Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Certainly Megwa had a great spell just before his recall and seems keen to work again with Rhys.

It gives us a chance for a flexible back three/  four with Hancock and Megwa as wing backs, or full backs , and if Fordyce is fit then Watson can be trusted at CB rather than Rhys. 

Might well also be the chance to see Hancock at CB with Ballantyne on left. I don't want to be carried away but it has the style of Tierney and Robertson? 

It strengthens the squad although I still wanted  a CB .

Delighted Megwa is back, not a surprise to be honest, I was more shocked Hibs recalled him, they seemed to give into media pressure and seemed to treat the lad poorly when he played for Hibs.

As I say delighted he is back, But, with Ballantyne back and Hancock being arguably our best player, where will Megwa play.   Do we do a 'JamieBain' and push Hancock further up, personally think that would totally go against McCabes system....

Scoring goals will keep us in this league,  we haven't really found a solution with our recent signings Lyall (who should start) and Donnell who looks very leggy,  

This has been a highly enjoyable season where we all feel we belong again,    Let's finish the job..

Delighted to have Megwa back. We certainly lack in other areas but I’m not sure there’s many teams in this league where I’d swap our full-back options.

I’m not advocating for changing the shape from a diamond, which has worked so well recently, but we did start a defence of almost entirely full-backs in the first half hour at Kirkcaldy in the 1-1 draw. It looked oddly defensive on paper but we played something like this until Hancock went off injured and looked excellent for that short spell:

Rae
Watson - ATS - Hancock
Megwa - McMaster - McCabe - Ballantyne
Telfer - Frizzell
Todorov

Any word on Murray Aiken? That’s been almost four months now so fingers crossed he can play a part during the last quarter. It’s a shame his season has turned out like this as I think he’d be a great fit in one of the wider diamond positions that Telfer and McStravick have played recently.

11 hours ago, Mr November said:

Delighted to have Megwa back. We certainly lack in other areas but I’m not sure there’s many teams in this league where I’d swap our full-back options.

I’m not advocating for changing the shape from a diamond, which has worked so well recently, but we did start a defence of almost entirely full-backs in the first half hour at Kirkcaldy in the 1-1 draw. It looked oddly defensive on paper but we played something like this until Hancock went off injured and looked excellent for that short spell:

Rae
Watson - ATS - Hancock
Megwa - McMaster - McCabe - Ballantyne
Telfer - Frizzell
Todorov

Any word on Murray Aiken? That’s been almost four months now so fingers crossed he can play a part during the last quarter. It’s a shame his season has turned out like this as I think he’d be a great fit in one of the wider diamond positions that Telfer and McStravick have played recently.

The manager did mention in last weeks pre-match preview he had a minor set back but almost ready to resume training. As always he never gives much away with the injury situations and never mentioned McStravick either.

Hancock has really been outstanding going forward so to talk about him staying at the back is a waste of his talents. Watson has 2 assists and 2 goals since Megwa went back to Hibs and Ballantyne scored and always looks like he can get a goal. Megwa is less potent going forward but his superpower is last ditch goal saving tackles. If he had been back for the Ayr game he may have prevented one of the goals with his ability to cover back. His timing in the tackle and in the air suggest he would be better staying back in defence and letting Ballantyne get forward. So much depends on Fordyce being fit. So many of our goals have been conceded by us pushing up and getting caught in behind McCabe and Hancock and other managers can see this and the Hearts and Ayr goals show how easy it can be.

Rae

Watson   Fordyce    Megwa 

Ballantyne         McCabe                  Hancock

Telfer                           Frizz

McGill      CalGal

1 hour ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

Hancock has really been outstanding going forward so to talk about him staying at the back is a waste of his talents. Watson has 2 assists and 2 goals since Megwa went back to Hibs and Ballantyne scored and always looks like he can get a goal. Megwa is less potent going forward but his superpower is last ditch goal saving tackles. If he had been back for the Ayr game he may have prevented one of the goals with his ability to cover back. His timing in the tackle and in the air suggest he would be better staying back in defence and letting Ballantyne get forward. So much depends on Fordyce being fit. So many of our goals have been conceded by us pushing up and getting caught in behind McCabe and Hancock and other managers can see this and the Hearts and Ayr goals show how easy it can be.

Rae

Watson   Fordyce    Megwa 

Ballantyne         McCabe                  Hancock

Telfer                           Frizz

McGill      CalGal

Agree with your team bar the front 2, wouldn't drop Todorov or McGregor just yet.

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

Agree with your team bar the front 2, wouldn't drop Todorov or McGregor just yet.

Yeh, Todorov especially on Saturday as Morton are definite threat in the air with Strapp's long throw in's.

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

My reasoning was that with Hancock in the free space on the wing McGregor would get in the way and Todarov just gets in the way outside the box most of the time. I'd give Gal a run and try to get his link up play back into the team and I still think Gabby will be important for us in the run in. Bring Lyall on at some stage to mix it up and McMaster can interchange with McCabe. Then swap the front pair for Todarov and McGregor with his speed as their defence tires.

It all makes sense on paper.

Delighted to have Megwa back. I think, Saturday aside, we have coped well without him. But no doubt we’re a better team for having a player of his calibre and you can never have too many good players I guess! Also nice that he seems to want to play for us and feels appreciated at Airdrie. Will be interesting to see how McCabe fits all of Megwa, Hancock and Ballantyne in but I hope he does, whether that’s with the back 3/5 or Hancock moved to centre-half. All three have probably been our best player at one point or another this season so it’d be a shame for any of them to miss out. Good job with the signing video @el Gringo

Edited by airdrieman

Looks like it's a back 5 and interesting to see both McCabe and Watson dropping to the bench. My guess would be something like

Rae

Fordyce ATS Hancock

Megwa          McMaster      Ballantyne

Telfer    Frizzell     Lyall

Todorov

14 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Looks like it's a back 5 and interesting to see both McCabe and Watson dropping to the bench. My guess would be something like

Rae

Fordyce ATS Hancock

Megwa          McMaster      Ballantyne

Telfer    Frizzell     Lyall

Todorov

Had a feeling McCabe would drop himself after a poor performance last week. I think this will be it too, the same setup we had in the 1-1 draw at Kirkcaldy with McMaster and Telfer a bit deeper and Frizzell and Lyall playing off Todorov. 

30 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Had a feeling McCabe would drop himself after a poor performance last week. I think this will be it too, the same setup we had in the 1-1 draw at Kirkcaldy with McMaster and Telfer a bit deeper and Frizzell and Lyall playing off Todorov. 

Doesn't appear to be working!

1 minute ago, Jack Reed said:

Megwa,

1 minute ago, Jack Reed said:

Megwa,

Boy is having a torrid time,  we have to ride this spell out this goes to 3 soon and we could be in for a riding,   formation does not make sense,  for all the midfielders we have on the park,  they are invisible,    for the first goal shameful attempt by McMaster to stop Quitongo,  more interested in holding hands than putting a tackle in..

4 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Boy is having a torrid time,  we have to ride this spell out this goes to 3 soon and we could be in for a riding,   formation does not make sense,  for all the midfielders we have on the park,  they are invisible,    for the first goal shameful attempt by McMaster to stop Quitongo,  more interested in holding hands than putting a tackle in..

Full of players like that ,

8 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Definitely not. Weirdly it’s Ballantyne in the back three but miles off it in the opening 25 minutes or so and it’s cost us.

Oakley is bullying the entire back 4 we seem scared of him,    we need to change this up and somehow get the next goal, to make this a game..