signings. Whereas airdrie are pretty comfortable with our squad. There is a real togetherness and we now have players coming back from injury. Another wee loan signing might be in order. Reality is 8th is still the ultimate aim to help us build for next season

3 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I would argue the other teams in the league are gambling and looking desperate by the number of signings. Whereas airdrie are pretty comfortable with our squad. There is a real togetherness and we now have players coming back from injury. Another wee loan signing might be in order. Reality is 8th is still the ultimate aim to help us build for next season

No doubt they are gambling and desperate but some of those gambles will likely pay off. I'm not too concerned but our aim is still to avoid relegation for the time being. The proportion of our remaining games that are away is probably the thing that worries me a bit but last night's result goes some way to convincing me that we can turn our home form into away wins.

I've been impressed by the way he has the team working to stop the other team playing. When we lose the ball every player is focused on closing down the man on the ball but it is structured as a team. The player on the ball does not have time to look up and pick a good pass as there is an Airdrie player charging towards him and as the game goes on they become more and more rushed and their game falls apart. That is why we see the comments about other teams not playing well. It is because we have stopped them.

With all the worries about squad depth how good was it to see Cammy and CalGal coming on as subs. Shout out also for our new signing who looks like he has a bit of dig in him and nearly burst into the box at one stage. He looks like one of these players who the ball bounces off "lucky" same as Frizz. 

On 02/02/2024 at 09:06, cb_diamond said:

The RSM stats guy has been great this season. Doing excellent work if you post here fella!

Thank you , haven't been on here in a while. But I really appreciate that!